Quantcast

Wait, Can The Xbox One Really Run Generalized Windows 8 Apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 22, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Wait, can the Xbox One really run generalized Windows 8 apps? | Ars Technica (click for full article)

by Kyle Orland - Oct 22 2013, 2:55pm EDT

-- With only a few weeks until the Xbox One launches in North America, we're still learning new things about the console and its features. Still, we were a little shocked when a listing on Dell's Web store this weekend promised that "all your favorite Windows 8 apps [will be] able to be run on and synced to your Xbox One. Now your phone, desktop, tablet, and TV can all give you a unified Web and entertainment experience."

Could Microsoft really have kept a potentially game-changing feature like widespread Windows 8 app support under wraps for this long? A Microsoft spokesperson was incredibly terse and vague in responding directly to the Dell listing, telling Ars in an e-mailed statement that "the suggestion that all Windows 8 apps run on Xbox One is not accurate." (Yes, that is the entire response.)

As denials go, the 14-word statement is less than absolute. Specifically saying that not "all" Windows 8 apps will run heavily implies that perhaps some apps will run on the console. An incredibly close and literal reading of Dell's marketing could also note that it didn't promise "all" Windows 8 apps would run, but only "all your favorite," so there might not even be a conflict there.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

This would have a major impact on the TV space. It would certainly be a game changer. Even people not interested in gaming, such as me, have been watching the Xbox One developments with great interest.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Dunno, but if it can, you can expect that they'll force you to buy the App through their Market.

My new Android dongle toy will run Splashtop. That opens up the PC world very nicely for me on my TV.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The XBox One sounds great and appears that the price will be justified but for some reason I can't help but believe it won't live up to the hype. I thought the Wii U sounded great based on the press before launch but apparently the reality hasn't been all that great.