Quantcast

WebOS Lives On: LG Sells A Million WebOS Smart TVs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 2, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

WebOS lives on: LG sells a million webOS smart TVs - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - June 2, 2014

-- WebOS never made a big splash as a smartphone or tablet operating system. But it looks like it might have a serious shot as a smart TV OS.

After acquiring the remnants of webOS from HP last year, LG started shipping smart TVs powered by the operating system in March. And in just a few months, LG says it’s sold over a million televisions running webOS software.

Does that mean there’s a huge demand for webOS televisions? Not necessarily. LG is throwing the software onto big screen televisions that many people would have probably paid good money for whether or not they supported social updates from Twitter or video streaming from Netflix or Hulu Plus. After all, you could basically do the same thing by plugging a $50 Roku into the TV.

Still, the more webOS televisions end up in living rooms across the world, the more reason there is for third party app developers to support the platform by creating web apps designed to work with LG’s smart TVs – although LG says its focus is on providing the simplest possible user interface rather than the most features.

LG expects to bring the platform to more than 150 markets by the end of June, 2014 and sell as many as 10 million webOS televisions by the first half of 2015. And that could make webOS for TV a much bigger success story than webOS for phones and tablets ever was.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am skeptical if LG thinks there are a million users of their webOS smart TVs now and I don't believe for a second that there will be 10 million sold by next June but careful wording probably means I won't make a claim of deliberate BS. The claim "expects to sell as many as 10 million" which only means the company doesn't expect to sell more than 10 million reads really silly to me. I will agree LG won't sell more than 10 million and predict LG will sell only a small fraction of 10 million but that won't make that statement false, only selling more than 10 million would mean LG didn't meet its expectations.

3. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Looks like LG is going all-in on WebOS, with plans to use it for its entire lineup of smartTVs next year

LG Makes Push for Internet TVs - WSJ

hopefully that means their app store will cross the 30 app mark soon :) (then again, it feels like like being back on GTV.. an OS with lots of promise and a mostly empty store :) )

5. CatfishRivers

Simplicity is the key - not the number of apps -:)

6. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

considering there is only *1* app I've downloaded.. that is too few. Might as well not bother with an App Store at that point.

EDIT: and I'll disagree further.. I never complained GTV was too complicated.. my complaint was that it could only access a very small subset of the full Play Store and that the CPU's were no longer up to the task. If you want simplicity, buy a TV with a totally walled off OS.. but that is not what I want.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  7. CatfishRivers

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Typical but I don't know what the big disappointment is here. LG predicted they would not sell more than 10 million WebOS TVs before June 2015. Clearly the company will meet that expectation, by a big margin.

9. CatfishRivers

Yeah I think LG WebOS are selling pretty good and the reviews have been favorable. I think the article was more focusing on the in-fighting within the LG organization over their WebOS TVs - and several of the key members from the LG WebOS team have left and moved on to a different venture. Not sure what that implies for the future if anything - but I suppose the author feels LG's investment in WebOS has been compromised due to the departed members of the Web OS team. I know LG plans on coming out with 2015 models of their WebOS TVs.

Smartwatch company Pebble hires webOS UX and design leads — Tech News and Analysis

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014