Quantcast

vs Revue

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by tomm1079, Aug 5, 2012.

1. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

I have the revue and i dont have manyi ssues with it.

Is the sony box worth the upgrade?

Im considering this over the Vizio box since the Vizio box does not have internal IR blasters.

2. Maximus

Maximus New Member

No don't upgrade. Personally I did not find a single benefit of upgrading from the Revue. It feels, it looks, and behave exactly the same. Yes it has a dual processior, but I did not see the difference in performance from the revue. It is not like the box needs to multitask. Multitask what? Running 2 apps at the same time, it can't even to that, yet along surf the web and listen to music, so what's the point of having dual processor. Also, I am experiencing so many issues with the sony box that i did not with the revue. The Revue is actually a very very good product. When the Sony drops the price to $99 and upgradde the OS to 4.0 than you buy it, most likley in Feb 2013. So stick with the revue for now and even wait for the 3rd generation box. And oh don't be fooled by the nice looking Sony remote, that thing is so small, I don't think it is very friendly, and can't even turn off the cable box, while the revue can... imagine!..... so stick with it.

3. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

only upgrade if you want a new remote. the speed is not worth the upgrade cost. the nsz-gs7 does not have DTS support (Even revue does not have that). it is very useful if you stream videos from computer or external storage with DTS audio. i would wait for nsz-gp9 and upgrade since it has DTS and blu ray support and voice control etc etc.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course we don't know yet if there will be new applications requiring the ARM processor or new applications that benefit from the ARM processor but my guess is that within a year, the ARM boxes will run more applications or run enough applications better to justify an upgrade. I wouldn't upgrade based on a guess so my thought is just wait and see.

5. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

Very good to know.

Thanks guys. I will hold off for now and just keep an eye on things.

6. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

For me it totally worth the 199$. No more lag, chrome is snappy and no more flash crash. I can now download torrents on Mitty while watching tv without losing the tv sond. Also, don't expect any update from logitech the box will just getting worst and worst, sony has always been commited and release updates frequently. But the best test it's the gf test, she hates so much the revue because it is so laggy and chrome just crash all the time and now she just love the new box and enjoy the new remote. IMO life is to short to be pissed off by the revue performance, I loved mine but there is something better now.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I had the Revue, liked it but never really used it a whole lot. The keyboard was nice but just too inconvenient. I just bought the new Sony and really like it. It's not perfect but small things make it far better for me. In particular, the remote is really good. The commands seem more consistent, though not perfect, and Plex works great with it. It has no fan which is another plus as I don't care for media player fans. The Revie fan was ok but I could still hear it and it bothered me. The connection to our PVR works better with the Sony and it controls out LG TV far better than did the Revue.

I far prefer the Sony, though I can see why people may be reluctant to upgrade from the Revue. It's still not clear where Google is going with Google TV. Maybe nowhere.

The advice to wait is a good one, but then you miss out on the excitement of seeing where things go. If money is an issue then stay put I guess. If you like new gadgets the the Sony is a fun choice.

Philip

• Like Like x 2
  8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^^^
    Congrats.

Btw, have you tried to pair/install another mini keyboard to the GS7? (like Lenovo Multimedia Keyboard).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  9. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Thanks... I use the Lenovo Multimedia remote (the backlit one) with my Mac Mini. I was wondering if it would work. I'll try it in a few days. Be interesting as I really like the Lenovo remote. Mind you, it wouldn't have a lot of the neat things that the Sony has but it would be good with Chrome and maybe even Plex.

philip

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

A good possibility Lenovo's remote might work w/GS7 (since its already paired w/ its usb dongle).

Btw, Revue’s keyboard can be paired w/GS7 - in case you’re interested of how.
    & Sony’s remote can be paired w/ Mac (not sure if it would be useful) - just in case you’re interested of how.

11. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

i personally love the Revue keyboard. I have a logitech harmony remote and the keyboard is a perfect compliment to it IMO.

Does the Sony box have any way to allow key combo shortcuts to apps? that would be a huge one for me.