Quantcast

Whaaaaaaa!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Karen, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Karen

Karen New Member

Looking for sympathy.

My Revue has been "out for delivery" since 4:31am today. I still don't have it in my grubby little hands. I am sooooooooo bummed.

2. simplygoogletv

simplygoogletv New Member

I remember the feeling. I didn't get mine until 5pm on the day it was scheduled. Stayed home that day, looking out the window at every sound, waiting for that big brown truck!

3. Karen

Karen New Member

It got here. Finally.

Unfortunately, it is now too late to start working with cables in a dark cabinet, and I am exhausted from watching the street (guess I followed your lead!). Tomorrow is another day.

4. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

What time did they show up with it ? Are you enjoying it as much as you thought you would?

Don't forget to tell us all what your first impressions of it are. I'd like to read them !!

Congrats On your New Google TV !!!

5. Karen

Karen New Member

It arrived about 6:45. I still have not had time to get the darn thing out of the box, but I will get to it sometime today. I will give you a rundown of my impressions. I am so excited!

6. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

I can tell you this, It sure is Purdy !!! Just to look at :p So place it somewhere you can admire the box and it's contents till you do hook it up :p

7. Karen

Karen New Member

Yes, it is purdy. The GTV part works fine and is very clear. I can watch TV, but the picture is fuzzy and ugly (I have it set to 1080p). I have no sound. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. I have tried a variety of things, none of which work. My husband is going to have a heart attack if he gets home and finds he has no sound and a butt-ugly picture.

If anyone wants to help out this poor girl who has been at this for hours.....

DTV HR22 STB had HDMI out to AV Receiver (Marantz /SR5001) and two composite cables out to the Marantz. The Marantz has an HDMI out to the TV (Mitsubishi WD-65733).

Now, HR22 HDMI out to Revue, Revue HDMI out to Marantz (port 2), Marantz still HDMI out to TV.

I have tried leaving the composite cables and removing them. I have tried adding an optical cable and removing it. I have tried every input setting on the Marantz with no success in getting any sound. I think on initial setup, I answered the sound input question wrong (which port Aux 1 or whatever), but now I don't know how to go back and change it. I can't find anything in "Settings" other than 1080p (is that right?) and something about the Optical (Dolby or something else - tried both). Tried powering off all units and powering back up again.

I don't know what to do now other than disconnect everything and put it back the way it was. Grrrrrrrr!!!!

However, I think (if I can ever get it to work) I am going to love the remote and GTV. That part (at least) is a joy. I am just not tech savvy enough (ok, at ALL) to figure out the rest.

8. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

I'd put the Logitech Revue between the TV and the AV Receiver, Last into the TV set (nothing in between it).

By all means too, leave it on 1080p, it looked horrible on my TV before I set it on that too. You think it would have been smart enough to know it had a 1080i/p tv on the other end of the wire :p

9. Karen

Karen New Member

I got the picture thingy straightened out. Turns out I was just on some ugly football channel. All the rest seem crisp.

Hmmm. Don't know how to do that.

HDMI out from DTV to Marantz, HDMI out from Marantz to Revue, HDMI out from Revue to TV?????

Not sure if that is what you meant, but I will give it a shot & let you know. THANKS.

10. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

That is how I would recommend hooking it up

11. Karen

Karen New Member

JIM, YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!!

I could kiss you full on the lips. It works perfect now. Thank you sooooooooo much. My husband thanks you, too - LOL. Hopefully he will never find out I spent all day on this.

I am off to play. I LOVE GOOGLE TV. I think.

12. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

The top is so shiny and pretty, I left the plastic on it so it won't be full of fingerprints..
    Stick with it Karen, if it don't work one way, try another way....
    Well??? Do you like it?? Don't press all the buttons at once, stuff will start going weird on you...
    Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

13. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Congrats, Karen! I'm excited for you! :D

14. Karen

Karen New Member

I am amazed. I really love it, though there are a lot of things I need to learn. My husband came home a little bit ago. I gave him a little lesson on how to use the remote. Then he stole the remote from me!!!!!!!!!!! That dirty dawg!

I will have to say, that the only thing that I don't like (so far) is that the print (google search, and most websites) is way too small for us to read from where we sit in the living room (about 20' away from a 65" screen).

Tomorrow I have to install my new router and modem (4G WiMax). However, with my current DSL (nowhere near living room), the Revue connected right away and even detected my network and all the computers in the house. It had no problem connecting with Netflix and the internet. AND my Revue is in a cabinet with the door closed! This was all very exciting, since I really didn't think it would work. My Roku never did very well with the same setup. WiFi and Revue work like a charm - wirelessly.

Besides my obvious excitement over Google TV itself, I managed to fix (due to funky wiring by original installer) my audio issues. DVD's always sounded good, but DirecTV had less-than-optimal sound. All fixed now, and regular TV never sounded so good.

I am SO loving the remote. We will still use our Harmony remote to power on/off the entire system, but other than that I love that you can do everything else with that handy little lightweight keyboard. The touchpad is kind of weird (but I don't even like the touchpad on my laptop), but everything else seems good.

More to come - if I can ever get the remote back!

15. Karen

Karen New Member

Hey alphawave7! Thanks for all your help early on. You have just GOT to get one!!!!! This is just the coolest thing EVER!

16. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

Hey Karen, I am Happy to hear it all is working good for you, and that your husband didn't chew you out for messing up the TV :p

Oh, I am Not a Genius Karen, Just someone who has gone before you into the fray of Google TV, who has Learned, and willing to pass along this new found knowledge :p

17. alphawave7

Still strongly considering it, even if it offers me little at the moment over my original Roku (got one of the first out on day 1) player/streamer. Apps is where GTV will shine! Which reminds me to ask...is the 'old' version of Netflix really as painful as Leo suggests on the GTV, compared to the Roku's 'new' version? I LOVE the Roku version, where I can queue/select vids from the interface. :)

18. Karen

Karen New Member

I can't really answer that - yet. I haven't used my Roku since mid-summer, and it did not have the option of adding things to my queue (that I noticed, anyway). The GTV app version looks exactly like Roku looks (or looked). Just the vids (from your queue) in a line that you scroll through, choose, then play. I have not yet tried actually going to the Netflix site through Chrome, but I would guess that you could do it that way. Double steps, though, and you should be able to do it from the app. You can't. Yet. LOL.

19. alphawave7

They changed a LOT since those days..you can now fully browse Netflix, recently watched, etc. and add everything 'on-the-fly'..much like I had dreamed it would d from day 1! LOL! What router did you end up with, and do you want any help with that? If you have another tv, hook up that Roku, and give it a go, I think you'll enjoy the 'new' netflix, and all the numerous new channels added in the Channel Store. :)

20. Karen

Karen New Member

I will hook up the Roku - probably in one of the guest bedrooms (won't guests love that!). Thanks for that idea - never crossed my mind (duh).

Channels? Channel Store? Where/what is that?

I bought the Buffalo (one of the one's that you suggested). It is still in the box, and my project for tomorrow. And if setting up a modem and router is anything like my GTV experience today, yes, I will need help! However, the stress was worth it, in the end. I so appreciate all the help from the people on this forum!

It is the Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless-N essential high power router & access point WHR-HP-G300N. At least, that is what it says on the box!