Quantcast

Volume button - delayed response

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by compustrat, Jul 17, 2011.

1. compustrat

compustrat New Member

Most of the time my Sony GoogleTV works just fine...and I really love it. My only (operational) issue is that, from time to time, the volume button stops responding. Sometimes I'll click the button to go +/-...and the volume indicator appears on the screen...but it will not move. If I hit the button either once, or many times, it will take at least several (5+) seconds before it will increment 1 number in either direction. After about 30-60 seconds, it will suddenly begin to respond normally.

Since getting this TV, I've had both Charter cable, and Verizon FiOS. In both cases, I have this problem. And, further, I have had the problem with the GoogleTV remote, the FiOS remote, and the Charter remote control.

While this is happening...ALL other buttons work fine. I can change the channel, and even Mute the unwanted loud volume while I wait 60 seconds+ for it to begin working again.

If I power off the television, unplug it...and wait a minute before powering it back on, I can get a week or two of the problem not recurring. This (in my 20 years of IT) suggests something programmatic, and not something that has to do with conflicting devices.

I'm not using any IR blasters...nor am I using anything on the devices other than what has been mentioned here.

I have changed the batteries in the remotes during the problem, and not experienced any relief...which I don't expect because all indicators point to the television itself.

I've accepted and installed all updates...and even went to this device and checked for available updates, to be sure I have them all.

For full disclosure...I do have a Sony GoogleTV Blu-Ray player connected...but that device is turned off, and I'm NOT using that remote unless I'm actually using that device. -- but i do experience this issue with that remote too when I'm watching DVDs.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have the Logitech Revue. I don't use it with cable/satellite but I noticed that sometimes adjusting volume (with the Revue keyboard) while streaming a video is sluggish. That's why if my tv remote is handy I just use that to adjust volume instead.

3. compustrat

compustrat New Member

Thanks for the feedback. While I thought I did make this clear... when the problem occurs, I pick up the opposing remote (i.e. if it occurs when I'm using the FiOS remote, I try it with the GoogleTV remote...and vice versa). But I still have the problem.

4. samatrix

samatrix New Member

I'm experiencing the same problem as described by compustrat to the letter.

5. waynew73

waynew73 New Member

I thought it was only me. Glad to hear that I am not the only one. The interesting thing is that I only have the problem with my Sony Google TV, but not with the Sony Blue Ray player that is connected to my Samsung TV. You would think it would be the opposite since the Sony remote should work correctly with the TV it's directly made for.

Sent from my HTC Flyer using Tapatalk. 2 Google TV units: Sony 32" Google TV and Sony Blue Ray with Google TV

6. qw545

qw545 Member

I have the same problem with the volume on my Google TV. I also have other glitches which occur on rare occasions with the Google remote. I've had the same unresponsiveness when trying to change channels, although that has mostly occurred when changing channels on my Uverse set-top box through the IR blaster. Generally, I like the design of the remote, but I would like it better if it worked more consistently. When I do any longer term surfing on the net I put down the Google remote and use the mouse I have connected. The touch pad is frustratingly poor in its response on the Google remote.

7. waynew73

waynew73 New Member

I'm going to try testing the Google TV remote app on my phone and see if there's a difference. If so, then it may be a case of the infrared on the remote or something specifically with the remotes themself versus the receiving tv.

Sent from my HTC Flyer using Tapatalk. 2 Google TV units: Sony 32" Google TV and Sony Blue Ray with Google TV

8. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Been experiencing the same problem since I bought mine last Oct...and they don't seem intent to correct it...Oh yeah, when I got it I was told it would have the Android Market and other apps at the beginning of this year....its Aug....still nothing. Google disappoints again.

9. Jay

Jay New Member

For what it's worth, I have the same problem on my Sony Google TV. Very annoying.