Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star with Network Drive?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by sanjuvarma, Sep 20, 2012.

1. sanjuvarma

sanjuvarma New Member

Hi,
    I just bought a new Vizio CS. I don't know how to connect it to my external hard drive which is connected to my Apple Airport Extreme via USB. I have the VCS connected to the extreme via a ethernet cord, but what protocol do I use to have my VCS see the external hard drive? SMB used to work on Boxee Box, i don't have that any more.

2. degsie

degsie Member

SMB can still be used if you load an appropriate app. ES File Explorer is one example, this supports LAN connection via SMB. Other than that DLNA is available out of the box.

3. sanjuvarma

sanjuvarma New Member

1) How do I activate the DLNA? Which app will let me see all the movies/tv shows on my external HDD on the LAN? I don't want to set up Plex which will require a media server running on a remote computer.
    2) I noticed that even Airplay music & videos don't work, only photos. I was tying to play a song or a video from my iPhone using "Airtight" the app which I paid 99c for. It doesn't show up.

4. degsie

degsie Member

You will need a DLNA server running on your lan, then use something like Playpoint on the co-star to play the content from that server. This is just a limitation of co-star right now. Would be great if XBMC gets ported and stops all this nonsense.

5. sanjuvarma

sanjuvarma New Member

That's really messed up. A $100 device in 2012 --- shouldn't it have been loaded with these features? I sold my Boxee Box to buy this. I think i'm already regretting. My main source of entertainment is my external set of HDDs - loaded with about 4TB of content. My other room has a j/b Apple TV which plays all that content seamlessly and this Vizio doesn't do jack shi* !!!!! Maybe I should sell and buy another Apple TV.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Ha, pretty funny comments, for every one thing you can name that Apple TV can do that Google TV can't do, I can name ten things Google TV can do that Apple TV can't do. Of course, if what you want are the few things Apple TV can do, I would think Apple TV is the right choice for you and wonder why you bought a box that can't do jack shi*. Apple TV can't do jack shi* in my set up which is why I didn't buy Apple TV. Google TV is the best choice for me, I wanted to bring traditional TV service together with internet entertainment with a full web browser. For my local files, not much and a very small part of my needs, I do use a PC running a server or a drive connected by USB. Hopefully someone can help you get the Co-Star set up to handle your local files but if that is all you wanted, I don't think Google TV is the best choice to start with. I looked at Boxee, Apple TV and Roku, none of them had what I wanted which is why I bought Google TV.

7. sanjuvarma

sanjuvarma New Member

Yeah well, I bought the VCS for my living room where I connected my Comcast Motorola box on a pass through. The TV I have in the living room is not one of those smart tvs, it's a 2011 Samsung Plasma. So I bought the Google TV to fill that gap. I think all I need for this VCS to do here is to connect to my external HDD which is connected to my Airport Extreme via USB. Boxee Box did it using SMB protocols without a running server and it worked well. But I sold my BB because it was giving me problems. I got my hands on a VCS (bought it on Ebay), it does everything but the main thing which is access my network drives for local content.

Sigh!!

8. sssharp

sssharp New Member

Do you want the app that gets all? I tried many but unwilling to pay any money and found this one, Mitty. Yes it says something else but plays all files I have without giving me the file not supported b.s. Download it and play all your stuff. Also get your apple product and enjoy the limits.

9. sanjuvarma

sanjuvarma New Member

Tried that too, it only asks for me to connect a USB to the VCS. I'm not looking for that. I think if Boxee Box can do it natively, Roku can too, Apple TV does it from itunes, how can VCS not connect to network drives natively. Shocks me!!

10. sanjuvarma

sanjuvarma New Member

11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Yes, GTVBox is what you want. It can play from file shares or DLNA devices.

12. sanjuvarma

sanjuvarma New Member

Again, my external HDD is connected by USB to the Airport Extreme Router and a LAN cable is connected to my Vizio Co-Star. Hope GTVBox works!!

13. sanjuvarma

sanjuvarma New Member

GTVBox didn't work. Does not connect to my Airport Disks.

14. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

GTVBox works fine for me accessing both DLNA and SMB shares, but I use a Windows based file server, not an Apple product. The open source SAMBA driver that's kicked around and used in most 3rd party devices isn't actually very good.

15. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Try your luck :) & post @ GTVBox Video Player Google TV App - thread support