Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star/Tivo Premiere Combo, Dream Team Unbeatable, A Cord Cutters Utopia

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Wisdom, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Official Request To "GTV-Issues" For Flash 11 - (Please Vote)
    Hi all. I made an official request for Flash 11 on GTV devices - at the "GTV Issues" web page for GTV code developers. Please go to that page (see link below) and click to "star" that feature request. The stars are in the column on the left side. Just click on the star. The request for Flash 11 is item #87. This is something that will improve GTV for everybody. Thank you: A CATFISHRIVERS PROJECT ...!

Issues - googletv-issues - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

*Tivo Premiere Series 4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are thinking about cutting the cord, and getting rid of your expensive cable/satellite bill package, the Vizio Co-Star/Tivo Premiere combo is the way to go ...

Yes ChrisG8, your eyes are not playing tricks on you, I have PlayOn.TV now (See Above Photo) ...(lol) Plus I need your help on how to configure PlayOn via the Tivo Premiere ... I'm still waiting on my Tivo Premiere to be fully activated ....!

[​IMG]

Since the new v4.6.0 upgrade, Tivo Premiere box set up for cord cutters OTA (Broadcast Digital TV Signals) set up has changed. *Good news, you can now add the sub channels to your *Favorites 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 ....ect

*(PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE A NEW CO-STAR OWNER, AFTER YOU HAVE DONE THE INITIAL FIRMWARE UPDATES, v3.5.0, v4.6.0 ....ECT YOU WILL HAVE DO A HARD RESET AND GO THROUGH THE START SCREEN SET ALL OVER AGAIN IN ORDER TO USE THE NEW v4.6.0 SET UP OPTIONS WITH YOUR NEW CO-STAR), (THE USER MANUAL WILL NOT GIVE YOU THIS INFO, SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF HEADACHES, DO THE HARD RESET AFTER YOU INSTALL THE v4.6.0 UPDATE FIRMWARE)

I integrated my Vizio Co-Stars with the Tivo Premiere *(For Cord Cutters Using OTA Digital TV Signals) by using the new v4.6.0 Co-Star update, *(Set Up Your Device)> *( DVR >*(Other Service Provider)> *(Broadcast Digital zip code)> *(Brand, type in Tivo)> *(Model, type in Premiere) and continue following the easy on screen instructions .... As far as the Co-Star remote is concern, it works better than I expected, almost 100% full function ....!

*(For Cord Cutters Using OTA Digital TV Signals), *they are other ways to do this without using the Tivo Premiere at a very low cost, http://www.amazon.com/Kworld-HDmi-E...0422590&sr=1-1&keywords=ota+tuner+hdmi+output !

Please Note: When searching for your local channels and you get a error message, just tap on (Back), retry until you get you local channels, (The Will Come In, See Photo Above), this may take several tries, so be patient ....

I want to give a ton and five truck loads of thanks to ChrisG8 for giving me the ideal to integrate my Co-Stars with the Tivo Premiere and cut the cord, yes ChrisG8, it's sweet ....(lol)

[​IMG]

In the above photo you see how the Miro folder is being accessed via the Tivo Premiere via the software "Stream Baby Stream" ....Again, you can access the Miro folder with just about all (DLNA) media Players that can be use on the Vizio Co-Star by just finding the path to the Miro folder, enjoy ....(SEE PAGE #2)

[​IMG]

Watch you Tivo Premiere recored TV from anywhere on the planet, where you can get a Internet connection ...! A lot of people still believe the Slingplayer/Slinbox Tivo Premiere remote does not exists with the A, B, C, D color buttons ...

In the above photo you see the Slingplayer Tivo Premiere remote with the A, B, C, D color buttons, thanks to Morac .... You can get the Sling Player Remote BIN Files « Downloads or here Downloads » Place Shifting Enthusiasts ....

