Quantcast

Wallpaper: Can you really use it on a GTV?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by DalGoda, Nov 3, 2011.

1. DalGoda

DalGoda New Member

Yesterday I was fooling around with my Sony Google TV (With the OS upgrade, there is a lot to mes with). Anyway. I have no other Android devices, so this might seem like a very stupid question, but I must ask. If you set up wallpaper (static or live), where is it viewable? The TV is set to use the cable box as its start screen, but I sort of guessed that the wallpaper I chose would appear behind the menus when not on TV. Would I need to set the default screen to something else in stead of Live TV to take advantage of the wallpapers? By no means is this a life or death situation, it is just slightly annoying to select a wallpaper, see confirmation that it was installed and set as default, but not to be able to see it outside the app that lets you set wallpaper. If anyone has the answer, please let me know. Then I can move on to trying to get Chrome's Angry Birds to play on the darn thing. :)

Thanks!

Dal

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

While you can set the Wallpaper setting on GTV Home > GTV Menu > Home and All App Settings > Wallpaper, it seems like they superseded Live TV as your "active wallpaper". Even if you exit Live TV while no other app is active, your configured wallpaper isn't shown but a blank screen instead.

3. Chiron16

Chiron16 New Member

You need to install Launcher Pro... then click home button ... select LauncherPro . You will see the Android home screen you are use to. Select the Live Wallpaper you want by clicking on the Menu button. Remove the buttons on the taskbar (phone/contacts). You can also add as many shortcuts and screens as you need.

Live Wallpaper does work... I have the Aquarium running now. Its Awesome!!!!!

4. DalGoda

DalGoda New Member

Thanks!!! I will now set about trying your solution. I was just stymied, I couldn't understand why one could install wallpapers that couldn't be enjoyed. Update soon.

Now, I wonder if I can do screen shots? Hmmmmmmm ;)

Follow up: Installed, but when I try to launch it asks me to try again later. At least it is polite. Now to hunt for the reboot option on the TV, I would hate to just pull the plug.

Follow up 2: After a restart Launcher Pro launched. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. Chiron16

Chiron16 New Member

To use Launcher Pro... click the 'home' button on your Sony remote. Select Launcher Pro... do not click set as default.

And to select live wallpaper just click the 'menu' button below the 'home' button. :cool:

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Heh, it seems like a complicated process to get it working but it does. It even works after uninstalling Launcher Pro and rebooting. Thanks for the suggestion. I would have probably never been able to figure out this rigmarole on my own.

7. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

Mine works fine. Set the wallpaper you want then select picture in picture and you will see your wallpaper.

8. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I also use an app called 'Home Switcher' which will allow you to toggle different launchers (LauncherPro,ADW,GoEX,etc.). See if it works on GTV...

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Maybe it was because I used a Live Wallpaper instead of a static one. I dunno.

10. DalGoda

DalGoda New Member

Now I am feeling especially stupid. I still can't see my wallpaper choices, but thanks to my meddling, I now have multiple unwanted icons on the Home screen (not app drawer) that I cannot delete. If I hold down on the "mouse button" I see a trashcan icon appear, then slide back off the screen. Sort of frustrating. At least my instinct to not set as default launcher was correct, and I did manage to get rid of/replace the dock icons that are not needed. I am guessing if the TV had a giant touch screen, it would be easier to use. ;)

I will play around after work tonight. By the way, since I got the TV I have been using a real keyboard and mouse and sort of ignoring the remote. Works great and the integrated buttons, like "Home" on the Dell keyboard work just like the ones on the remote. I can "swipe" the screen with the mouse too.

Again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions. If I can get rid of the duplicate icons for tv/movies and the new folder, that would be great.

Dal

11. achtung515

achtung515 New Member

you dont need launcher pro: just hit menu from your main screen, hame and all app settings, start up application, none.

12. DalGoda

DalGoda New Member

Success! I finally managed to get my Live Wallpaper to work on my Sony Google TV. The trick really was to use the picture in picture (PIP) function. I don't know why this is needed, but it worked. I started out looking at TV, then did PIP, then chose my wallpaper, and it stuck. After playing around with various examples, I discovered you may need to click on the PIP button more than once. A little cumbersome, but it actually works.

On another note, I was also able to delete those duplicate shortcuts and empty folder that I had created by mistake. Also I finally removed the accidental widget I got from the world clock.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions. I look forward to playing with all of the settings and testing various apps. I did learn I couldn't use the drawing app, even though it installed.

Dal

$screenshot.jpg

13. Chiron16

Chiron16 New Member

Thats how mine looks as well, without the PIP. My third home screen has no shortcuts so its like a big aquarium. LOL

But, I have my live wallpaper running most of the time...I like the look of the aquarium.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  14. Chiron16

Chiron16 New Member

I use launcher Pro to have multiple home screens. One with game shortcuts the other with App shortcuts.

15. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Can someone try 'Window Paper' app (market) for me and see if it can work on the Revue, please? TIA! :D (when 2.0 arrives, o'course)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  16. rggeiger

rggeiger New Member

yea I got it working on the standard home,
    check out my widgets, too much fun:p
    View attachment 233

17. achtung515

achtung515 New Member

got anything besides a thumbnail?

18. halox

halox New Member

Or you can always download "CURRENT WALLPAPER" from the Marketplace. Works with the regular launcher - no need to change to LauncherPro. Just displays whatever Wallpaper you have currently selected. Good to have up for a little Aquarium action - just wish there were some better live wallpapers to use for visualizers. Anyone have a favorite?