Quantcast

VOIP Calling w/ ATA Device/GTV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by chicha29, Mar 4, 2011.

1. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

First Post:

I received the following e-mail today from Google. I was using the Gizmo5 VOIP service with a Sipura 3102 ATA device. The device seems to be acting up at the moment so I'm unable to make any internet telephone calls. It came with a built-in router, which I have connected to an MSNTV2 device.. I hope I can get it to work again! I've been using it for about four years. Now, I've just purchased a Google TV. I still need an HDTV, though. I hope to buy one in about two weeks. I'm without the capability of making a phonecall over the internet at the moment. When I hook up the GTV, what are my options regarding VOIP? How do I "call phones from within Gmail" or via Google Voice using Google TV? If it is necesary to wait for the Android Market, how would that work.
    O.K., finally this: With these ATA VOIP devices, you don't need to have a computer on to receive or make phone calls. This capability is not something that Google TV will be able to match - even with an "application". Isn't this so? If so, I'll need to buy another Analog(?) Telephone Adapter.
    --------------
    Gizmo5 is writing to let you know that we will no longer be providing service starting on April 3, 2011. A week from today, March 11, 2011, you will no longer be able to add credit to your account.
    Although the standalone Gizmo5 client will no longer be available, we have since launched the ability to call phones from within Gmail at even more affordable rates.
    If you purchased calling credit and have a balance remaining in your account, you can request a refund by logging in to Gizmo5 - Stay in touch, Save some bucks - Login. If you are in the United States, you can instead choose to transfer your credit to a Google Voice account, so it can be used for calling from Google Voice or Gmail. If you don’t have a Google Voice account, please create one so that we can transfer your credit.
    Please request a call credit transfer or refund by April 3, 2011. If you don't request a call credit transfer or refund by this date, we will automatically refund your remaining call credit via the payment method you originally used to purchase the credit. Note that if you paid via Moneybookers or if the credit card on file has expired, we will not be able to automatically refund your unused credit, so please log in to initiate the refund process.
    Thank you,
    The Gizmo5 Team
    You have received this mandatory service announcement email to update you about important changes to your Gizmo5 account.

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

To make VOIP phone calls on any device you need two hardware requirements. You need a speaker and a microphone. Google TV has a speaker but it doesn't have a microphone. If you purchased the Logitech Revue you can get the TV Cam that has a microphone but this device currently only works with the Logitech Vid HD service for video conferencing. When the app market opens up there may be VOIP solutions that exploit the microphone in the Logitech TV Cam for it to be used with other VOIP services. Or the app market may yeild drivers to allow you to hook up other microphones.

There is no way to know today what will work tomorrow. But if you got the Logitech Revue I'd say you are better prepared.

There is something else that is a bit different that will work today.....You can log in to Google Voice using Google TVs Chrome browser and then you can have Google Voice dial for you and connect your cell phone with whatever number you want to call. The call does not go through Google TV....it just connects your cell phone with whomever you want to call. First your cell phone rings, you pick up and you hear it then ringing the number you specified in the browser. So Google TV can be just the dialer.

Also no Google TV device has the hardware jacks (RJ-11), so it can't ever become an ATA....unless someone comes up with a hardware device that plugs in via USB that acts as an ATA and provides drivers for Google TV and then ports something like Asterisk to run on Google TV. But this seems far fetched and unlikely...but I might be wrong. Most ATA devices are autonomous devices that you just plug in to your network. So I'd say if your current ATA is not working and you want to be able to have analog devices plugged into an ATA then yes you need to get a new ATA. And this ATA will really have nothing to do with your Google TV .

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. harley man

harley man New Member

i would also think with the revue with the video cam and the app market and even with google voice you should be able to do sooner or latter. i see your new i would to say hi and welcome

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011