TiVo Premeire Bin code and remote Skin files « Sling Player Remote BIN Files« Downloads

AttributeValue
    VersionV 2.0Morac
    Date postedDecember 8, 2010
    Downloaded182 times
    CategoriesSling Player Remote BIN Files

Description

This Zip files contains the Bin code and Premiere remote Skin files needed for a realistic looking remote with all the buttons. These are the instructions for getting things working when using SlingPlayer 2.0 for Windows. I don't know what is required for setting up for other systems.

1. Copy the V1111_PL.Bin from the Remote Code folder that matches the remote code set up for your Premiere (0 if no remote code is set) into your Slingbox SBAV folder located at C:\Program Files\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV.

2. Run the setup assistant program and run 'configure Video Sources' then select "Stand Alone DVR then Select Tivo and Other. Select Code "Custom" and type in V1111. Test and exit out of setup.

3. Create a new folder for the Skin files
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\Tivo Premiere\

4. Unzip all the files in TiVo Premier Remote.zip into this new folder.

5. Run the Player 2.0 program and select Tivo Premiere remote.

To Use on Watch.Slingbox.com create the folder
    %APPDATA%\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote\TiVo Premier Remote
    and unzip all the files in TiVo Premier Remote.zip into this new folder.

[​IMG]

Compare TiVo Premiere Series 4 to older TiVo DVRs

Back | Forward
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    DVR featuresTiVo Premiere/4/XL4TiVo HD/Series3TiVo Series2TiVo Series1
    HD recording capacity (up to)75/75/300 hours20/32 hoursN/AN/A
    TiVo Premiere and TiVo Premiere 4 record up to 75 hours of HD programming and Premiere XL4 records up to 300 hours of HD programming.
    Basic DVR features
    With Premiere, you'll never miss your favorite shows again. It lets you control live TV or recorded shows with pause, rewind, fast-forward, instant replay, slow motion and the new 30-second scan. You can record two shows at once with the TiVo Premiere and four shows at once with Premiere 4 and Premiere XL4.
    New HD interface
    TiVo Premiere's reinvented, visually stunning HD interface gives you the tools to search, explore, browse and discover like never before-on both TV and the web. It's now faster, easier and more intuitive than ever to find more of what you love. And a new multi-column format delivers more information per screen, so all get to all your entertainment faster.
    Search broadcast TV & Internet
    Search millions of titles and multiple sources (including the Internet) and find exactly what you want to watch. Search, discover and explore everything that's available on your Premiere all in one place. Even cooler, you'll see movie and TV show prices from all your sources, so you can do comparison shopping before purchasing.
    Browse by TV & movie posters
    TiVo Premiere's all-new, dedicated Browse feature is the perfect way to make sense of all the great content coming into your home. Not sure what you want to watch? Premiere's visual poster-browse display speeds things up by delivering considerably more information at a glance. Looking for a good movie? Top Picks has all the most popular content from across the TiVo service universe, including online partners like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. And if you're in the mood for a particular kind of movie, drill down instantly by clicking on one of dozens of categories in the new Collections feature and browse away.
    Find shows based on topical Collections
    TiVo Premiere's new Collections feature highlights the best that television and the web have to offer-all grouped into fresh, fun, up-to-date categories. Explore topical collections, event-driven collections, seasonal collections and groups of shows related to something new, interesting or popular. You can even "favorite" a collection and let the TiVo box know what's hitting your sweet spot.
    See similar shows in the Discovery Bar
    The all-new Discovery Bar is a graphic lineup of content that appears across the top of Premiere's stunning HD menus. This display gives you helpful recommendations for movies and TV shows that are similar to ones you already enjoy, as well as titles that are currently popular in the TiVo community. Drop-down menus explain why programs were recommended. Simply click any item to record it. On the right, a new picture-in-menu window enables you to keep watching your show while navigating through the menus of Premiere's HD interface.
    Live video window in menus
    The cool new picture-in-menu video window enables you to keep watching your show while using TiVo Premiere menus. It appears on the upper right side of your interface, in the Discovery Bar. This live feed can also be paused from here if you prefer.
    30-second scan
    TiVo has always give you the ability to take total control live and recorded TV with pause, rewind, fast-forward and slo-mo. Now with Premiere, we've added a one-click 30-second scan feature so you can conveniently speed through those parts of your shows you'd rather not sit through.
    Disk space meter
