Quantcast

Vizio v. Sony

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by frankthetank966, Jul 2, 2013.

1. frankthetank966

frankthetank966 New Member

I posted this on the Sony thread without much success. I was looking for feedback on Costar.

I've been following this forum for a few weeks and decided to sign up. I'm looking to stream Slingplayer onto a TV. Based on posts on this forum, I've narrowed down my search to two connected devices:
    • Sony with Google TV
    • Vizio Co-Star
    Now that the Sony is on sale for $149.99 at Best Buy is the Sony worth it? Which player do y'all recommend for streaming SlingPlayer?

2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

The Sony GS7 seems to be the most stable of all the brands of units out there on the market.To me the Sony is worth the extra.Had mine since it first went on their website last year.

3. frankthetank966

Thanks for the reply

4. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

Slingplayer is sort-of a web app that downloads on demand. It works OK on the vizio - I wouldn't expect much difference across platforms but you might like the sony remote better.

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Yep. There simply isn't a Slingplayer App for GTV, so none of these boxes has any particular advantage. They run the same browser, so all you can do is look at the boxes on their own and decide if one is going to work better for you than the other - or save you some cash. I'm kind of proud of the two forums for not launching in to a fanboy war over this. :)

6. frankthetank966

There's some speculation that the new OS will have a built in Sling app.

7. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Even if it doesn't go that far, we're all hoping that the play store will be opened wide to the GTV once it can run Jelly Bean and assuming they release the NDK for GTV and apps like Sling Player will become available; but we'll have to see.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If Slingplayer is the only thing of interest when comparing the two, probably no real difference but if other differences are also of interest, there are a number of significant differences. I have posted a comparison in maybe half a dozen threads here over the months which highlights some differences including material differences for my needs, the Sony is much better for my needs. That shouldn't be hard to find but I can find it if someone wants it.

9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I'm wondering when the Google TV Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS comes out will my Slingboxes/SlingPlayer app work like it does on my Android smartphone and tablet via the Vizio Co-Star too ....