Quantcast

Watching QVC live TV via QVC app on Costar

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by gorkam, Aug 2, 2013.

1. gorkam

gorkam New Member

I have downloaded the QVC app and it starts up just fine on the costar. But, it only shows the items available, and won't play the actual live broadcast like it will on other devices like my PC.

Any ideas? The costar is fully patched. I suspect it might be a problem with Flash, but I thought Flash was native to the Chrome Browser.

I've also tried navigating directly to QVC.com and again Watch live Tv does not work on the costar, but it will work on other devices.

Is this a setting issue?

Thank you.

Gorkam

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. There is a GTV version of the QVC app - however the GTV version does not contain the live stream:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qvc.gtv

The android version of QVC contains the live stream but it's not compatible with GTV.

The QVC web site upgraded to Flash 11 - thus it's not compatible with GTV. (GTV currently only supports Flash 10.2)

There is a chance that after the GTV Jellybean update the QVC for android app will work on GTV (with the live stream). We'll just have to wait and see... The Jellybean update is supposed to be rolled out in the third quarter.

3. gorkam

gorkam New Member

Ok, that makes sense at least. Not being able to watch QVC is one of the deal breakers for my wife on cutting the cable, so this has been a huge issue.

I will hope it gets updated as well.

Thank you!

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me?

QVC live streaming is all over the internet! Try QVC. Are you folks using the most important tool available to GTV users? The integrated search feature?

Lemme know...

Thanks

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

Carl that link you posted is for the UK version of QVC. The QVC live feed from their USA web site doesn't work with GTV. They upgraded to Flash 11. The feed might be available from shady web sites offering bootleg feeds (from the Google search). But any other web site that simply embeds the official USA QVC stream to their web site won't play on GTV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I found a live USA QVC feed that works with the GTV browser. It's on the FilmOn web site. FilmOn uses technology similar to Aereo to pull in the live OTA feeds and then rebroadcast the feed online. FilmOn and Aereo are controversial - but thus far the courts have ruled against the TV Networks in their attempts to shut dowm FilmOn/Aereo:

http://www.filmon.com/channel/qvc-hd

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Carlszone

Catfish, there are many other legal secondary feeds for almost any legitimate site out there. While these feeds are not openly acknowledged by the networks, they do get advertising and other benefits from such sites. This is the only way for the networks to get revenue outside of their contracts w/the cable conglomerates. That makes them legit.

You really think sites like Chat Pro are streaming their feeds w/out the consent of all the networks involved?

Get real! Networks hate the limitations as much as we do...

Carl

7. CatfishRivers

Just because a site has advertising on it doesn't mean it's legitimate and approved by the TV networks. For instance FirstRowSports has already been shut down once by the feds - and then a mirror version popped up right away.

FirstRow Live Football Stream | Watch Live Football Online | Live Soccer Stream

Do you consider FirstRowSports a legitimate site? There are all kinds of scumbags that have no issues at all with advertising on piracy sites. FirstRowSports is loaded with ads.

The Feds can't shut down all the piracy on the web - it's an impossibility. They shut one down - and a new one pops up. And the fact that some of these sites have a 'pseudo' take-down policy doesn't make them legitimate. Remember the old Megaupload? They had a take-down policy, paid subscribers, advertising, the whole kit & Kaboodle - but it was still a 'sham'.

I don't know what the deal is with Chat Pro premium - but I don't really see anything in their regular service that isn't already openly available on the internet for free. On their regular service I see RT, France 24, CBS Newsfeed via Ustream, Al Jazeera, Pentagon channel etc. Those feeds are already legally available on their official web sites for free. What channels does the PRO version contain?

It wouldn't surprise me if Chat Pro premium was operating without the content providers consent - I noticed their domain is an "eu" domain. That means their server is probably in some country that would make it very difficult for US Feds to shut it down. Hmm such a coincidence that they have an EU domain -:)

As far as Aereo is concerned - it only has OTA channels - and is currently involved in litigation with the networks. Can you point me to a link of a 'legitimate' web site streaming free premium cable channels?

8. Carlszone

Catfish

All I'm saying is that the networks want it both ways. They blocked GTV with little more justification than the fact that it wasn't a mobile device. I can watch Youtube videos and all of a sudden I get the error msg that this freaking video cannot be played on this freaking device. This kills the stream.

So forgive me if I ain't that concerned w/the legitimacy of sites that provide an alternative to a system that can't possibly cater to the next generation of media enthusiasts. We're all gonna be looking for EU alternatives. Maybe this is the right place to start a revolutiion in the TV broadcast industry...

Carl

9. gorkam

gorkam New Member

Yes, I did find the Filmon stream earlier, but I wasn't willing to subscribe as it looked a tiny bit shady. The UK stream may work just fine. My wife doesn't like to sleep without the TV on, but most channels have scary or questionable commercials now. So, QVC is safe to leave on all night.

Still, I'll look forward to the potential Flash update on GTV.

Thank you for all the great info.

10. CatfishRivers

The SD version of QVC is free on FilmOn. Only their HD feeds require the subscription.

Unfortunately there will be no more Flash updates on GTV. In fact the GTV Jellybean update will completely remove Flash from the GTV browser.

It's possible that there might be a Flash workaround after the Jellybean update - but we can't know for sure until the update rolls out and we do some testing.

* A bit of background information about FilmOn from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FilmOn