    TiVo Premiere's convenient, new at-a-glance disk usage meter displays how much of your 75 hours of HD recording capacity (75 with Premiere 4 and 300 with Premiere XL4) you have available at any given moment, so you can better manage your storage.
    Watch recordings on another TV
    When you have more than one TiVo box connected to your home network through broadband, you can easily transfer non-copy protected HD shows between them. Simply connect all of your TiVo boxes to your home network and you can enjoy the convenience of multi-room viewing.
    Online/mobile scheduling of recordings
    Forget to schedule a recording? Stuck in a meeting? In an airport? Don't panic. Just visit tivo.com or m.tivo.com from the web or a mobile device and search for shows, browse air times and channels, and schedule your desired recording online. It's like always having your TiVo box with you.
    Free TiVo[SUP]®[/SUP] App for iPad, iPhone, Android phones and tablets (including Kindle Fire)
    Experience TV like never before by turning smart phone or tablet into command central for your TiVo DVR. Search, browse, schedule and share without interrupting what you're watching. It's the ultimate TiVo companion.
    Transfer recordings to mobile devices
    Who says you can't take it with you? Transfer your recorded shows to your laptop and hit the road. Or use TiVo Desktop Plus to convert your shows and load them onto your iPod[SUP]®[/SUP], PSP[SUP]®[/SUP] or other media player. TiVo Desktop Plus is available for purchase and download on tivo.com.
    Expandable storage space
    You can always expand the recording capacity of your Premiere with an external hard drive. We recommend the Western Digital 1 TB My DVR Expander. Once it's plugged into the eSATA port on your TiVo box, the Expander adds an additional 140 hours of HD recording space, or up to 1,200 hours of standard-definition recording capacity.
    Supports over-the-air digital channelsPremiere only
    You may be in an ideal location to receive and record FREE over-the-air HD signals of network TV programming with a digital antenna. You'll enjoy a breathtaking picture quality unmatched by cable and satellite providers. Digital antenna required and sold separately.
    Full 1080p support
    Like the crisp detail, brilliant colors, and eye-opening quality of 1080p? Perhaps you're an action-movie aficionado? Or maybe you just want to get the most out of your HDTV? Rest assured, Premiere provides full 1080i and 1080p support, so you'll see all the action, and all the pageantry, in all its intended glory.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Broadband Internet-connected featuresTiVo Premiere/4/XL4TiVo HD/Series3TiVo Series2TiVo Series1
    World's largest on-demand video store
    With a broadband-connected Premiere, you're connected to a vast universe of on-demand choices for purchase or rent-from movies and TV shows to web videos, music videos, streaming music and more. (Availability of third-party content subject to change and additional fees may apply from third-party content providers.)
    Instantly watch Netflix movies & shows
    Instantly watch thousands of movies & TV episodes-many in brilliant HD-from Netflix. Netflix and TiVo are now playing at your house, for no extra cost with your Netflix Unlimited membership. Unlimited membership, sold separately. See Netflix Terms of Use for details.
    Amazon Instant Video movies & shows
    Now you can make any night movie night. Over 90,000 movies and TV shows are now available for download through your Premiere-with many in breathtaking HD. (Additional fees may apply from Amazon.)
    Enjoy YouTube™ videos on your TV
    From surprised kittens to sneezing baby pandas, you'll now be able to search for, browse and enjoy millions of FREE YouTube videos, right on your TV. The possibilities are virtually endless.
    Current hit shows & classic series from Hulu Plus
    TiVo[SUP]®[/SUP] Premiere users can now stream dozens of current TV programs, like Glee, 30 Rock, and Modern Family-plus many classic series and acclaimed movies.
    Subscribe to free web videos
    Find free web videos for virtually every interest under the sun and watch them on your TV. From astronomy and politics to woodworking and yoga, it's easy to find free videos that match your particular area of interest. You can even subscribe for regular updates (RSS feeds), which you'll find waiting for you in your "My Shows" folder.
    Access streaming music services
    Whether you're in the mood for classical, hip-hop or anything in between, it's easy to access millions of songs directly through your broadband-connected TiVo Premiere. With Pandora, you can create your own FREE radio stations based on a favorite song or band. Or use your Rhapsody[SUP]®[/SUP] account to stream the music you love (available on TiVo Premiere DVRs only). You can even listen to hundreds of FREE music channels with Live365. As you can hear, your musical options are virtually endless. (Additional fees may apply from third-party content providers.)
    Listen to your PC/Mac music library
    You no longer need to enjoy your computer's personal music library through your computer's speakers or headphones. With TiVo Desktop software it's simple to stream the tunes you love the most on your TV or home entertainment system. Rock on. (TiVo Desktop software required.)
    View your photos on the big screen

