Quantcast

VPN options for Vizio Co-Star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by TrooperThorn, Nov 19, 2012.

1. TrooperThorn

TrooperThorn New Member

Forgive me if this has been addressed somewhere in this forum already, "VPN" was too small a search query to use the advanced search, and a Google search didn't turn up much for me either.

What I need to know is if there is any way to route the Co-Star's traffic through a VPN? This seems to be a built-in Android feature across every device I have ever used under the Wireless & Networks menu.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  2. guest

guest Active Member

I've done some research on this and will post it tomorrow as it is late in the evening where I am.

• Like Like x 2
  3. guest

guest Active Member

Thanks to catfishrivers for this link. Google TV VPN - Get Netflix, NBC, HBO on the Google TV - How to setup a VPN on the Google TV? | ST4RT-VPN Blog

In the link, it says that you can use a VPN service with GTV, but need a router that contains a special type of firmware - DD-WRT.

Many routers can be flashed with this firmware. The problem is that if you don't know what you're doing, you can brick the router. Also, there are many versions of this firmware. Your chosen VPN provider may only work with a certain build of the firmware.

If you want to read about this firmware, there is a forum created specifically for it. DD-WRT Forum :: Index

Here is their list of supported devices. Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Not all VPN service providers will work with a DD-WRT flashed router. There are hundreds of providers. You'll have to check their websites to see which support DD-WRT.

I was trying to decide whether to buy a Samsung ChromeBook or a new router. The VPN service provider, which answered all my questions on the subject, was www.privateinternetaccess.com . I'll plug them, because they responded very quickly and knew the technology. I give them five stars for that and will use them if I decide to use a VPN. Their pricing is very reasonable - $39.95/yr. with unlimited service. I've never used a VPN before, but from what I've read, pages load slower. If they load too slow with PIA, I'd have to go with someone else.

This PIA provider said that one could connect a Google TV to a DD-WRT-flashed router and use their service. Alternatively, one could connect the ChromeBook to the DD-WRT-flashed router and use their service that way. I would like to find a service where the ChromeBook could be used without the DD-WRT router, too. Since I don't have a ChromeBook yet, I haven't researched that issue.

After much research, I decided on this router - to be bought, if and when I decide to use a VPN service provider with GTV. It's the Buffalo WZR-300HP. It's a new model, from a few months ago. Amazon.com: BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N300 Gigabit Wireless Router WZR-300HP: Computers & Accessories

You don't see many routers with 4.5 stars on Amazon. And this one has only 15 customer reviews. The price is $58.99 with free shipping. The reason why I choose Buffalo is that they are one of the few (only?) manufacturers that pre-install DD-WRT firmware on some of their routers. Buying a router with the firmware pre-installed makes things simpler.

With Private Internet Access, you need to have the Mega build version of DD-WRT. I couldn't find any information on that with regard to the WRZ-300HP. I posted on a Buffalo forum for the answer and even had an employee of PIA post so we could get a definitive answer. With PIA and DD-WRT, you'll be getting OpenVPN, which is the most secure connection (versus PPTP and L2TP).

Re: Confused between WZR-300HP & WZR-HP-G300NH - Buffalo Tech Forums (I'm tecla22.)

• Like Like x 2
  4. swiftcobra

swiftcobra New Member

I've been looking into similar options since I've got a Co-star but am not in the US so can't take advantage of lots of the features.

Not keen on re-working my router though as I only want the co-star to be on the VPN. For the rest of my devices I want to connect straight through to the net.

As the OP stated, every other android device has VPN options built in but this seems to have been removed from Google TV, either by Google or by Vizio.

What we are looking for is a software solution that will work with your average VPN provider like Strong VPN. I'm gonna give this a go tonight and see how it goes. StrongVPN Android 2.x/3.x OpenVPN FeatVPN Setup Tutorial | StrongVPN.com

Fingers crossed...

• Like Like x 4
  5. guest

guest Active Member

Please let us know how it works out - one way or the other. If it's an alternative solution, I'll ask my VPN service provider if they can implement something similar.

• Like Like x 2
  6. swiftcobra

swiftcobra New Member

Tried and failed to sideload FeatVPN. It installs ok but force-closes every time I try and run it. Have read that 1 VPN works so I'll try that this weekend. Gonna get there one way or another.

