Quantcast

Welcome to the nVidia Shield Android TV Forum!

Discussion in 'nvidia Shield' started by dandroid, Mar 5, 2015.

1. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the latest addition of GoogleTVForum.org dedicated to the upcoming Android TV device from Nvidia called "Shield"

NVIDIA SHIELD brings next generation gaming and entertainment to the living room. Watch movies and videos in stunning 4K, play amazing Android games and stream the best PC games from the cloud.

2. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

This device is awesome! If GRID works well, the Shield Android TV console could give Sony and Microsoft a run for their money! It definitely has more raw horsepower, so it will depend on what games can be played on it.

3. stuberman

stuberman Member

I am finally thinking of replacing my old Logitech Revue Google TVs. I have grown to love the keyboard and being able to switch between TV viewing and apps. Now my decision is what to replace them with?

I am impressed with the Shield Android TV in terms of its specs with plenty of horsepower to last for a while. My old Revues were getting pretty sluggish on the app side of things. However two or three things are lacking that are keeping me from just ordering one:

1. No direct support for Amazon Instant Streaming video. This finally stopped working on the GTVs and from reading forums it sounds like there is uncertainty about Amazon rewriting the app for Android TV. (And Netflix is not my friend.)
    2. No HDMI passthrough between my ATT Uverse set top box and my TV. Having to switch HDMI inputs is a pain and means more remotes. (And the Shield Remote is optional!?) This was a genius feature of the Logitech Revue.
    3. Will this really improve my TV experience or will it just lead to being a victim in the Google vs Amazon vs Apple TV fight? So far it feels like all of these companies are not putting the consumer's best interest at heart.

So in my quest to regain Amazon functionality I either need to roll the dice with a workaround for Shield or go with something like an Amazon Fire or Roku 3 or wait for something better.