Quantcast

Vizio Co Star

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by RBCC, May 28, 2013.

1. RBCC

RBCC New Member

I love the Oregon State Beavers and on there website they have osubeavers allaccess. Which gives me live streaming sports. Now to my question with Visio Co-star or Sony streaming media player can I play the events through these two boxes and on my tv? John

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I was able to play the highlights. It played well so the Premium videos should also play.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sorry but I disagree. I also was able to play a free highlight video on my Revue - however according to the OSUBeavers AllAceess help section (see link below) - the live and premium content requires Flash 11 and JAVA. GTV doesn't support JAVA and Flash 11. They probably use Flash 10 for non-premium content - and to secure their premium content they use Flash 11 (which has more DRM features).

https://cbsi.secure.force.com/CBSi/...eferer=cbsallaccess.com&data=&cfs=SFS_College

From OSUBeavers Help section:

"What version of the Adobe Flash player do I need installed to view All-Access content?
    You will need to have the Adobe Flash plug-in version 11 installed. If you do not have Adobe Flash 11 you may get it by clicking here."

----------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: If you have a computer - as a workaround you should be able to use the Chromemote browser extension (see link below) to fling the premium content to your GTV box:

http://chromemote.com/

Last edited: May 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Carlszone

Geeze, these sites are making things really complicated. I thought the highlight video was there to test compatibility as w/many sites. Thanks.

Carl

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

A thread titled Vizio Co-Star in the Sony NSZ-GS7 forum and the thread is about the OSUBeavers allaccess video streaming site. If a mod could change the title and move it to the proper Google TV general information forum, it would be better placed.

6. RBCC

RBCC New Member

What is the consensus? If have a vizio or Sony box with the lastest flash and latest java should I be able to view it? John:confused:

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It sounds like you don't understand. GTV doesn't have JAVA. Nada. There is no way to load it or add it. Secondly if you have a GTV box you will not have the latest version of Flash. GTV currently has Flash 10.2 - and there is no way to update Flash on your own. It can only be done by an OS update. However Google has already announced that there will be no more Flash updates - in fact with the forthcoming Jellybean update Flash will be completely purged from the GTV browser.

So the answer to your question is NO.

* As I mentioned though if you use a computer with Flash 11 & JAVA - then you should be able to fling the content to your GTV box using the Chromemote browser extension. To summarize it won't work alone on a Sony or Vizio GTV box - but it's possible if you use a computer with Chromemote along with your Sony or Vizio GTV box.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  8. Carlszone

I gotta tell ya.

I've suffered all the lockouts on Webtv and MSNTV 2. I just can't do it again. I swain, if I ever visit a site that is not a Premium service and cannot stream basic content that is not Silverlight or some other incompatible player, well... I'm finished w/internet over the TV. Microsoft was just as arrogant as Google is now appearing to be. Ya can't pressure sites to conform to an ill-fated decision to terminate such a broad based format as Adobe Flash by trying to encourage them to convert to HTML 5. It's too stupid to even contemplate this early on.

And I will go w/no protest or jarring posts that I've seen when many are upset w/their chosen service. I will simply disconnect these devices and throw them unceremoniously in the dumpster. Mainly because I still like the concept but hate the proprietary results. I simply cannot deal w/the level of frustration these devices can cause. I'm just too old! And I know folks are saying wait & see. Ya don't have to wait to know what the discontinuance of Flash will do. Ya'll know that already.

Call me crazy...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  9. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

LOL Carlzone you sound like me! I stuck it out with Phiips webtv from1997,then the Philips BPS "blue plate" for 99.00 with the 56k box..then along came msntv2,we hoped for something better right? and it took this long to get the technology right..I hung around Logitech Revue till their CEO felt it was time to kick the Revue to the curb,or as I like to say "they threw the revue under the BIG BUS"...so I decided while I found the Co-star at a good price I'm going for it!! its Jellybean time!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Carlszone

Yeah, don't forget that. If that opens up our options then ignore my previous post. I've just gotten so used to using either my Revue which I'm typing this message on or my GS7 getting me all the streaming media I could want. I can't imagine (well...actually I can & have) going backward into the nightmare of "This video cannot be played on this device. Upgrade your Flash player..."

