Quantcast

vizio co-star with synology NAS

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by seanwi, Oct 2, 2012.

1. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Hi there
    I have "synology" NAS which connected to my home network
    On my NAS i am holding all my media content (movies,pictures etc...)
    How from the co-star can i connected to this NAS in order to play all my media?
    Is it possible?

Thanks

Sean

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

You need an app for that. GTVBox will play audio and video files from DLNA/uPnP servers and file shares, but the formats it supports depend on the Co-Star, so it may or may not be able to play all your media as-is.

3. kid320

kid320 New Member

I have the DS210j and have successfully done this.

Log in to your DiskStation, open up the package center and ensure "Media Center" is running. If it isn't, start the service by clicking "run". Close the package center window.

Go back into what I call the "App Drawer" (not sure what Synology calls it, but it is the icon with three gray squares and one blue square icon in the upper-left corner of your screen) and open "Media Center".

Click through these tabs and set your options up. Make sure you click the link on the "Media Server" tab that says "Media Indexing Service" and also set-up your options there. Make sure you set your Indexed Folders for Photo, Video and Audio so the DiskStation knows where to look for this content.

Once you are done with this end of things, go to your co-star (ensure it is connected to the same network as your NAS) and open Playpoint. Playpoint should search your network for DLNA enabled devices and list them. Choose your DiskStation from the list (you may also see some other DLNA devices listed there like computers running on your network). Go into your video folder and you should be good to go.

I've found the default Playpoint app that comes with the DiskStation to be pretty buggy, but I've downloaded Avia from the marketplace and it works like a charm. Avia is free and works in a similar fashion as Playpoint. Just go down to "My Sources" in the Avia app and choose your Diskstation. All of your files should appear.

As of right now, Vizio only supports certain files with 2 channel audio. Anything with 5.1 or DTS will not work. So, if you choose a file, the screen goes black and then dumps you right back to the menu, the Co-star doesn't like something about the file. I was on the phone with their technical support last night for about an hour troubleshooting this with them. He put my on hold as he talked to the engineering department, who informed him that they were aware of the problem and working on a fix, but he was unable to give me a timeframe.