Quantcast

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by IsInternetTVForReal, Mar 17, 2012.

1. IsInternetTVForReal

IsInternetTVForReal New Member

So I bought the Sony DVD box with Google TV about 2 weeks ago. I was really excited for about a week, and now have moved from excited to full on frustration. It seems like everything I thought I would be able to do with this box turns out to impossible. My string of the most pressing problems are as follows:
    1. My external hard drive is useless. FAT32 only...really?
    2. Hulu (who is advertising at the top of this forum right now I might add) is blocked
    3. All major TV networks are blocked (or block google)
    4. Anything I want to watch through Chrome results in a total crash of the system due to a bug with Flash Shockwave.

what am I missing here? Are there solutions to the issues above? Is there any other valid reason not to return this box? I really wanted to like this product, but seem to find myself struggling to say anything good about it.

Thanks for your input.:mad:

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You are missing knowledge of how to use the product and how to research products before purchasing for starters. I don't use Google TV with an external hard drive and don't know if your complaint is valid but I do use Google TV a lot and love the product. I use it to stream video from the internet, YouTube, Internet Archive, Crackle, TVFull.com, EpixHD, Amazon Instant Video, Amazon Prime Instant Video, ESPN3 are a few of the sites or applications I use often. I do see the Shockwave Crash error, but less than 5% of the time that happens, certainly not "anything I want to watch". It is an annoying problem without question but it takes me less than a minute to start over when it happens, which thankfully isn't often.

I do see whining posts like yours often so this is no surprise and nothing new. Internet TV access isn't pretty at this point, but with knowledge of how to use Google TV, it has worked wonders for me with my goal of leaving the monthly cable bill behind and finding enough programs to watch. I use an antenna on the roof and TiVo for the networks and in the rare instance when I need to stream something from a site that blocks Google TV, it takes me a minute to connect a laptop with HDMI out to access those sites. Google TV is clunky compared to Roku and Apple TV, in terms of pretty apps, but neither of those can access 50% of what I watch using Google TV so I deal with clunky.

3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I agree with ChrisG8 but to answer some of your questions, all the limitations you mentioned can be bypassed. I myself use playon.tv to watch most of the major tv networks with as well as hulu. There are other solutions as well just search the forums for DNLA options.

As for the hard drive issue, you could invest in a new router that supports DNLA and plug the drive in to it to have access to it. Or last time I checked Amazon was selling refurbished boxee boxes for 129 bucks which allows you to access a lot of the networks and allows you to plug hard drives in it but I think the limit for hard drives is 2 gigs at the moment but they can be NFTS formatted drives.

I really love having the boxee box as a companion to the sony google tv.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I recommend trying these procedures for Flash problems and sluggish performance. These are listed in order of easiest to most tedious. Start with the simplest step first and then test it to see if you have improvement. If you're not satisified with the results then try moving on to the next step:

1) reboot by pressing Ctrl + Alt + DEL

2) go to settings and clear all data from the Chrome app. (you will lose your bookmarks - but this is still less tedious than a full factory reset).

3) full factory reset (press and hold the button in back of Revue for approx. 40 seconds)

Also when pages are loading be careful not to move (scroll) the page. Keep the web page still until it's finished loading. This will improve the stability of Flash.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

With the GTV user agent set to "generic" you can access some additional sites that are blocking GTV - such as NBC, all TV stations owned by Viacom, plus the WB, and CW. (The stations owned by Viacom include: Comedy Central, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick@Nite, Nickelodeon, TeenNick, Nick Jr., MTV, VH1, MTV2, Tr3s, CMT, Palladia). Also the USA and Lifetime channels aren't blocking GTV and have some good full length shows online.

However even on "generic" you still will not be able to view the full videos from the web sites of ABC, CBS, Fox, Disney and Hulu because they take the extra step of including the GTV Flash version in their blocking protocol. (But as mentioned in a previous post you can get Hulu with the Playon server).

I believe NBC used to block GTV by OS & the Flash version also (because NBC didn't use to work with the browser set to "generic") - however somehow after the 3.1 update I think NBC's blocking mechanism got messed up (perhaps because GTV is now on flash 10.2). I know that NBC hasn't changed their ideological policy about blocking GTV - because with the user agent on "default" - full videos from the NBC web site still don't work with GTV.

I personally prefer to keep my Revue user agent on generic all the time. I find I can access more content that way - plus the other stuff such as GTV Spotlight web sites, YouTube, Gmail, and Apps all still work fine for me with my user agent on generic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also have a long thread on this forum called "Project Free TV" - in which users post links to good free content. The thread has gotten kind of long - so it might be a good idea to start at the last page and work forward (for the most recent posts) - also the thread has a search tool (when viewing the thread the search tool is in the grey bar near the top and says "Search thread") Here's the link:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/297-project-free-tv.html

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 2