Official Request To "GTV-Issues" For Flash 11 - (Please Vote)
    Hi all. I made an official request for Flash 11 on GTV devices - at the "GTV Issues" web page for GTV code developers. Please go to that page (see link below) and click to "star" that feature request. The stars are in the column on the left side. Just click on the star. The request for Flash 11 is item #87. This is something that will improve GTV for everybody. Thank you: A CATFISHRIVERS PROJECT ...!

Issues - googletv-issues - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Tivo boxes have been around for a long time, but I wish I had found out about watching TV via the Tivo before now ...

I was paying Comcast $110.00 a month without the Internet and next month it would have been $146.00, that is without the Internet too ....

So the Vizio Co-Star/Tivo Premiere combo are truly the Comcast killer for me ....(lol)

3. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

What did it cost you to integrate the Tivo? How does it work, exactly?

I currently have OTA antennas on 2 of my TVs + Co-Stars, and Xbox360 on my main TV (for easier/better WatchESPN access). There's still a CBS 'hole' in my setup, though, since HULU+ doesn't have their programming - could Tivo by my answer?

4. brikon

brikon New Member

Yea I went this way, however I think the Tivo service is too darn expensive for only OTA tv. Wisdom, I thought you were talking about getting a boxee combo (or am I mistaken) a while back?

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The prices vary from as low as $45.00 ...! It works just like the Co-Star would with a cable box or satellite TV receiver .....

6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

After my friend sent his Boxee TV back, because of heat related problems, I decided to abandon the project ....

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I certainly think TiVo with OTA, Google TV, and a Blu-ray player with Vudu is the best cord cutting solution although not the cheapest. An HTPC is the only other solution I have seen that I could live with but I much prefer TiVo for ease of use and reliability. My TiVos are now 4 year old models and I plan to continue to use them for at least another 4 years which would mean the cost per month of use would end up being less than $6 each if I can pull that off, service and hardware. The TiVo Premiere adds some nice features compared to mine and Google TV second generation improves on the first generation so today, that dynamic duo is even better.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ChrisG8 have you tested the app in the above top photo "StreamBaby Stream", so far it seems to be the best app that I have thus far found for the Tivo Premiere, it's sweet ... I'm also in the process of testing "Tivo Desktop" and "KMTTG v0p9d" in the (Above bottom Photo) ....

Now "KMTTG v0p9d" is a real high tech app that works very well also with the Tivo Premiere, this also has a built in remote of the Tivo Premiere (See Middle Photo Above) ... That's how sweet the "KMTTG v0p9d" is, but truly high tech, I'm still reading the user control manual on this one ...

