Quantcast

What can I do with my Hisense Pulse

Discussion in 'Hisense Pulse' started by sleepraider, Oct 31, 2013.

1. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

With the news that Hisense will not be updating the Pulse, I'm beginning my mental move away from it (and likely gtv) and towards my own HTPC build where I can control the software directly. I'm a linux/tinkerer type, so this likely fits me better anyways.

In the meantime, any thoughts/ideas on humorous or useful things I can do with my hisense? I'll likely try to keep the remote and use it with the htpc I build as it is bluetooth and has a built in keyboard (Dont know if that's possible, but worth a try).

I'm open for feedback. Cant brick it yet, as I'll be waiting until I can build a true XMBC/Sickbeard/Sabnzdb/Linux HTPC. Perhaps I can find a way to make it a very simple server? Hack it and somehow give it some legitimate use?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Try this example w/ your remote ([Fn]+[Enter] probably different).

4. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

Saw your post, and even though I had emailed them and they had replied and said there were no plans for Jellybean, I emailed back and clarified.

Here's the response:

" There are no current plans to update the pulse at all. Sorry."

One could make the suggestion that with treatment like that, they shouldnt even consider themselves customer service-- and others might agree. But I digress. Either way, it's not happening and they clearly dont care.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I thought that it didn't look good when Amazon didn't restock the Pulse. Still IMO there's an outside chance that Google could take over the update and push it out. Google did that for the Logitech Revue Honeycomb update after the Revue was discontinued. I have read some posts on another Forum that mentioned the LG GTV Jellybean update is being rolled out from Google servers.

6. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

Well my complete and utter dissatisfaction noted, if anyone comes across an easy way to hack it and force the update myself, im pretty much ready to update myself and void my warranty. I've come to realize that when dealing with Hisense, my warranty likely didnt mean anything at all.

7. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

On second thought, can I...

-do factory reset of my pulse
    -use the gtvhacker root exploit
    -use adb to push a 4.2.2 or 4.4 kitkat gtv rom to my pulse, thus doing what the machine can handle but Hisense is too lazy to do for me?
    I've pushed rom's to my phone previously via adb, so I have some experience.

Anyone have thoughts on how possible this is/will it work?

TIA.

Sleepraider

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Sleepraider

It is still early yet. Since ya got it, keep it until the other units start to get the upgrade. The Hisense Pulse Customer Service as you probably know by now is not specific to their Google TV product. Simply stated, they might not know what yer talking about.

If in doubt, wait it out...

Later

Carl

9. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

Carl,
    Thanks for the post. Thus far, I've decided a few things.
    1. It's time to move away from gtv and towards a linux based computer I'll buy/build that runs XMBC.
    2. In the meantime, I'll use my gtv for netflix, plex.
    3. The Hisense people were very clear about it not getting the upgrade, and appeared to lethargically know what they were talking about. Way to win over customers.
    4. With #3, I'll become a Hisense evangelist. Gonna buy the Sero 7 friend/ Hisense refrigerator? Let me tell you about Hisense. :)