Quantcast

Welcome to the Kindle Fire TV Forum!

Discussion in 'Amazon Fire TV' started by dandroid, Apr 2, 2014.

1. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the latest addition of Google TV Forums, dedicated to the newly announced Amazon Kindle Fire TV running Android.

• Like Like x 2
  2. WERA689

WERA689 New Member

I just read a quick blog entry about it.....looks VERY interesting!

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

4. guest

guest Active Member

Voice-control only and no keyboard? That's not a Google TV replacement. Roku, maybe.

5. ChrisG8

At first glance it appears to me to be a potential Roku and Apple TV killer. Both of those boxes work really well with what they do so the Amazon Fire will have to be easy to use and work as promised to beat Roku and Apple TV but it is a more powerful, more ambitious box with greater potential.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that a bluetooth keyboard will work with the Amazon Fire TV (need to research it further) - plus it will probably have apps for using mobile devices as controllers.

I don't see a web browser listed in the Fire TV apps section right now (see link below) - but since it's an open app ecosystem there could be a web browser added down the road. I was hoping the Amazon Silk browser would be a dedicated app on this device? I do see apps for Plex and YouTube:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sr_aj?node=7031433011&ajr=0

(I understand that an HBO GO app is supposed to be coming soon).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  7. ericd

ericd Active Member

The omission of HBOgo, no mention of a browser (with Kindle's Flash player) and the $99 price are all real minuses for me. I was expecting a lot more from the announcement. It initially doesn't look like Fire TV does enough to differentiate from Apple TV as a streaming device. The remote looks like a total copy of Apple's and On Live should receive at least 1/2 of all the controllers profit.

The games and controller are nice additions but at $140, it's definitely not an instant impulse buy for me. The box does seem to have created quite a buzz, so it should be able to garner a good deal of support from developers.

I was expecting to be blown away by the new box, given all the build up to the announcement. I fully expected a device that would allow full (or close to full) Android Playstore support and a browser with Kindle-like Flash support.

I was ready to come home today, look at a couple quick reviews/ previews, get on Amazon and pre-order the new Fire TV. After the little I've read up on it, I'm more in a wait and see mode in regards to the box.

8. ChrisG8

That processor with 2GB RAM and 8GB Flash storage sure seems to me to differentiate the Amazon Fire TV from Apple TV. I don't have plans to buy it either but my needs are met by Google TV.

9. ericd

ericd Active Member

Good point Chris, maybe I was just expecting too much from the announcement. I was anticipating Amazon blowing everybody out of the water with their announcement. They had quite a buzz built up around the event and could have really got a jump on all their competition with a better, more open product.

As it stands now, the new box just seems set to further divide the already overly fractured Android enviornment. I mean, you already have in the Android Playstore, the Chromecast section, the GTV section, the Sony GTV section, the Kindle section, the tablet section, the various phone sections and then all apps that are blocked on this device but work that one. After a while it all gets to be too much. I was hoping (and still kind of have some hope) that Amazon could have swooped in and solidified the entire Playstore by delivering a device that was open fully to all (or more realistically, most of) the Playstore.

I'm sure the Fire TV will be a success and with that success it'll draw its fair share of developers to develop for it but it won't be the end-all/ be-all of streaing boxes. I bet the folks over at Apple breathed a big sigh of relief after Amazon finished their "me too, but ours is slightly more powerful" event.

There's not much the new box can do that I can't currently do with my Rikomagic 802 IV. Although admittidly, the cheaper Chinese made dongle can't compete with Amazon when it comes to hardware quality and customer service.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  10. ChrisG8

The situation with the various boxes running different modified versions of Android isn't ideal but I am expecting first rate performance and ease of operation. It doesn't do as many of the things I need as my three year old Google TV box, in fact comes up way short, but the boxes that do the most popular things well and easily are the ones that sell. This is head on competition for Roku and Apple TV and has the potential to beat anything we have seen from either.

As far as a single box that handles everything, this one is not even close and neither is anything else.

• Like Like x 2
  11. saeba

saeba Active Member

When I think about how I use my GTV....

(1) Amazon Prime - OK
    (2) Plex - OK
    (3) Vudu (1080p video and 5.1 DD+ audio!) - No
    (4) Crunchyroll (anime) - no
    (5) Web Browser - No

So doesn't really seem like a replacement. The addition of game playing.... not a big attraction for me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ericd

ericd Active Member

Yeah, me neither but I can see where others would disagree with us. Amazon does seem to be placing a lot of stock in gaming on the Fire. It will be interesting to see how effectively the game app developers can get there touch screen controlled apps to map onto the Amazon remote(or controller)

• Like Like x 2