Quantcast

Vudu Launches Free, Ad-Supported Video Streaming Service "Vudu Movies On Us"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 19, 2016.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. CatfishRivers

I tried this new video service with my chromebox and it works good except I can only play the movies in standard definition. When I click to play a movie I keep getting a message that my TV or my connection doesn't support HDCP and thus for copyright reasons I can only stream in SD. I have a new Vizio TV and good HDMI cables so I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the chromebox or what the problem is.

My internet speed is only 3.6 MBPS so perhaps that could be the reason. They recommend a speed of 4.5 MBPS to watch the movies in HDX (1080P). However I noticed that the video quality in SD is excellent. So it's no big deal for me.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Chromebox is good for SD video and stereo audio streaming but if I recall correctly, I couldn't get HD video or Dolby Digital 5.1 audio so I quit using it as a streaming box. I reported my findings a year or so ago when I bought mine but I haven't checked lately so I will check when I get a chance. Your internet speed won't work for HDX even if the Chromebox is capable of HDX.

4. CatfishRivers

I'm able to stream in HD on YouTube and some other sites with my Chromebox. I don't subscribe to Netflix so I can't test that. I think the sites that don't stream in HD are due to some incompatibility with the HDCP (copyright protection) of the chromebox. It's not due to a limitation of the hardware. In other words the chip in my chromebox is certainly capable of streaming 1080P video. Anyway for my tastes 720P is plenty good enough and that generally works well with my current internet speed. It might be just as well (for me) because Comcast has gone back to setting usage limits (although the limit is set pretty high).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  5. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016