Quantcast

voice search for co star?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by scan, Nov 21, 2012.

1. scan

scan New Member

how would it be done, through the android app? new remote?
    i hope this is going to happen, i would feel sooooo cheated if it didnt.
    here is what support had to say $Untitled.jpg

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that Vizio and Sony offer a new remote with a mic built-in at a sweet discount for existing owners who'd like to add voice.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

One thing I am pretty sure of, whatever deals are available for Bluetooth Google TV voice control remotes to work with these devices are going to be priced the same for everyone, nobody without a Google TV will want one. I guess a silly promotion like:

GoogleTV Remote with Voice Control $100, Special Price For Owners of Google TV $50.

might be tried but that sure sounds stupid to me. Would that make you more likely to buy one?

4. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

Voice search is already available for the CoStar, using either the Able remote app or the google tv remote app. Unfortunately for the CoStar this is as good as it's going to get. The level of control depicted in the video won't be available using the CoStar, even if they came out with a remote that has a mic. If you watch the video you'll see that the guy is changing channels using just his voice. You'll also see that there is no cable box, he's using a TV with built in Google TV.
    The problem is the way the CoStar controls the cable box. The CoStar remote operates in both Bluetooth and IR mode. Bluetooth controls the functions of the Vizio box, and IR controls your cable box/TV/Receiver. In order to change channels or operate the DVR on the cable box, the remote must be pointed directly at the cable box IR receiver. There is no way for the Vizio box to directly change the channels through the HDMI connection, and the box does not have an IR blaster like the remote does.
    The Able remote app will let you achieve the same level of functionality displayed in the video, but at a price in both in the cost of the full version app and adding complexity to your setup. You'll need to install the app on both your CoStar and Android device (phone/tablet). The catch is that you have to sacrifice battery life on your remote. You have to turn power save off in the remote settings and place the remote in such a way that the IR blaster has a direct line of sight to your cable box's IR receiver. This may or may not put the CoStar remote out of reach so you'll use your phone/tablet almost exclusively. It will also add another device (phone/tablet) to your setup. I can't envision a scenario where Vizio comes out with a new remote that has both a mic AND an IR blaster on the bottom of the remote. That's the only way that you'd be able to hold the remote upright, speak into it and have the signal transmitted via IR to the cable box.

5. googlethis

googlethis New Member

The Co Star didn't include an IR blaster that you can plug into the device but instead has it on the remote? Weird.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

One of several cost cutting measures, no optical audio out, only one USB port and lesser codec support are some of the others but it managed to come in at $100 and for that price it is great in my opinion. I know some will say what was an additional 3 or 4 dollars? What an additional few dollars would have been was probably about 50% of the profits on the device, although it doesn't seem like much compared to the sales price, compared to profits on each unit sold, it would have been material. I am not convinced Vizio will even breakeven as is, after returns, warranty coverage and customer support costs. If Vizio does breakeven on Google TV, that will be a lot better than Logitech did.

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, I guess that's as good as it gets for the Co-Star and that's the reason I made my own "Voice Command With Total Recall" via bluetooth ...

Their is more than one way to skin a cat .... If their is a work around on the Co-Star, believe me, I will find it ...(lol)

8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Sure. That's something people using the CoStar to control their equipment have to deal with. Their gear needs to be within IR range of the remote. I don't see how that precludes voice control if Vizio offers a remote with a built-in mic.

9. bdcfam

bdcfam New Member

10. scan

scan New Member

No wonder i couldn't get Able remote of gtv remote to work my cable box,i didn't know the co star remote had to be pointed at the DVR, thanks for that!!!

still not working right, i think the co star remote goes to sleep after a few minutes and the apps cannot wake it up when trying to control the Fios DVR, anyone get this app to control there Fios DVR for a sustained period of time?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  11. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

You have to turn "Remote Power Save" to off:
    SETTINGS>DEVICES>BLUETOOTH>VIZIO XRA700 REMOTE>REMOTE POWER SAVE <OFF>
    This will stop the remote from going into sleep mode, it will also eat your batteries up pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  12. scan

scan New Member

Thanks, its working great now, Able remote rocks!! i haven't used my original co star remote in days