Quantcast

Walmart Currently Offering The Vizio Co-Star For $78

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 17, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Walmart is currently offering the Vizio Co-Star for $78:

VIZIO CoStar Stream Player with Google TV: TV & Video : Walmart.com

I don't see any mention of the Co-Stars being offered on the Walmart site as being refurbished models. So it looks as though they are new.

IMO something appears to be up with the Vizio Co-Star. Amazon has been out-of-stock with Vizio Co-Stars for several months now. They only offer the Co-Star through third party sellers:

Amazon.com: VIZIO Co-Star Stream Player With Google TV - VAP430: Electronics

Nothing has been officially announced - and I'm not 100% certain - but IMO it looks like Walmart is liquidating it's stock of Co-Stars at the reduced price - and Amazon isn't re-stocking the Co-Star.

Which could mean that the Co-Star is in the process of being discontinued. The best news would be if a new updated Co-Star was on the way. Perhaps there will be basically the same product (just a different model number with new packaging) for the Jellybean update.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think Amazon will be carrying the Co-Star new any longer either but I believe the reason is likely the product had a high rate of customer returns. I have seen Amazon, not only Marketplace sellers, carrying the Co-Star new within the last few months but recently Amazon has had nothing but customer returns. I don't think Amazon sells other seller's returns at Amazon Warehouse deals, those are available from those sellers directly and there are usually plenty of their returns as well. Currently Amazon Warehouse Deals has 14 of those in stock.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: VIZIO Co-Star Stream Player With Google TV - VAP430

I purchased one some months ago when there were even more available. It was not defective although I accept the original purchaser couldn't make it work well enough to keep. If Vizio continues to compete in the Google TV market, I would hope the company changes the design, IR from the remote isn't my preferred way to use Google TV. Although it might run a little warmer than the other models I own, keeping it in the open and well ventilated has avoided any overheating issues for me. The only time I use mine is when I need to run two live feeds of sports programming and switch back and forth and the last major golf tournament was the last time I used it.

I don't know if Vizio will have another model or not but if it was my decision, a Blu-ray player with Google TV would be the next model.

3. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

I have returned one in favor of a Sony GS7 and this news makes me want to replace the other one as well. If there is not a Jellybean update before my 90 days with Walmart is up I will have to return it. No way I ant to be stuck with non supported discontinued hardware this early in the life cycle.

4. CatfishRivers

I noticed that Amazon is also currently out-of-stock for the Hisense Pulse:

http://www.amazon.com/Hisense-Pulse-with-Google-TV/dp/B009VXUFLG/ref=pd_sim_e_1

It's only been several days since Amazon went out-of-stock for the Pulse - so it's too early to a draw a conclusion that they won't be restocking. However I think it warrants watching for the next several weeks.

One thing that I noticed that I thought was a bit strange: About 3 months ago the price of the Pulse dropped down to $79.99 (from $99.99). It stayed at $79.99 until several weeks ago - when for about 1 week the price went up to $99.99 - then came back down to $79.99 before going out-of-stock.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. smile99

smile99 New Member

thanks alot to share all information with us .

6. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. ChrisG8

• Like Like x 2
  8. CatfishRivers

Chris that's interesting. The Co-Star model# ISG-B03 is the model that comes in the colorful box. The Co-Star VAP430 is the model with the plain box. As for as I know the hardware is the same. Just different box.

If you go to Vizio web site -----> then click "products" -------> then click "stream players" --------> you will end up on the following web page:

VIZIO Co-Star Stream Players | Upgrade any HDTV to be a Smart TV | VIZIO

And on that page is the comparison between the new Co-Star LT and the original GTV Co-Star. From that page when I click to buy the GTV version - I'm taken to their web page that says the Co-Star VAP430 is no longer offered on the Vizio web site. So if this an error and Vizio still plans on offering the Co-Star then they really need to update the web site.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  9. ChrisG8

I think Vizio has created a mess with two Co-Star models and three Co-Star model numbers for those two devices, causing confusion for potential buyers. I consider their deviation from the standard Google TV model a mistake also and for all I know adapting the Google TV Jelly Bean operating system to their Google TV device could be problematic. There are several differences in the menu, setup requirements, how it operates and how it controls other devices. I use mine for ESPN3 when I want two streams simultaneously and for Netflix, nothing else. For the other things I do with Google TV, integrate with TiVo, play media and daily internet use, I don't like it as well as the other models I use. I purchased it from Amazon, a customer return, mostly to see if I can help other owners with various issues. I would use it for Vudu, my girlfriend's account is set up on it, but it doesn't work for Vudu. I can't think of anything I prefer about the Google TV Co-Star compared to the Sony NSZ-GS7 and overall consider it inferior to the Sony NSZ-GT1 with the current Google TV operating system.