Carl

11. Travel

Travel Active Member

Carl, that seems to the big question: what will happen with the jellybean update, leaving GoogleTV with HTML5-only and no Flash at all.

Now, given that big, significant, major change-over in the platform, it seems that Google would have to have accounted for the transition with regard to website access and streaming, etc.

In other words, wouldn't the Jellybean software convert the existing Flash of all the various sites to GoogleTV-compatible HTML5 ? Something like that?

Your point seems to be that Google is relying on all the various websites to individually install HTML5 to their websites just to accommodate GoogleTV. Maybe your right, but that's more or less my question.

It just doesn't seem logical that, Google, that's doing the Jellybean update to enhance GoogleTV in the first place, would just dump all the GoogleTV users into the vast ocean of the Flash-internet without compatibility/access.

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

13. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Web sites had to be re-written to accommodate Apple cutting off support for Flash many years ago. Some sites may no longer work, but I would think most of the heavy lifting has already been done. However, if the new OS has NDK support, I suppose it's possible someone may figure out how to sideload a version of Flash on it.

14. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

bit the bullet and went costar though the revue kb,was,a,perk.anyone know,how to unify costar o kb tell me lol,,,this keypad is mddening...what was vizio thinking?

15. ChrisG8

I think most people prefer a smaller qwerty keypad to a full sized keyboard. This means nobody is offering a Google TV device with a ful sized keyboard now. You need a Logitech unifying receiver to make the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard work with any other Google TV box other than the Revue. The Revue has the unifying receiver built in. You also need a PC to pair the keyboard with the unifying receiver. The K700 uses RF, the Vizio Co-Star uses Bluetooth so there can be no pairing directly.

16. Carlszone

Hi

If you still have your orig KB box from the Revue, make sure a Unifying Receiver isn't hiding there. It is really easy to miss. I found one hidden in the packing.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

Could you explain how, exactly, that's done? Pretend you're explaining it to a household pet.

Do you put the unifying receiver into the USB port of a PC, and that will download whatever into the unifying receiver, and then you can take the unifying receiver and stick it into the USB port of a Sony GS7, and then the Logitech keyboard will work with the Sony GS7?

18. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks for the reply, but no one seems to have a handle on what the accessibility situation will be like with no flash on the jellybean update. It just seems odd to me that Google would just shut out all GoogleTV users from flash websites, and we're just sitting around waiting for the entire internet to rewrite their sites, just to accommodate GoogleTV users. That doesn't make any sense. There must be more to this: the HTML5 must work on these sites.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  19. ChrisG8

Download and install the unifying software, just search for Logitech unifying software to find a download link. After installed, run the software and follow the directions, there is nothing to it. Yes of course the unifying receiver must be inserted in the PC USB port and the K700 must be in hand to send the command that will result in pairing keyboard and unifying receiver. Take the unifying receiver and insert it in the Google TV USB port, the K700 will control that Google TV device assuming pairing was done properly. As I have mentioned previously, I would not use the K700 with the Vizio Co-Star, the method of control of IR devices makes it not a good choice for my needs.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks.

I bought an extra Logitech k700 keyboard shortly after I got the Logitech Revue, and I just checked the box it comes in for a manual. The manual that comes with this "keyboard only" package, actually is dedicated to unifying the keyboard, and the instructions, reflecting what you just posted, is on the first page of this manual.

Apparently, with a Logitech Revue GoogleTV box w/ the k700 keyboard included in the package, the keyboard is of course already unified with the Revue box, so they don't include the unifying piece and instructions for unifying. Whereas, with the standalone keyboard order, the customer may be using the keyboard for a vast array of devices, and they include the unifying piece and instructions.

So, anyone else who wants to do this (unify the k700 Logitech keyboard with another brand device), order a separate k700 keyboard to get the unifying piece with the instructions. You may be able to order just the unifying piece, alone, without getting another keyboard, but I'm not anywhere near sure about that.