Quantcast

vpn on honeycomb ???

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by gtaguy, Nov 7, 2011.

1. gtaguy

gtaguy New Member

Can anyone who's gotten the honeycomb update on their sony boxes confirm for me if there is a way to create a virtual private network under the network settings options..

Thanks in advance..

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, I don't think they ever had a way to CREATE a VPN for Google TV. However, in the developer release there was an option to CONNECT to a VPN. Unfortunately, I do not see the option available on my Sony Internet TV. However, a private network is still attached to the Ethernet port if you connect to WiFi if that's what you're referring.

3. gtaguy

gtaguy New Member

First of thanks for the info Eferz..
    Becuase i live in Canada alot of apps under honeycomb might not work for me.. hbo go is one that especially comes to mind..
    So my master plan was to buy into a vpn service that has a vpn server located in the U.S. and tunnel through it so i could get access to the service.. I already have a cousin in the U.S. that said would lend me their account info to login to the hbo go service.. Hbo go is detecting the IP's so there is no hope in hell for me to access unless i can establish a vpn tunnel..
    Although i could use my Android phone to establish a VPN and make the phone a wifi hotspot, and go that method. However i don't really want to get into so much hassle and not to mention my cell phone is a pig on battery and for sure the wifi antenna would suck the battery dry in no time .. I don't want to do it but i might have to..

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I believe there's also a way to use create a VPN tunnel using DDRWT with a compatible router. The idea is that you would install DDWRT onto a router and then setup the configuration from your VPN service provider. This router would be a client of your network, but also act as router to serve a separate private for the devices that need access. Quite a few ex-patriots have done this for Slingbox and various streaming services here in the US.

5. gtaguy

gtaguy New Member

excellent idea i had totally forgotten about DDWRT.. My brother is giving me his old linksys wireless router so i can get this setup this weekend for some testing.. Thanks for your input Eferz.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to have helped. I hope it works out for you.

7. guest

guest Active Member

This DD-WRT seems like a very nice solution providing a free and unlimited VPN.

I've been researching free VPN's and came across this list of seven. They're free, but not unlimited. 7 Completely Free VPN Services To Protect Your Privacy . The AnchorFree Hotspot Shield looks interesting and was mentioned in the comments as being usable with Hulu, outside the U.S. It's in the Google Play store, but would need to be sideloaded. Free VPN for iPhone, Android, Mac and Windows for secure and private browsing, accessing blocked sites and unblocking Facebook and Youtube - Hotspot Shield In regards to Android, it says this: "If for any reason you are not able to install Hotspot Shield from the Google Play Store, please send an email with the subject line "android" to android@afshield.com and you will receive an automatic response with the latest Hotspot Shield APK and instructions how to install it on your android device."