Does anyone know which version of Android the latest firmware is? Can't seem to find it in the settings menu.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The most likely reason that the app force closes would be because it's based on NDK (which GTV currently doesn't support).

Google TV devices are on Android 3.2

• Like Like x 2
  8. guest

guest Active Member

9. guest

guest Active Member

Doing a search for "non-ndk apps", I came across this:

Dalvik Applications on Intel Architecture

Applications that do not package binaries made with the NDK will have no problem running on Intel Architecture. These non-NDK apps, or Dalvik apps, are platform-independent and will run on any Android* hardware platform provided the hardware has all the features the app requires. Check out the 'Publishing your Android* App on the Android* Market' for a guide on getting your application in the Marketplace.

Native Applications on Intel Architecture

Native applications are classified as those that have a dependency on native code and may be platform dependent. The most common example is applications that use the Android* NDK to build and use a native library.

Android* 3.2 on IntelĀ® Architecture | IntelĀ® Developer Zone

So I guess what's needed is a Dalvik application for VPN.

10. reading

reading New Member

11. TrooperThorn

TrooperThorn New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was definitely looking for something on the software/app side, since this option is available in Android natively. I've been thinking about getting a DD-WRT router for a while, or perhaps a TOMATO router, and might eventually go that route, but for now I'll keep looking for a different option with the Co-Star.

12. nlflux

nlflux New Member

I was faced with the same problem, wanting to stream BBC iPlayer outside the UK. Normally I use a VPN service but this wasn't an option for Google tv.

So now i use Tunlr, I made a video on setting it up on my Vizio Co-star:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 8
  13. guest

guest Active Member

Regarding this Tunlr option, I have a Logitech Revue. So what I could understand from the video (I had to do a Google search for it as the link on the googletvforum didn't play) was this: 1) Go to System Settings, 2) Click Network, 3) Click Ethernet (I'm not using a wireless connection.), 4) ? In the Ethernet tab, there are two fields, a) Proxy Setting - which is set to No, and b) IP Setting - which is set to DHCP.

Am I on the wrong settings page? I have two DNS values from the video: 184.82.222.5 and 199.167.301.44 (maybe I didn't write down that second value correctly?)

14. CatfishRivers

Here is the link for those interested in using Tunlr. They have some useful information on their web site including a forum:

tunlr.net

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  15. guest

guest Active Member

From the FAQ: Supported services/players | tunlr.net

1) Google Chrome is not supported.
    2) Requires Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or higher.

I don't believe Tunlr is usable with a Logitech Revue.

16. CatfishRivers

Interesting,, I have no interest in it because I'm in the USA. Hopefully NLFlux can post again about how he gets it to work with the Vizio Co-Star - because no GTV devices have android 4.0 and they all use the Chrome browser....

17. guest

guest Active Member

If you wished to view Britains' BBC's iPlayer (I never have), and were in the United States, I believe you'd find it was geo-restricted. There are other programs and other countries where content is blocked. So there is, understandably, a need for this Tunlr and something similar from OverPlay. For users of the Logitech Revue, I think their best bet is using a DD-WRT router and a VPN service provider for accessing "geo-restricted" content.

18. CatfishRivers

Both the Co-Star and the Revue are on the same android 3.2 OS and have the same modified Chrome 11 browser. If it works on the Co-Star I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Revue. Were you able to set the static IP on your Revue?

I have an issue with my Revue - I cannot update beyond the 3.1 update and I can't set a static IP. But others with the Revue have been able to set a static IP.

There are some pointers in the following thread about setting a static IP on the Revue:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...n/4562-dns-change-really-had-much-effect.html

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  19. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Your second value is wrong, from the Tunlr site:

• Like Like x 2
  20. CatfishRivers

I came across this service called "Unblock-Us" that operates in a similar manner as Tunlr. (It is not A VPN but works by user changing their DNS.)

They have a page with specific instructions for Google TV (a Logitech Revue on 3.1 firmware is given as the example).

This service charges $4.99/mo - however they offer a free 1 week trial to test it out.

Sorry I'm unable to set a static IP on my Revue so I can't test this service at the moment. Here's the link:

Unblock-Us | Setting up Google TV