Quantcast

What are my options to stream shared Smb?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by alvysyngr, Dec 3, 2011.

1. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

I know there is an app in the app store for only $2 that can do this but also heard about Plex. What is my best option to stream Avi, mov, mkv, etc?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Here's is my order of preference of current apps capable for SMB streaming (even though I use DLNA and the Sony Media Player exclusively).

1. GTVBox Video Player
    2. aVia Media Player
    3. File Expert
    Also, I believe that Plex for Android is only a useful streamer if you are using the Plex Media Server on your PC, MAC, or Linux box.

3. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

thanks a bunch eferz - so far I am REALLY liking the Sony over the Logitech

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

5. dullgeek

dullgeek New Member

What are the advantages of using dlna over the apps you listed?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

6. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Plex does require server software active and running on a pc in the network. It will also transcode however which is nice. I use gtv box mostly just because I seem to have better luck with it vs Sony media player.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

For one, SMB doesn't show the cover art that I've embedded in the file. Mainly though, I use DLNA because of its ubiquitous factor. Not all of my devices support SMB streaming, but the all support DLNA streaming.

8. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

Can you suggest a good DLNA server? I am on a Windows 7 Machine and also have a NAS which as far as I know can only be seen via SMB.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I use TwonkyMedia server on my NAS which is a Qnap TS-409 Turbo Pro. It came preinstalled. I only needed to enable it. Since it runs on a low power Marvell 5281 500MHz processor it cannot perform transcoding. Therefore, all my videos have been converted to the MP4 container, H.264 video, and AAC audio format. This also allows me to maintain a constant image quality across all my DNLA clients. By avoiding on-the-fly transcoding, I do not experience reduction in image quality associated with it.

Which NAS do you have?

10. dullgeek

dullgeek New Member

What do you use for pre-transcoding your content?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I used Format Factory to take care of the bulk of my library, but I'm currently using AVS Converter.

Btw, I think you mean "converting", since "transcoding" is the process of on-the-fly conversion.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dullgeek

dullgeek New Member

Thanks.
    Are you sure? Because I have read of many places referring to transcoding as any conversion of a file from one format to another. While real-time transcoding is doing it on the fly. VideoLAN's definition seems to support this wiki dot videolan dot org slash Transcode

(Stupid link limitations!)

• Like Like x 2
  13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep. Although, I suppose the two words can be freely be substituted between one another. I prefer to use "converting" to describe an offline method of "transcoding". This allows me to use "transcoding" to describe an online method of "converting". Besides, both Format Factory and AVS Video Converter advertise themselves as converters not transcoders.

14. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

FYI - I use GTVBox for SMB and it works pretty well. I do still use DLNA for the cover art. The server i use is called Serviio and it works really well.

Just my two cents.

15. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

I don't run a DLNA server - most things I watch are via SMB to a WDTV HD Live Plus box. I would absaolutely love everything to work smoothly with all of my devices and perhaps DLNA is the solution. I have a Cheap NAS box (DLink dns-323 and I don't believe it has DLNA capabilities)

Tonky is only $20, if I were to buy that would it be able to see and present all of my media regardless of where it is? (ie NAS, a shared drive, USB connected drive, etc)? Is it something that needs to refresh every time you add a new file?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Apparently, TwonkyMedia is included in select Western Digital storage devices. Check this link, "Twonky Media Server", for their article in regards to it.

As for your D-Link DNS-323, a quick look at Google seems to imply that it is capable of uPnP streaming. And while not being DLNA certified, it is supposed to follow the majority of DLNA compliance. However, those were from very old posts dating in 2008. You may want to check if there are any firmware updates that improve upon its DLNA capabilities.

I believe the particular product that you're referring to is TwonkyMedia server for computers. I believe they give you a trial period for you to find out and testing it. You should be able to share your media through your PC, as long as it can access the locations and your DLNA clients can access the PC.

Also, if it is available on any of your storage devices then you have already paid for the scaled down version that was included. However, it can only share the media stored within that device unless the company made any enhancements to the package that they distribute with their devices.

17. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

Eferz - perhaps you can clear this up for me since you appear to be very we versed in this topic. Currently I have a WDTV HDLive Plus box which when connected to my shared Windows network via simple SMB can play EVERY file I throw at it minus protected WMV, FLA and some MOV files. It was my hope and dream back at the announcement of Google TV that the Revue would be able to do the same thing (I assumed most devices could since I came from using an XBOX with XBMC which played most popular formats minus HD files) plus add the functions of a browser, etc. When I tried to set up the network I found all those current roadblocks that we all face like unsupported formats, slow starting files and lack of options for alt audio and subtitles. I thought DLNA would solve this by organizing all of my media, offering it up and transcoding it to a format that the GTV could view but after installing the 30 day trial of TwonkyManager I think the attempt was a waste. I still have slow starts and some files just don't work, when they do work it appears to have a hard time FF or REW and you can see that the system is struggling. Is there any true advantage to DLNA in my situation? At this point I am inclined to use my WDTV to watch TV and movies from my SMB NAS box and windows server and the GTV for all the other stuff. I just am not sure if I am missing something.

FYI - My computer is a Windows 7 machine, Intel quad core, 8gb ram with all non essential processes stopped while testing so it isn't a horsepower issue.

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're wrong to think it cannot be a horsepower issue. Transcoding is one of the most intensive process that today's computer can perform. That's why so many high-end graphics manufacturers are off-loading the CPU resources with hardware accelerated codecs and drivers. That's because transcoding requires the computer to decode the original video and audio streams then encoding them into a new interleaved stream on the fly. If it requires to upscale or down for the resolution then that's an extra hit to its resources.

As for the files that do not work, that's a problem with the limited DLNA profiles that Twonky has in their library. They simply do not have the correct DLNA profile for the Logitech Revue. The Android profile is close but isn't exact, so the files which do not work are probably either being transcoded or streamed inappropriately.

In my opinion, file conversion is the best way to go. Not only do you have control of the quality but can also make sure the files exist in a common format that is compatible with all of your devices.

19. les anderson

les anderson New Member

The dns 323 can be hacked pretty easily to run mediatomb which is a good open source DLNA server that runs right on the nas. You can Google fun_plug for more info.

20. drhill

drhill Member

I use twonky on a linux machine (and previously a Windows Home server, the cheapest one HP used to sell) and it works on my the NZ1 beautifully. I believe I set the profile to boxee because twonky was sending ugly low res album art with either generic or android. But I have no problem viewing an episode of Lost which I pulled off my blu-ray and put in an MKV. Using the same 1080p h264 video stream from the blu ray and DTS-MA audio stream. Just packaged in an MKV.

I did wire my house for gigabit ethernet last December. There were some tricks to get from the attic (in a two story condo/townhouse) to my living room on the first floor, but taping a string to an existing phone wire with slack enabled me to get ethernet down there. It is a thing of beauty having all my tv's, server, media streamers all hardwired.