Quantcast

What are good ways to play Video files through Sony GTV?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by likwidsolutions, Apr 1, 2012.

1. likwidsolutions

likwidsolutions New Member

I have the Sony NSX 40GT1 and I am an avid television/movie watcher, but I tend to watch all my shows and movies from video files or Netflix. It's definitely nice having Netflix a click or two away, but for my video files (of which I have 3TB and growing), I play from my Boxee Box device.

I like the Boxee Box because it plays nearly any video file in up to 1080p, and it searches and identifies all my files and finds the cover art and info for the episode or film in question. But the downside is that it is extremely slow. I recently found out that I can play video files directly from my USB drive via apps like Avia and GTVBox. The thing is, neither seem to be able to support cover art (as far as I can tell), and GTVBox seems to have trouble playing certain files (I can't ascertain what kind, some are .avi and some are .mkv, but it also plays some .avi/.mkv), and I don't like Avia's organization.

I also tried out Plex, but only had a few files streaming from my computer just because streaming usually takes longer, just not a fan of streaming. But I am thinking about possibly going with Plex, but I wanted to get some of the opinions here, and see if anyone has any other suggestions for apps that might be closer to what I am looking for (wide video support, subtitle support, and identification and cover art). Another reason I am thinking about switching to playing my videos straight from my TV is because I like having all my remote controls on the one remote (not a fan of the Boxee Box remote), plus it would be nice to sell it if I don't need it.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If you ask me , your current way of doing things is the best as I use plex with my Sony google tv and even though it is all up to date, some shows will not show up video wise when played with plex.

That said the boxee box does what you want and I use it from time to time in the past and like it due to your reasons you posted. Currently I am now using the roku with plex and it pretty much plays what the google tv wont display but is not as pretty or informative as the boxee box.

3. likwidsolutions

likwidsolutions New Member

Thanks for the info. The coverart/information for the TV shows/movies are one of the most important features for me, so if Plex isn't able to sort everything, I think I'll just stick with BB for now. It would be nice if we could get Boxee on the GTV or hell, it would be even more awesome if we could port XBMC to the GTV.

4. 1fatfrog

1fatfrog New Member

I just use the Plex app for GoogleTV to play my all of my media. Plex is kind of like the Colt45 of media servers... "works every time".

I think the app is still $.99, the best part is that the server app is free and you can share your server with your friends and vice versa.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

1fatfrog,
    I mainly use plex for streaming my own videos to the google tv but have had problems with the channels feature of it for some reason. Seems some channels like South Park and Hulu and some others are constantly throwing up the same error when trying to view them. The channels used to work for me in the past but I probably updated something like the flash or plex itself to cause the problem as no one else but me and klink are having the problem.

6. seamonkey420

seamonkey420 New Member

i have a nas that has my movies converted to m4v (bluray, full dolby files) on it and then use the native video player to play them back with. :)

i rip dvds/bluray to hdd and then convert to m4v using handbrake and a custom profile. m4v/mp4/mkv are basically the mp3s of video containers for most routers that let you hook up a hdd to make it a nas or upnp/dlna media server.

7. kuroshhashemi

kuroshhashemi New Member

Anyone having problems with streaming to Google tv from first row sports or some of the other streaming sights? the pages often redirects to the link location of pop-ups just as the stream starts.

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Yes I have the exact same problem with my Logitech Revue. These kind of web sites are "unscrupulous" (and most are offering pirated streams). It's very frustrating.

Sometimes I'm able to get a game to play on FirstRowSports by clicking to make the video go into full stream mode. But other times nothing will work. I don't consider this to be a "Google TV" issue per se - as IMO these aren't really legitimate web sites.

You might try sending an email to the web site administrator to complain about the problem - but I doubt it will do much good. By redirecting when you click the little "x" to remove the pop-up - the webmaster is making more money because he is credited with sending traffic to an advertiser.

9. kuroshhashemi

kuroshhashemi New Member

Thanks. I wish chrome on google TV had some way to just open that link in a new window instead of overriding the existing page (same as on a laptop)