Quantcast

What App Do You Want To See A Developer Make?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by MSmithGTV, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

I'm a developer and make Android Apps. The next app I make will be for Google TV, so I came here for some ideas.

What types of apps do you want to see?

First I should start by listing what I can't build for you. Or, what are bad responses to this thread?
    • A response like "MLB.tv"
      • I can't make you that...I don't have the license.
    • Or "Angry Birds"
      • Again...I can't make you that. It's an existing application owned by someone else. I can only build a brand new application.
    • Or "An app that processes the Live TV on the screen and directs me to IMDB of the actress"
      • Can't help you there
    • Finally, answers like "An App to control my FIOS DVR"
      • Again...it's not possible for me to help you there (unless they offer web services to query your account, which I doubt they do)
    What can I build then you ask?
    • Normal Apps of course!
      • Games
      • Utilities
      • Organizers
      • Weather
      • Etc
    So, what are you looking for? What types of apps would you want to use on your TV?

• Like Like x 4
  2. chopper

chopper Active Member

A Myth TV Front End that ends up showing search results of Myth TV Content when I do a search for Myth TV content in the TV and Movies App. I would pay to download such an App if it worked flawlessly.

You Rock for offering to get the ball rolling with Apps!!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

How about a version of XBMC that works with Google TV.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tye

Tye Member

1. A better homescreen app. There are other Android home apps that can run on Google TV but they seem really oriented toward phone/touch devices and not tailored to the Big Screen and a remote.

2. Automation app (especially with Tasker). (I must let in be known that the creator of Able Remote has already asked GTV community about this).
    2a. Not sure if it's possible without root but a way to simulate key/touchscreen presses in certain apps.

3. A good Shoutcast radio app.

I'll have to find my list that I've already made... There are more... :)

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

First of all thanks for wanting to work on apps for Google TV. My request is surely way beyond the scope of what you want to try but I would like to see a DVR app for internet streaming, something like MediaMall Technologies has for Windows PCs, their version is a software DVR called PlayLater.

PlayLater by MediaMall Technologies Reviewed

For realistic requests, something out of your etc. category is probably going to be of interest to me but I am not a developer and don't have a feel for what might be doable and won't offer anymore pie in the sky requests. Let us know of a few ideas you come up with and maybe start a poll here and we can vote.

6. zen2go

zen2go New Member

I would like to be able to easily switch between live TV and a streaming app. Some kind of Picture in Picture app perhaps.

If I'm watching, say, a sporting event on ESPN3 website and want to quickly see what's on TV (say, breaking news) I have to quit Chrome and go back to Home to select Live TV. Afterwards, I have to restart Chrome to get back to my streaming event. Too many steps. Lots of wasted time.

Makes me wonder if this is due to limitations within the OS itself.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have found after a year, anything requiring running Chrome simultaneously with other apps is not realistic, apparently these boxes just don't have the horsepower. Trying to run ESPN3 with something else has never worked for me, I played ESPN3 for 3 hours yesterday all by itself and it worked great. Try to do something else during a commercial, it will crash without fail.

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

A karaoke App with CD+G playback and singer rotation playlists ie: Sue, John, Sally in that order over and over again. I was thinking the singers would pick songs from a PC or Android phone/tablet and it would just show up in a playlist on Google TV in the Karaoke App.

9. Tye

Tye Member

What ChrisG8 said. Apologies for forgetting my manners.

My other dream app is a bit more abstract but involves a sort of "Picture in Picture" app set up. Basically, a non-full-screen app (An overlay in Android terminology?) that can be moved anywhere on screen and displays things I might want to know about and is slightly programmable. It would be a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none informational app.

For example, most of the time we wouldn't see it but if something I really want to know about or control happens then it stays displayed in a corner of the screen. Some examples:
    1. When severe weather is in the area it would pop up an alert and a mini radar image that would stick around while severe weather is near.
    2. RSS feeds that only pop up during things that I *really* want to know about.
    3. News headlines.
    4. Maybe some static controls or system info too. Memory, Volume, Quick switch between recent apps, Clock
    5. Quick Note snippets of information that I can type in.

I think this type of app could be interesting but it wouldn't want to grow too large and lose the idea that it's still our TV, not our computer, phone, etc.

