Quantcast

Websites requiring cable subscriber credentials (login/pswd) don't work on Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Hlathay, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Hlathay

Hlathay New Member

I originally wrote a similar thread because people were upset they could not use NBC Live Extra on Google TV to watch the olympics. But I think the problem with this issue deserves its own thread because it is so annoying.

Not being able to access videos on websites that require cable subscriber credentials (login and passwords) looks to be a content provider/device issue. I have tried to login to both NBC Live Extra (owned by Comcast) and Cartoon Network (owned by Turner) using my login to Direct TV and my sisters login to Cox. And I have tried this on each web browser for Google TV, a Galaxy Tab running Android, a Galaxy Nexus phone running Android and even an HP Touchpad. All of those devices can play video through their respective browsers, but no matter what combination I try, after logging into the cable subscriber, nothing happens. My guess is that just like you can't watch Hulu or full NBC shows on a tablet's browser, the content providers (Fox, ABC, NBC, Turner etc.) are continuing to block video to certain devices, even when you have a subscription to cable. The issue in my opinion is that the content providers really want you to do most of your tv watching via cable tv so you can watch the prime time commercials, which is how the content providers make most of their money. An odd exception is the IPad Cartoon Network App, where you can watch full episodes if you login with your cable credentials.

Don't get me started on the obvious reason why cable companies have created the login/password model-can anyone say cord cutting?

I figure the day that we can watch television shows on the Internet without complications will be the day that Internet service costs twice as much from the cable companies and high end commercials from prime time start playing every 15 minutes for during a show. In the U.S.A. at least, it will always be about the money to be made.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course it is annoying but I have been a cord cutter for about 3 years now and for me it requires:

1. Antenna with TiVo for OTA.
    2. Google TV.
    3. Blu-ray players including the PS3 with various internet streaming options.
    4. Laptop with PlayOn/PlayLater.

If it makes sense for the networks to make programming available on the internet for free with advertisements, I believe eventually it will make sense for streaming boxes like Google TV to have access to that programming. After all more viewers should be better for advertisers and there is nothing about Google TV users that should make that market less desirable than PC users. I realized it isn't going to happen soon, if ever, so I was forced to add a PC to my list of options for a workable solution for cutting the cord.

There isn't anything Google can do about it, it is a business decision and the various networks and Hulu have the right to block Google TV or require a player unavailable to Google TV. I use Google TV a lot as is and would prefer to use it for everything internet streaming but since I can't, I just accept this reality. Since Google TV is basically a tablet computer without a screen and with a special operating system, browser and HDMI input/output, I am disappointed some internet TV providers believe deliberately preventing Google TV access is a good business decision, but it is their decision to make so I live with it.

As far as the pay TV requirement for some streaming access, that is just business trying to protect their interests, nothing more, nothing less and understandable.

3. Hlathay

Hlathay New Member

Hey ChrisG8, sorry if it sounded like I was complaining. You are right that businesses are going to do what is in their best interests. I was mostly trying to say that the problem is not Google TV, but the content providers themselves and the fact that they choose not to provide programming to so many different types of internet devices. My family cut the cord two years ago, and we have been mostly happy with the decision. We use Google TV, Xbox, laptop connected to tv (like for the olypmics) and buy digital movies when we want to buy them. Unfortunately, even though we get cable, we are in a rural area of Arizona so can't get OTA. Bummer. I actually think the future of TV will be the internet (traditional cable tv will move to the internet). And as is normal, businesses will then charge what the market will bear.

4. ChrisG8

I don't know what the future is going to look like, so far the move from pay TV to internet TV hasn't amounted to much but maybe that will change in the coming years. I am not currently using any monthly pay streaming services but I do rent from Vudu and Amazon some, maybe a half dozen movies a month, always something on sale.

I have a lot of different boxes but overall I am happy with quality and program selection. Without the PC connected, it was a struggle to find enough to make it work but since I added the laptop and PlayLater, the last piece of the puzzle, I am happy.

5. ChrisG8

I should add, I don't really know if Hulu has been good from a business point of view since I have no idea about ad revenue generated and how it is allocated to the various content owners. I suspect it hasn't been a success and if that is true, it may mean that type of service could go bye bye rather than expand to include these cool little streaming boxes..