ChrisG8 you are one billion percent% correct, the OTA live TV, plus the Vizio Co-Star (Google TV) entertainment package with a web browser and Vudu are a awesome dream team, unbeatable ... Turly a Comcast Killer ....!

The thing here is for me, I'm just happy I don't have to pay Comcast a $100.00 plus a month anymore ... The Tivo Premiere has a cable card slot built in for digital cable TV, but I will not be going that way again ...(l0l)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  9. ChrisG8

I have never used StreamBaby or pyTiVo or KMTTG or any other third party software from the TiVo hacking community. I use TiVo Desktop, the free version, to transfer programs from TiVo to PC and the direct transfer from TiVo to TiVo that comes with service. My needs are covered by the basic TiVo software and it has worked reliably for me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

PyTivo is the ultimate Tivo Premiere app, it does it all and does it very well too ....!(l0l) I plan on purchasing the "Tivo Desktop" pay version, the "Tivo Desktop Plus" app ...!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

If you are a Vizio Co-Star owner and you are thinking about cutting the cord, now is the perfect time ...

A awesome cord cutters set up with your Vizio Co-Star would be the Tivo Premiere, it's FREE$$$, $0.00 now ...

It's the perfect combo set up for cord cutters, plus the Tivo Premiere works very well the Vizio Co-Star remote, sweet .....

Do the math ....!(l0l)

12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Watch you Tivo Premiere recored TV from anywhere on the planet, where you can get a Internet connection ...! A lot of people still believe the Slingplayer/Slingbox Tivo Premiere remote does not exists with the A, B, C, D color buttons ...

In the above photo you see the Slingplayer Tivo Premiere remote with the A, B, C, D color buttons, thanks to Morac .... You can get the Sling Player Remote BIN Files « Downloads or here Downloads » Place Shifting Enthusiasts ....

TiVo Premeire Bin code and remote Skin files « Sling Player Remote BIN Files« Downloads
    AttributeValue
    VersionV 2.0Morac
    Date postedDecember 8, 2010
    Downloaded182 times
    CategoriesSling Player Remote BIN Files

Description

This Zip files contains the Bin code and Premiere remote Skin files needed for a realistic looking remote with all the buttons. These are the instructions for getting things working when using SlingPlayer 2.0 for Windows. I don't know what is required for setting up for other systems.

1\. Copy the V1111_PL.Bin from the Remote Code folder that matches the remote code set up for your Premiere (0 if no remote code is set) into your Slingbox SBAV folder located at C:\Program Files\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV.

2\. Run the setup assistant program and run 'configure Video Sources' then select "Stand Alone DVR then Select Tivo and Other.
    Select Code "Custom" and type in V1111. Test and exit out of setup.

3\. Create a new folder for the Skin files %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\Tivo Premiere\

4\. Unzip all the files in TiVo Premier Remote.zip into this new folder.

5\. Run the Player 2.0 program and select Tivo Premiere remote.

To Use on Watch.Slingbox.com create the folder %APPDATA%\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote\TiVo Premier Remote and unzip all the files in TiVo Premier Remote.zip into this new folder.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

In the above top photo is a view of the smartphone Slingplayer Tivo Premiere recording set up or you can access and play your recorded TV/movies ....ect ...

[​IMG]

The above photo here is a tablet view ....!

The advantage of having a SlingPlayer/Slingbox in your Tivo Premiere DVR recording set up, you don't have to worry about transferring you recorded media content to another mobile device like you have to do with the Tivo Desktop app ... Again with the Slingbox/Slingplayer you can play live TV or recorded TV from anywhere, anytime on the fly.....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I finally got the Vizio Co-Star remote to be/operate like a full functional remote with my Tivo Premiere boxes ( A Cord Cutters TV Dream Team Machines), now Google, bring on your big bad Google TV 3 (Tray) update.... I got you covered, ready for ya, yeah, bring it ON, because it's ON now ...(l0l)

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

MIRO IS A MUST HAVE IF YOU ARE A "VIZIO CO-STAR OWNER", WORKS WITH JUST ABOUT ALL STREAMING (DLNA) MEDIA PLAYERS (Just Find The Path To You Tv/Video Folders) TIVO BOXES VIA "STREAM BABY STREAM", AND Tivo Desktop/Tivo Desktop Plus ...

