Quantcast

What about Home Network photos, videos, and music?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Karen, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Karen

Karen New Member

So far, the discussion has been how to get stuff off the internet. How do we get access to the stuff we already have on our hard drives?

2. andcbii

andcbii New Member

It's working great for me so far. I've got a bunch of ripped DVDs(VOB) files and it plays them. It doesn't read the folders like a pc does but it will play them. It plays all the other files i have too .avi and .mpg

3. Hefe

Hefe New Member

I've got the same, lots of DVDs on a NAS box. Can you see and select right off a NAS? How do you see the files? I guess I'm wondering what the interface is like, and could my kid figure out how to play her movies...

4. Karen

Karen New Member

That is my question as well. Can we just "click on" whatever device/drive is housing the content, navigate to a particular item, then play it?

5. qdewolf

qdewolf New Member

what about iso disk images?

6. nagmier

nagmier New Member

DLNA Server... I'm going to use Twonky and see how it goes... they have a 30 day trial

7. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Tversity and Playon are two others to try. I was just hoping I wouldn't even need those. My old SageTV box can pick the files right off a network drive without a server.

8. jking47

jking47 New Member

Have you successfully watched .avi files streamed from your home computer? What are you using to stream? I've got dlna set up via WMP and can see all of my files, but it says all of the .avi files I have are invalid and unplayable.

9. Tiramir

Tiramir New Member

If your using a mac, both Twonkyserver and Medialink work well for DLNA streaming. Medialink will even alow you to sync your itunes listings and playlists. Unfortunately right now files setup in itunes will read as just the episode name for tv shows and the movie name for movies. I'm trying to figure out how to sort tv shows by show and season. Medialink also lists the files in alphabetical order rather than episode order like in itunes and I cannot access my file descriptions. So as far as a graphical interface with file information, google tv hasn't quite replaced my apple tv but I'm optimistic it will soon. File playback is there and is quite good. I was even able to get both my logitech revue and sony tv to play video files wirelessly from a computer on the other side of the house. Apple tv will only play from that computer if it is hardwired into my router. I think once the market opens in January and developers get their hands on the code we will see some drastic improvements in the DLNA capabilities.

10. jrpeau

jrpeau New Member

Another software server that worked great to get my content from desktop to sony bluray GTV was Mezzmo and I think its free nice interface too.
    good luck

11. srochman

srochman New Member

If I copy my entire iTunes directory from my laptop to my NAS drive, will the Google TV box be able to associate the music and the artwork accurately?

12. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

If you have the Revue Logitech has an app on there to play networked media.