Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star vs the new Hisense Pulse Google TV Box

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by MacFrugal, Aug 29, 2012.

1. MacFrugal

MacFrugal New Member

I was trying to figure out the difference between the new Hisense Pulse box and the Co-Star. I'm going to assume that Google has some minimum standards, so the processor is probably the same: Marvell 1500. I didn't see any mention of Bluetooth for the Hisense. They said the price is UNDER $99 - maybe it will retail for $89? What other features could the Co-Star have that the Pulse does not?

HISENSE PULSE WITH GOOGLE TV FEATURES
    • Hisense Pulse with Google TV features various connectivity options, including HDMI input and output, USB, Ethernet and built-in Wi-Fi.
    • Built on Android, Google TV brings TV-optimized versions of Google services: Chrome, Google Play, Search, TV & Movies and YouTube.
    • Supporting content and screen resolutions from 480i up to 1080p, as well as H.264, MPEG-4 and AVC formats.
    • With Picture-In-Picture and Picture-Outside-Picture you can simultaneously watch while searching the web or social networking.
    • Includes double sided remote control featuring a built-in touchpad and dedicated Netflix button on one side and a QWERTY keyboard on the other side.
    • The Hisense Pulse with Google TV takes up very little space (4.5" square x 1.4" tall), and weighs in at just 1.5 pounds.
    • Power consumption is 20 watts while operating, and less than 1 watt during standby mode.
    • The Hisense Pulse with Google TV will be available in mid-November 2012 at select retailers with an MSRP of under $99.

[​IMG]
    $445345_bild.jpg

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

At this point, I don't believe there can be any meaningful comparison, all I can see from what I have read is that the two devices may be basically identical or may have some significant differences. The Vizio remote has numerical keys on the same side as the touchpad, that much jumps out from the pictures but isn't anything I would base a purchase decision on.

More information will be available soon but I don't think anybody can say much today.

3. csrini1

csrini1 Member

Unless the hisense has something lot more powerful than just [h=3]1.2GHz dual-core CPU and 1GB of RAM, it doesn't make any sense.[/h]

4. ChrisG8

It won't, no question about that and it isn't even likely to have any significant differentiating features but it should be available in retailer's stores, those that carry Hisense products. I am not sure why you think Google TV needs a more powerful processor, I can make my first generation boxes do what I need, including play 1080p video and all web browsing I do and the processor used is either single core 1.2GHz Intel Atom or 1.7GHz Intel Atom, less powerful than the second generation. I don't think it is possible to make the box with a more expensive processor and sell it at $100 profitably. In a couple of years, maybe a dual core 1.5GHz ARM processor can be used at the needed price points, I hope so, I certainly think faster processors would be even better but fortunately these boxes work great as is for some of us.

5. MacFrugal

MacFrugal New Member

If both devices are more or less equal, I'll be looking at the Hisense. With tax and shipping, the price of the Co-star is around $118 for me. Assuming the Pulse is $89 with free shipping on the Internets, I'd jump on it. Of course, the deal breaker for me would be the absence of Bluetooth in the Pulse.

6. csrini1

csrini1 Member

Not sure how you are able to do all that you are doing like 1080p stuff, but when i press the V button, it takes it own sweet time to even bring up the apps. It is like trying to bring up an application while anti-virus scan is running on a old desktop.

7. Luxferro

Luxferro New Member

It makes sense, since it's another low cost alternative. And I'm sure there will be difference in the UI. If the remote has backlit buttons that alone won't make me choose it over the co-star.

I really dislike the costar remote. It wasn't really designed with much thought put into it. For just using it for the initial setup you constantly have to flip the remote back and forth because important keys needed are only on one side.

