Quantcast

Volume control for Sony STR-DN2010 receiver

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by danix180, Dec 1, 2011.

1. danix180

danix180 New Member

Hello,
    I just purchased a Sony NSZGT1 Google TV bluray. I can say it's much better that the Revue that I returned.

I'd appreciate much your response since I can't be able to get any help from searching forums.

I have a Sony STR-DN2010 receiver and I am not able to control volume using the Sony NSG-MR1 remote control. I'm trying to use the remote to control and not the IR blaster ( I don't want to use the blasters and I am able to control my Samsung TV using just the remote)

Thank you,

2. danix180

danix180 New Member

I got an answer from Sony Support chat ( disappointing I would say) :

9:19 AM- (C3NO):
    I've checked the information for you and I'm sorry that Internet TV remote can't be programed to operate the Receiver without using the IR blaster.

Great. Good job Sony supporting your own devices.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sorry, you had to realize their incompetence. Now you can imagine the expected support of third-party devices. *sigh*

That's why I believe the Logitech Revue is superior for controlling external AV devices.

4. BigShotProducer

BigShotProducer New Member

Sony told me the same thing for my TV. So I did factory reset on the gtv unit and re-setup. Worked just fine after that.

5. sachnida

sachnida New Member

What is the downside of using IR blaster? I see many dislike it. I had to use it to control volume on my STR-KG700 and Dish ViP612, can I acheive this without IR blaster? Even after controlling volume, it does not control the AVR input, and sony support yesterday told me it is not possible...

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There really isn't a downside to use the IR Blasters except for ascetics and possible obstructions or interference. Some devices have the ability to support control via HDMI-CEC however support is very limited and varies upon the model and manufacturer's level of support. There are a select few of Dish Receivers that can be controlled via IP, but that requires a $4/mo subscription fee to enable the Enhanced DVR / Advance Intergration service from Dish Network.