Quantcast

well I got a roku today.... its going back..!!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i was kinda wanting to try one of them roku players.. see if it worked any better, or was better suited for internet connected tv... its not...
    i played around with it for 10 or 15 min.. and was kinda over it.. its just not a very robust device.. mho.. i mean if you like net flix its great but the interface is so simple
    there is no way to interact other then click left click right ok... and most of the curated content is just ok.. perhaps i was just spoiled with having a big pipe of internet just spilling content all over the place...
    the roku is like a sippy straw.. kinda.. if you dont want to go too deep or are ok with what the powers that be want you to have access to... its ok.. but i would pick a google tv with all its faults and content problems with networks hulu and all that.. over this hands tied behind the back and just press ok kinda deal... its just not a very rich experience.... and the two are near the same price.. so.. well im sticking with google tv.. and the next one that comes out at that... im hooked.. sorry perhaps my expectations were set way too high... or i was spoiled by GTV.. no offense roku fans its a neat little device... its just not much of a great experience for me... awell... 10 min... dang.. perhaps i will try a boxee..

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in the Roku because it doesn't have a web browser.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chopper

chopper Active Member

dito ya gotta have a web browser

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I also prefer Google TV over Roku. I know a lot of people like the Roku boxes but I want a web browser and full size keyboard.

5. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I share your sentiments... I think if more people could get to have this kind of comparative hands-on they'd stop ragging on the GTV so unfairly.

• Like Like x 2
  6. adsldrew

adsldrew New Member

Thank you very much for the Roku review!
    I also wanted to try it out. But not now.

btw: about boxee--- This is a quote from engadget dated March 12th and titled

"GTVHacker teases Boxee for rooted Sony Google TVs"

So maybe soon we can try Boxee on our GTV! =)
    My favorite price = FREE...

7. x586

x586 New Member

I think y'all missed the point with Roku. It's simple internet tv, that just works. You don't need to know web addresses or how to do this and that. It is left, right, forward (ok), backward ANY IDIOT can use it, your grandmother can use it, and half the people that buy one can hook it up without help. That simplicity is what makes roku such a great device.

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

The review by Scuzzo was very helpful. I'm sure many GTV users are looking for alternatives to get around the media blocks. But devices like Roku do have a legitimate place in the market for the very reasons they are disliked by tech savvy folk. Often I see articles where the more robust product, be it DVRs or internet streaming devices, fail because of complexity of use.

The average user of any device geared for entertainment does not want to relearn how they watch TV. They want a plug and play device that functions seamlessly as an addition to their home entertainment system. So I think (not that it matters) there is room for all levels of internet connectivity from a plethora of devices.

The company that provides multi-levels of internet interaction from the simplest to the most complex TV experience will RULE the market!

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I didn't miss the point, I understand the ease of use and nice apps with the Roku but I can't get to about half of the sites I use Google TV for with Roku which makes the Roku inferior for my needs. Want to find something with Google TV, I use the keyboard and web browser for a comprehensive search. I understand people want internet TV to look nice and neat which means the Roku has a niche market.

10. halox

halox New Member

It's true. Nice and simple and for many years served my purposes. GTV is for those of us who want more - but if you want a solid Netflix experience that your kids or your in-laws can use, you can't really go wrong with the Roku.

11. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

The great thing about the GTV for me, is that it can be both worlds. I can dive in as deep as I want and do all kinds fancy tech stuff if I want, or for my wife's benefit, she just presses the power button from the same universal remote we always used prior to the TV and can do everything she would normally do without even having to ever touch the keyboard.

12. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

We have a Logitech Revue unit ($99) attached to one TV and a Roku LT ($49 when I bought it) attached to another TV. They both provide a lot of enhanced viewing options for video streaming and when you layer on Netflix ($9/mo.), Amazon Prime ($6/mo., & PlayOn ($1.60)/mo. subscriptions, that work on both devices, on top what each device can do seperately it really provides all we need. The cable company only has our $$$ for high speed internet access now and we're saving over $100 a month on what we previously had with a three service plan.

13. vetvito

vetvito New Member

Reason I love GTV, remote and I dont have to change inputs. Freaking love it!

I was debating on getting a Apple TV(XBMC) for the bedroom, but I'd hate having to use another remote control, and switch inputs.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk