Quantcast

WatchEspn

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by ronnycopeh, May 10, 2014.

1. ronnycopeh

ronnycopeh Member

Do anyone know of a WatchEspn that can be side-loaded to work with CoStar. I have downloaded several but all they do is spin and the only working one is thru playon. thanks in advance.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No WatchESPN app that I am aware of but the browser should access WatchESPN, I used it for years until Roku added a WatchESPN channel, now I use Roku. PlayOn works by using a PC browser and may or may not be better than direct access using the Google TV browser.

3. ronnycopeh

ronnycopeh Member

Thanks, I tried the browser and it didn't work for me, but I have the playon app and it works great just like it does on my pc and you can get it in HD. I don't playon by browser.

4. ChrisG8

I use PlayOn and like it a lot, great way to access the few sites that block Google TV and some that Google TV just doesn't have an app for but should.

• Like Like x 2
  5. saeba

saeba Active Member

Absolutely... I said this in another thread:

But the point Chris made is valid, I started with a powerful PC server as the heart of my solutions and that really is key. Plex and PlayOn/PlayLater on my PC cover a variety of weaknesses in the GTV solution (missing audio/video codecs, no Hulu/HuluPlus, inability to play content from many websites).

6. txakura

txakura New Member

I realize I'm over a month behind on this thread, but I waited until I could see what was happening with the TV distribution of the Canadian Football League before I started looking at what I needed. Previously, I watched the games on ESPN3 via GoogleTV/Chrome on my NSZ-GT1. That worked until I moved last year. The issue is, ESPN3 has this thing about you getting your Internet from one of its sponsors. At both my old location and my new, I was subscribed to AT&T U-verse, which is one. B-U-T at my new location, I find - or found - all the games in the menu were shown with a key next to the name of the event, which means they're locked to me. The really odd thing is I have the WatchESPN Android app on two Kindles and one Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, and I can watch ESPN3 just fine on any of them! They all access the Internet through the same (higher speed) DSL as the computer and GoogleTV. I was hoping I could get a thorough explanation of how to find and install a copy of WatchESPN on my GoogleTV to see if I can now watch the CFL through ESPN3 that way.

If anyone has a process to find, download and install WatchESPN on a Sony NSZ-GT1, I'd really like to hear from you.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's been reported that the WatchESPN app doesn't work with GTV devices on the Honeycomb update - while GTV devices with the Jellybean update can sideload the ESPN3 app and get it to work. Unfortunately the Sony NSZ-GT1 won't be receiving the Jellybean update.

8. ChrisG8

I am not sure how you're getting ESPN3 with tablets and a smart phone through your ISP if that ISP doesn't provide ESPN3 for a PC or Google TV. Have you entered the authentication on the PC or Google TV? What location and ISP? AT&T U-verse and Comcast Xfinity both offer ESPN3 here in Little Rock, AR but I am not sure of the other options for internet.

9. bobz

bobz Member

Yes I can only play this thru Playon.

Is it worth paying more for playon HD ? I don't know.

10. txakura

txakura New Member

Obviously, if I can get ESPN3 on the tablets, I have entered the authentication. Up until I moved, I had no trouble receiving ESPN3 (directly) on the PC and GTV. What I get on the tablets and phone is "WatchESPN", which then provides access to ESPN3. Difference? I don't really know, except on GTV and my PC, I can no longer receive ESPN3 without having all the entries on the grid locked.

I gave up, BTW, and bought a "lifetime" license to PlayOn to watch the CFL, since for the immediate future, all the games will be broadcast in the US on ESPN, 2 and 3, which is my main reason for watching. Funny how that works: ESPN owns 20% of TSN, the Canadian Sports Channel(s), and has usually carried all the games - except for last year, when NBCSn carried some. I knew that wouldn't last, since they're going after NASCAR in a big way, and most anything else will be considered excess baggage.

I can't rationalize purchasing a newer version of the Sony Blu-ray player with Google TV, since the one I have that works just fine, and what I need it for, is badly splintered among many different pieces of equipment. Therefore, the money I spend on PlayOn will do.

11. ChrisG8

PlayOn HD is worth the cost to me but it depends on what you watch and what kind of display you use as to whether or not I would say it should be worth it for you.