Quantcast

Watch on PC

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by zwenti, Jan 25, 2012.

1. zwenti

zwenti New Member

This question has probably often been posted, but I am unable to determine a clear answer yet. So please forgive me for asking again: I do not have any TV-Standalone-SET, nor Satelite-Dish, nor Set-Top Box at all. Since years I am just using a PC, (16 Mbit DSL Line) with dolby surround and a HD-Beamer to satisfy all my Media Entertainment needs.

So will I be able to watch Google TV ?

Zwenti

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether or not you understand what Google TV is, otherwise you'd probably would not be asking that question. Google TV is not a type of show. It is an Android Device which is designed to amalgamate the television viewing experience with the internet. So, the answer is "No, you will at least need to buy a Google TV device to use it". But, if your question is whether or not you can use Google TV without a set-top box then the answer is "yes". Google TV can be used as a stand alone device. You'd have to get one of the televisions with built-in Google TV along with an OTA antenna to enjoy the synergy of integrating the television and internet experience.

P.s., "HD Beamer" is that some fancy term for an HD projector?

3. zwenti

zwenti New Member

Yes this answers my question. With just a PC hoocked up to the Internet no Google TV. Similar here in Europe: for Instance, Deutsche Telekom offers (pay) TV via a DSL Line, but the Data can only be received with a set -top Box connected to a standalone TV, NOT into the PC connected to the SAME VDSL line.

HD-Beamer= HD-Projector. Funny enough , that in Germany some English words are in use for Items, whereby the same words do not exist in the English language, like "Handy" for "Cell-Phone", or "Beamer" for Projector.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ooo, is this one of those cases where if I were to asked for a rubber then you'd give me an eraser instead of a condom?

5. zwenti

zwenti New Member

Well not in this case, "rubber" has a translation into German= Gummi. (also used for "Kondom"). What I am talking about is the creation of an "English-Term" in Germany, which has NO translation into English. "Handy" was probably created by a poor English speaking German, meaning the mobile-phone holding in his HANDS. Some kind of Pidgin English.

In a similar way, the term "Beamer" was introduced, meaning a projector.