Quantcast

VPN APP on GTV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by guest, Sep 14, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

I'm looking for a workaround for the Gmail HTML/Standard problem on GTV. Accessing Gmail from a PC solves this problem. I prefer not to enter my Gmail password on a public PC. I'd like to solve this issue using GTV only. Earlier today, I was thinking of a VPN app. If I found such an app, I'd use it one-time only, to solve this problem, then delete the app. It needs to be a free app since I'm only going to use it for a few minutes.

Here are the Google search results for the term free VPN apps. vpn apps - Google Search . Included in the resuts are VPN Express, Hotspot Shield, 5 VPN and Express VPN (the last comes up with the search term VPN apps).

Here is a list of seven VPN (Virtual Private Network) applications in the Google play store. None are compatible with GTV, so they'd have to be sideloaded. Best VPN Apps | App | VPN App reviews and rating
    I don't know if they are free or not.

Does anyone have experience using a VPN app on GTV?

2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

3. guest

guest Active Member

4. guest

guest Active Member

I was hoping to use the VPN application from SurfEasy, a Canadian VPN service provider. I asked them to send me the .apk, but they said that it wouldn't work with any O.S. below Android 4.0.3. Since Jellybean is 4.3, when it's released, some may find SurfEasy useful for accessing many sites that are now blocked by GTV. Since I'm using a Revue, I'll need to find an .apk compatible with the Android O.S. 3.2.

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

You could try to setup the VPN at the router.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

6. guest

guest Active Member

FEAT VPN is an Android app that brings OpenVPN to Android versions 2.1 through 3.2. In contrast to existing apps, FEAT VPN does not require you to root your Android phone or tablet and thus void its warranty. FEAT VPN works on unmodified off-the-shelf devices.

FEAT VPN comes in two versions. The free version, FEAT VPN Lite, is intended for people who connect to their OpenVPN server only occasionally and its use is limited to one hour per day. The commercial version does not have this time limit.
    FEAT VPN - OpenVPN on Android without root
    -------
    (See section 11, VPN Services for the names of some eight service providers. The first one privatetunnel dot com has a 100MB free plan. The others have no free plans, but for one with a 6-hr. free trial. I'm still researching this and so am not quite sure how to proceed. I think you sign up for a VPN service provider and also sign up for featvpn. And when you access the virtual private network, you do it through featvpn, by entering the username and password for the VPN service provider on the featvpn website. This approach is necessary because first generation GTV's use the Android 3.2 operating system called Honeycomb. I presume most VPN service providers, like SurfEasy, only offer their service to those with Ice Cream Sandwich and higher versions. Featvpn presumably allows for lower O.S. version compatability. This O.S., Honeycomb, is the end of the line for the 1st generation devices; no further updates will be forthcoming as I understand it.)

7. smile99

smile99 New Member

Good job on the construction sheet image is good! I'm looking forward to the next update on the
    it maybe that was a bad idea .