Quantcast

Wal-Mart takes another shot at streaming movies

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Wal-Mart takes another shot at streaming movies

July 26, 2011 [​IMG]

Wal-Mart is taking yet another shot at the movie download business by launching Vudu on Walmart.com.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Wal-Mart must be hoping that the third time's a charm: It announced Tuesday that it is launching an in-house movie streaming service directly on Walmart.com.

Wal-Mart , the world's largest retailer, said it is fully integrating online video service Vudu -- which it acquired last year -- on Walmart.com.

A cloud-based video movie service, Vudu lets customers rent or buy movies over the Internet and stream them to their TVs, Blu-ray players and a variety of Vudu-enabled devices such as Sony's PlayStation 3 and HDTVs from LG Electronics, Sharp and Panasonic .

Beginning Tuesday, Wal-Mart said customers on its website can rent or buy a digital movie in Vudu's extensive library, pay for it and stream it directly from Walmart.com, Vudu.com or from a Vudu-enabled device.
    The company said movie prices vary depending on whether the content is standard definition or high definition.

[​IMG]

Vudu movie rentals on Walmart.com range from $1 to $5.99, while purchases range from $4.99 to $19.99.
    Vudu 3D movie rentals range from $3.99 to $6.99, and 3D movie purchases range from $11.99 to $21.99.
    Wal-Mart will also offer a daily "movie of the day" to rent for 99 cents on the Vudu platform.
    Wal-Mart said every Friday the 99-cent movie of the day rental will be determined by consumers, who'll get to vote on Wal-Mart's Facebook page for the most popular pick among new releases.

Unlike competing services such as Netflix, the Vudu platform on Walmart.com does not offer any subscription service, and the retailer said it does not currently plan to offer such a service.

Netflix price hike? Stock's pulled back!

Shoppers can also buy movies on DVD or Blue-ray discs on Walmart.com.

Vudu general manager Edward Lichty said the service currently has more than 20,000 movie titles and its library is rapidly growing. He adds that movie studios are "very excited" about the service launching on Walmart.com.
    Steve Nave, Walmart.com's general manager, was equally enthusiastic, saying the initiative backs up Wal-Mart's assertion that "it is in e-commerce to win and not to play."

Still, it's hard to ignore that Wal-Mart's two prior forays into the movie download business didn't work out.
    The retailer abandoned its online DVD rental business in 2005 after it failed to take off. As part of the shutdown process, Wal-Mart directed customers to Netflix .

Wal-Mart again launched a video download service in 2006 in partnership with major Hollywood studios and powered by Hewlett Packard . It also quietly shut down that service a year later. Nave said the the second venture failed because one of the vendors pulled out.

But citing Vudu's "strong business model," Nave said he's pretty confident Wal-Mart will be successful this time around.

SOURCE

2. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Sounds like they are betting on people leaving Netflix in September.. I know I will be just to make a point., if more people band together when things like the Netflix 6x% hike, business owners would think twice about pulling moves like that..

3. Rickaren

Report: Netflix to Lose More Than 2M Subs

26 Jul, 2011
    [HR][/HR] Fallout from the pending 60% price increase will see upwards of 15% combined disc/streaming subscribers cancel service.

A day after producing solid quarterly results, including a membership base above 25 million, Netflix is projected to shed nearly 2.5 million subs in the third quarter due to a pending price increase for combined streaming/disc rentals, according to a new report.

The cloudy future for sub growth contributed to Netflix shares falling for a second consecutive day July 26 before increasing slightly in after-hours trading.

Indeed, after Los Gatos, Calif.-based Netflix announced the price increase earlier this month, 70% of its dual streaming/disc rental subscribers — which represents the majority of its membership — cited their displeasure, according to a telephone poll conducted by Frisco, Texas-based research firm The Diffusion Group .

The study — based on a group of 500 Netflix subs — found that from 12% to 15% of streaming/disc subscribers would cancel service in the next six months. Netflix, in a July 25 letter to shareholders, postulated as much saying its expects “some subscribers” to cancel in the third quarter (which ends Sept. 30) before bouncing back in Q4.

TDG found that 44% of dual-service subs are likely to cancel DVD-by-mail but keep their streaming service. Access to a limited but growing streaming library on all their connected devices is apparently more important than having access to a larger, more current library of physical discs.

In addition 34% of dual-service subscribers are likely to cancel their streaming service but keep DVD-by-mail.

“This is a significant finding,” said Michael Greeson, TDG founding partner. “It suggests that, at least among dual-service subscribers, preferences have tipped to favor video streaming over physical discs. This was a central assumption behind Netflix’s risky decision to change prices at this time in the game.”

Greeson said the subscriber departures could be short-lived when compared with alternative streaming channels such as Amazon Prime and Google, which offer even less content.

“Once they see what alternatives exist in the marketplace, Netflix won’t look so bad,” he said.

SOURCE

4. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Sometimes you need to make a point, and my point is to cancel service based on their actions.

If it was a gradual increase I could understand.. But it's cold turkey..

The streaming library is not that good so disc rental should be what you pay for and the streaming library is an add-on (I believe that's how it started out) for a nominal fee not priced the same or nearly as much as the disc library.

I don't know I still say it's the principal.. I own 2 Sony Google TV's so content is always available from the QAM tuner, DVR, NAS, or the NET..

If you don't like a company's practices tell them about it (Hulu, Netflix) and if nothing changes take your business (Money) elsewhere.

Customers make Companies.

5. bidger

bidger Member

:rolleyes: Uh...yeah...sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  6. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

actually, it's up.

Walmart.com: Movies & TV: Video on Demand by VUDU

I'm at work so I can't try it out, but i clicked through a harry potter movie and it looks like you can rent SD, HD and 1080p and stream for 24 hours all for the same price.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Several months ago I tried using the Vudu service with my Revue and it did not support Google TV at that time. I haven't tried it again via the new Walmart service. Hopefully it will work with Google TV - but I kind of doubt it.

8. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

Here's to hoping for apk installs via gmail attachments!

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

OK I just tried the new Walmart Vudu movie service with my Logitech Revue. Here are my findings: 1) First of all Walmart has a web page for supported internet devices (for the Vudu service). The Google TV devices are not listed as supported. Here is a link to that web page: Walmart.com: Electronics: TV & Video: VUDU-Enabled Devices

2) I tried playing a Harry Potter trailer and that worked - HOWEVER when I clicked the link to play the first two minutes of the movie I got a message on my screen that my version of Adobe Flash was not supported - and it gave a link to download the latest version of Flash ( Google TV users are unable to download). So it looks like for now the Walmart Vudu service doesn't work with Google TV. Hopefully after the 3.1 upgrade it will work.

10. Rickaren

Hard to believe its been 8 years!

11. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Until walmart offers an unlimited streaming plan like netflix at an affordable price, they won't be a threat to netflix.