8. twosted

twosted New Member

Conversation between Apple Exec. and Vizio Exec.:

Apple: "Have you seen that new Hisense GoogleTV box?"
    Vizio: "Yes"
    Apple: "Aren't you upset about it?"
    Vizio: "No, why?"
    Apple: "It's a square box with silver trim. It looks just like your Co-star."
    Vizio: "So."
    Apple: "So sue them. You guys invented the square box with silver trim. No one should ever be allowed to make a square box with silver trim as long as you own the patent. Look, they even rounded the corners just like yous."
    Vizio: "Um, I'm pretty sure we didn't invent the square box with silver trim."
    Apple: "Whatever, By the way what does the Co-Star actully do?"
    Vizio: "It's a streaming media player based on the Android opperating system. With it you can search the internet, use different apps and it will also intergrate your live TV and recorded programs."
    Apple: "OMG!!!! The Hisense player does that too!!!! Get your lawyers on the phone. You can't let them get away with this."
    Vizio: *facepalm*

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

lol, that's awesome

10. ChrisG8

So far, I have seen nothing that would make me believe the Hisense Google TV box is manufactured anywhere other than exactly the same place the Vizio Google TV box is manufactured. We still don't know much about it and evidence it is different might be presented at some point but if iFixit tears it down and finds it is exactly the same as the Vizio Co-Star, I won't faint and fall out of my chair.

11. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

If both boxes are relatively equal - I would prefer to buy the Hisense box if it's available inside Walmart stores. It was mentioned that Hisense will be available at select retailers (and Hisense has some of their products in Walmart) - so I'm hopeful.

I don't like the way Vizio keeps having a few Co-Star units available for a day and then is constantly out of stock. I'm also not thrilled about the Smartpost shipping of the Co-Star. If the Hisense box is less than $99 - then even with sales tax - the gross total amount would be less than the Co-Star.

13. ChrisG8

The review indicates it doesn't scroll. I use Google TV and scroll with the up and down arrow keys, just place the cursor on the scrolling bar to the right on any web page and this is how I like to do it and I feel certain the Hisense will work exactly the same way. Am I the only person that likes to scroll that way? I don't know if my touchpad scrolls or not but I guess I could try it if that is the way most people would scroll. Personally I would want the touchpad and qwerty keyboard on the same side but with such a small remote, I would think that isn't practical.

14. ChrisG8

Yes, my Revue keyboard touchpad will scroll by using two fingers but isn't as smooth as the method I use so I am not switching.

15. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Would revue remote work? (or Harmony?)

Comes with vanilla Google TV (faster maybe?).

Btw, is that a voice recognition button? (below MUTE):rolleyes:

16. ChrisG8

I suspect the Revue keyboard will work as well with the Hisense as it does with the Sony and Vizio models. That little icon does look like a microphone but I am thinking there is no way it will have voice control at that price point. I did notice Twonky on the apps screen, maybe that DLNA media server comes preinstalled with the Hisense.

17. MacFrugal

MacFrugal New Member

18. ChrisG8

What Google TV device "shoots" audio across the room using Bluetooth without using some kind of output to Bluetooth adapter? As far as I know Google TV is a client, not a server, it can play audio over HDMI but I am not aware of any Google TV device that can "shoot" audio anywhere using Bluetooth. I can use Bluetooth headphones to listen by connecting the transmitter to the headphone out jack of my AVR when using Google TV. If I have missed it and there is a way to use Bluetooth to stream audio from Google TV directly, I would like to read about it.

19. MacFrugal

MacFrugal New Member

The co-star has a bluetooth module. Why couldn't you connect a bluetooth speaker to it?

[h=3]Networking[/h][HR][/HR]
    WiFiYes, 802.11n/g/b
    Ethernet10/100Mbps
    Bluetooth®Yes
    Network MultimediaPlayPoint™ app lets you access media on DLNA-enabled network devices

20. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

The Hisense has to have Bluetooth (and I'm pretty sure Engadget stated in their video coverage of it that it has bluetooth 4.0) for the remote to use the trackpad and keyboard functions.

I don't know about the Hi-sense but with Vizio you can pair a bluetooth headset to it and play audio from the Vizio box directly to the headset. It should work exactly the same with bluetooth speakers. I have personally tested the BT headset functionality and it's fine.