Quantcast

Welcome to the Sony NSZ-GS7 Forum

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by dandroid, Jun 28, 2012.

1. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Sony NSZ-GS7 Forum section on GoogleTVForum.org!

• Like Like x 2
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Seems to have some horsepower, here is a link for overview & Specs.

Video & more Specs here.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The 3-Axis motion sensor for gaming is one of the differences between this and the Vizio box, someone with more knowledge about OnLive gaming and other Google TV gaming is going to have to explain how important or unimportant that is.

4. Shadez

Shadez New Member

I'm sure someone will come out with an app to duplicate the features of the new remote so that one can use their phone as a remote for 'future' gaming options.

5. drhill

drhill Member

Does the Visio remote have a microphone too? I'm not sure if this box does, but I remember Sony's website saying the new blu ray player remote will.

6. ChrisG8

I think voice command remote operation is another feature included with the Sony but not the Vizio. I guess I needn't bother with trying to identify the differences until the products are in consumer's hands, then we can make a comprehensive list.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Wow!

Just setup the GS7. I almost did a back flip when I got my first look at the remote. Are ye folks kidding me? I love this remote. Not one of the new units have a remote that is in the full qwerty model. They all have the keys arranged in an annoying text style layout. So ya have to squint to find numbers, symbols, and the basic key arrangement. All of them had the @ key on the same side as the FN button so ya had to do an acrobatic dance every time ya signed in somewhere.

And there's a light...

I'm now sharing my DVR between both devices using my HDMI splitter. The setup was exactly like the Revue. The GS7 didn't like my Seiki LC32G82, but that's ok because I HATE the SOB! So I switched out the Revue & connected the GS7 to my AOC. which the device mated w/immediately.

All my Apps & Launchers appeared shortly after upgrading the device to current level. It was a wonder to watch as each app went smoothly through the auto-update process in less than ten minutes. The only other device that transferred my Apps as Google intended was the Hisense Pulse. W/the Vizio & NeoPrime I had to manually download each app. A very painful process I'm glad not to have to repeat!

The Quick Guide worked on the first try w/my lineup waiting to be edited. Altho I have to edit the channels it does show all my favorites & queue.

None of this really surprises me. This is how a device is supposed to work. Unfortunately, I've gotten so used to companies putting out products to meet a deadline rather than focus on quality assurance. Get it out/Fix it later...

Thanks

Carl

Oh, note to Chris. When I got the Unifying Receiver, I realized one came w/the K700 keyboard I bought a while back. Just couldn't figure out what it was...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  8. twospirits

twospirits Member

Congrats on your Sony.
    I almost spilled my soda when I read "The GS7 didn't like my Seiki LC32G82, but that's ok because I HATE the SOB!" lol

yeah the Sony is sweet. I love mine. Looking forward to Sony issuing the update this quarter so the GTV hackers can put out their hack and then this machine would really kick booty.

I ordered the voice-activated remote today so hopefully by weeks end the NSZ-GS7 will be even more better.

TS

• Like Like x 2
  9. Carlszone

Hi

Here's a few things I can now compare w/the Vizio Co-Star. The dedicated Amazon.com App was a plus. But...But, the remote has an obvious flaw. While playing a movie in the app, ya would think you could easily fast forward or back. But when ya hold down the FF or REV button, the remote causes the movie to continuously move fwd/back until ya hit the play button. This also happens if ya press FN too long while trying to find the damn number or @ key. By the time ya look up from the remote there is a line of about 20 @@@@@@@@@ symbols. I'll be doggone if I can figure where this quirk comes from.

Yeah, they got the Amazon app. But it dies out like everything else on that useless device. Yeah, a factory reset will fix it. But who the hell wants a device ya gotta continuously reset to factory conditions? This should always be a last step. I have used Launcher Pro on all the devices I've owned. It allows for up to 7 screens w/Pandora & Slacker widgets, Weather widgets and even a Google Play Store widget that flashes the latest top new app available. The Revue has operated for several years w/out ever needing a Factory Reset except for the 3.2 upgrade. Yet I keep hearing folks advising users to do a factory reset for some of the slightest problems. I hate redoing my screens.

The GS7 runs like the Revue in the background. It doesn't take over yer TV viewing as long as it is on. The Vizio makes its omnipresence known by often refusing to recognize the HDMI signal. Therefore, interfering w/TV viewing. Because of heating problems the Vizio has to be turned off unless ya want yer entertainment system to look like a cooling lab w/external fans and other adaptations geared toward cooling this abomination of a Google TV device. But ya can't view yer TV while the dang thing is off!

Lastly & most important. If yer like me, ya don't turn off these small low powered devices. It ain't gonna cost ya much more on yer electric bill. But the Co-Star, that Prima Donna of GTV devices will auto-factory reset. Sweet... Yeah, we want all the enhancements of these new & so-called improved devices, but at what cost? Wait, wait, wait...untill they update our devices. If they don't, go Roku, Win Media Center, anything but...

Just Saying...Don't buy into the hype...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  10. ChrisG8

The proper Amazon app is coming to the NSZ-GS7 and all other second generation Google TV boxes, hopefully this quarter but if not soon after.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Carlszone

I believe that...

12. Carlszone

I've got another K700 Keyboard coming. I paired the extra one I had w/my PC. Everything works except shortcuts that require the windows button. But just pinned all important pages like the Control Panel to my Start page. Can't wait to pair one w/the GS7. This is the first time I've been able to use one of these remotes w/out the lights on. The backlight is a neat feature. I like that it turns itself off when ya flip it.

I Really am home...

Carl