Quantcast

weird dimming issue when watching Blu-rays on NSZ-GT1

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by sludgepickle, Mar 8, 2013.

1. sludgepickle

sludgepickle New Member

I have a Sony NSZ-GT1 connected to an Onkyo receiver, which is connected to my 47" LG CFL-backlit LCD TV. I notice that when I watch Blu-ray movies, I often see the image dim then brighten again and repeat this with an irregular pattern. My LCD TV is not LED-backlit and I don't think it does any kind of local dimming, so I'm thinking it's not the TV trying to dim the backlight for dark scenes (if it is, the TV is doing a horrible job of it). It may also happen during bright scenes too, but I only notice it during dark scenes. Has anyone else seen this behavior? If so, does anyone know the cause, and better yet, a solution?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

My LG 50" plasma, 50PJ350 with Sony NSZ-GT1 connected will dim as it sees fit and it is the television that does it, not the NSZ-GT1. I don't see anyway the Sony box can cause this issue and I also think my display doesn't do a great job of knowing when to dim but I decided I can live with it even though I do notice it at times. You might put your LG display number with automatic dim or something like that and do a search and see what you find.

• Like Like x 2
  3. sludgepickle

sludgepickle New Member

Yeah, I suppose it could just be the TV doing a crappy dimming job. I guess I only noticed it after I started watching movies on the Sony...not on my old dvd player. I'll see what I can find online for advice for the TV. Thanks ChrisG8!

4. fahrenheit

fahrenheit New Member

It will almost certainly be a power saving/eco feature that is kicking in. Disable all power saving functions and any ambient light sensor functions which monitors the room's ambient light level and adjusts brightness on the fly.