Quantcast

What apps do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by alvysyngr, Sep 28, 2012.

1. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

I don't need to stream files since my WDTV Live handles those (ugly? Yes. Unbeatable Reliability? Yes.) and for music Google Music is adequate (I don't really listen to music in my Living Room though)

I love the Redux app, HBO Go, etc but what else is out there that will make me love my GTV more? I had the GT1 and upgraded to the GS7 and I feel all I got was a bit of a speed bump up and lost the Bluray player (replaced with a standalone)

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

What kind of apps are you looking for? The market seems to be expanding almost weekly. There are some links to some apps you can sideload over on the CoStar forum, for instance sideloading the Amazon Market opens up a number of new apps. Certainly the #1 feature of GoogleTv is the chrome browser, and everything you can view on the .net because of it. If you own an iPad, certainly the AirPlay (albeit somewhat limited) support in AirTight and GTVBox are pretty neat. btw, the GS7 with GTVBox is a pretty darn good streamer. I've run in to some files it can't handle, but it may very well be able to replace your WDTV. The Plex app is pretty sweet if you need to improve the WAF factor of your media library.

3. AlanF51

AlanF51 New Member

The GTVBox media player app has some features that WDTV doesn't mainly faster fast forward/ rewind and the ability to jump in 10% increments; ability to control the volumn

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

I preffer WDTV as well for Video playback as it can't be beat for codec support and zero crashes! I would love to hear from someone with the new Sony box on how it compares to WDTV for playback without the need to transcode.

Well Zynga Poker is sweet! I find myself using searching the You Tube App for new vids from my subscriptions often and ditto on the usefulness of Chrome for webmail, stopping by here and for following the news.

Mitty is super awesome and if you had a network hard drive hooked up to GTV your WDTV Live would be even more usefull!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

As mentioned, GTVBox is very good and fast with or without transcoding, via direct file shares, or UPnP/DLNA servers. It's not perfect as the Sony's support for media formats isn't perfect, but it's very good. Ultimately, it all comes down to whether your formats are supported. When using something that does transcode (like PlayOn for instance) it works very well too.