10. Tye

Tye Member

A few more additions to the app above for the tools section:
    Mute for one minute then slowly return volume to previous level (for those stupidly loud commercials)
    Fast forward three times pause for xx seconds then play. Not sure if Google TV requires the app to register as a remote control app to have access to play/pause functions. Maybe possible through intents? I haven't researched this. Just brainstorming stuff I don't have time to write myself.

• Like Like x 2
  11. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is an example of Myth TV working as a front end on the iphone. This would be the best thing about Google TV if a developer was able to do the same and with movie sheets so all your recorded content became clickable to play.

Here is a better example for the ipad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  12. redpandaalex

redpandaalex New Member

I really want more games that connect to smartphones/tablets as input devices for individual players. In spotlight there are a couple card games like this, where your hand appears in your smartphone and the board appears on the tv, but I really want more board-game ports. Something like Settlers of Catan, Risk, Dixit, Ticket to Ride or any number of the kind of board game that gets featured on TableTop. I know there are licensing issues involved, but I also know there are a lot of clones of games in the Android market that are slightly different than the tabletop version.

And for monitization, I'll pay for the Google TV app. But I don't want my guests to have to pay for the corresponding smartphone app.

• Like Like x 4
  13. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Hangman for Google TV is not an app yet -
    Also would love a getglue app for google tv that allows me to punch a button and reads what I am watching and asks me is that correct and post it to social sites.
    One app I would love to see made is an rpg game like the old TRS80 Color computer version of Dungeons of Dagorath or even a wizardry 1 type game to explore a dungeon and save the game state to a thumb drive or the tv, etc.

14. chopper

chopper Active Member

I would like to be able to press a button and get a 2.5 minute skip forward result when watching DVR recorded content. I am not sure if this would be accomplished with an App or a macro on the GTV remote. An App that sets up X button to become a macro in this manner would make the set up easy for unadventurous users of GTV. Note: I was able to set up a 30 repeat 5 times skip macro on my DVR remote but not on my Revue.

15. dabibbit

dabibbit New Member

This is exactly what I want: something that will make Google TV an interactive and social experience that can't be achieved with other device form factors.

Basically, consider all of the games you might play with friends where there is a shared viewing space (table top for card or board games) and a private view for each player (your individual cards, your scrabble letter holder, etc). Now, just make the shared viewing area be the TV and the private view be someones smartphone or tablet. Both iOS and Android clients for the private view should be supported since you can't account for your friends' taste in devices.

The key point is that this is a category of applications that only really work on a big screen such as a TV. People sitting around a tablet on a table just isn't going to touch this experience.

Because it opens up a new category of apps that can't be replicated on other form factors, you should focus on building a framework to support these kinds of apps instead of spending time on individual games. Sure, you might implement a card game and a board game to work out what you need in your framework, but the real bonus will be to make a toolkit that others can use to go crazy with creating TV focused social card and board games.

If you figure out how to monetize the kit and to get a slice of what other people build on your framework, then you can multiply your rewards (And if they implement something that is really popular on the market, but gets them sued (Monopoly, Sorry, Life, etc), you got a piece of the action without putting yourself in the cross-hairs. Hell, if you make the framework robust enough that it is widely adopted, other people can worry about securing licenses for good games -- or the game companies themselves might use it to port their board games.

If you don't want to start with building a framework, though, card games should be pretty easy to start with and won't have licensing issues. Down the road: Once you reach the "everyone in the same room plays together" milestone, you'll want to add the ability to play the same games with people remotely. This may even be more common than party mode, but can be achieved on other devices. Architecting the framework to support both will give you broader reach, but don't get too bogged down, too early. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. chopper

chopper Active Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  17. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

How about the ability to map shared files on the network - and vlc or something that will play an equal range of content types.

18. portofdreams

portofdreams New Member

I really want to be able to control what music is playing on my google tv, from elsewhere in my house. Either a remote control app, or an "airtight for music" app.

19. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

Portofdreams: HiFi speaker allows you you to stream music over AirPlay.

20. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

i always wanted a custom ticker.

A ticker where i can add RSS feeds and it will overlay at the bottom of the screen . So i can put new, sport scores..anything like that...

would love that.