[​IMG]

If you have the Vizio Co-Star/Tivo duo combo set up and you really want to enhance your multimedia set up then add "Miro" (Miro Is A Internet TV/Video Downloader, Sweet Too) to your set up, via your PC/Laptop on the same network with your Co-Star or Tvio boxes ...

Even if you don't have the Co-Star/Tivo set up, you can still add "Miro" to your current Multimedia system set up ... Works with just about all (DLNA) media players (Just Find The Path To Your TV/Videos Folders) like PlayPoint, "Stream Baby Stream", and Tivo Desktop/Tivi Desktop Plus ...

You can get the "Miro" download PC/Mac here
    Miro Video Player | Download ..... Miro will auto download your RSS TV shows/Podcast and place them in a folders, plus sub folders .... You can get just about all the TV RSS feeds here showRSS + your favorite tv shows , just sign up, that's it .....

[​IMG]

In the above photo you see how the Miro folder is being accessed via the Tivo Premiere via the software "Stream Baby Stream" ....Again, you can access the Miro folder with just about all (DLNA) media Players that can be use on the Vizio Co-Star by just finding the path to the Miro folder, enjoy ....

Miro Complete details below ...!

"MIRO IS YOUR TIVO FOR INTERNET VIDEO"

Thanks A Ton And A Truck Load To
    Gina Trapani, the editor of Lifehacker

[​IMG]

In the dog days of summer when there's absolutely nothing new on television (except the Olympics), it's time to start watching the web-and you need the right tool to do just that. The free, cross-platform internet video player
    Miro can automatically download online video series via RSS feed or BitTorrent, play almost any format you throw at it, and keep track of what you've watched and what's new and queued up for you ....

More and more independent producers are putting out fabulous video content on the web, but keeping up with it by visiting your favorite video hosting web site or in your regular
    feed reader can be almost impossible-but setting up Miro is like getting TiVo for web video. Let's take a look at how to subscribe to free internet television with Miro ....
    Miro's TiVo-Like Features

In short, Miro is a video "podcatcher"-software that uses video feeds to automatically download new episodes for you and keep track of what you've watched and not watched. Kind of like an inbox for your video subscriptions, here's what Miro looks like with a few subscriptions set up .....

[​IMG]

(Note: This screenshot is from a Mac, but Miro works on Windows and Linux as well.) There you can see my subscription to the great Google Talks YouTube feed, and Miro separates what's available on the feed, what clips it's already downloaded to my hard drive, what's unwatched, and what it's in the process of downloading in an easy to use interface. On the left hand column, you can see my current subscriptions, and how many unwatched items each has in the green circle ....

Since I often can't take time out of a workday to watch longer video clips, I like to run Miro on a computer connected to my actual television, so I can relax on the couch and watch my subscriptions full-screen during TV time. Here's a rundown of the killer features that make Miro ideal for keeping up with online video:

• Automatic downloads and unwatched counts keep you on top of your subscriptions. Like TiVo's Season Pass, Miro works in the background, silently queuing up video you've subscribed and storing it for as long as you specify. Like your email inbox or RSS reader, it displays how many unwatched items you have next to each subscription in the left column.
    • Auto-expire times delete the old stuff you're never going to see. Like TiVo, you can tell Miro to automatically expire and delete video that's older than a certain number days, or to stop downloading after it's queued up a certain number of unwatched episodes.

[​IMG]
    • Video search, folders, and playlists let you find and organize as you see fit. Create playlists of clips, and drag and drop subscriptions and playlists into folders and subfolders in the left column to keep your video organized and easy to access. Here you can see that I put all the parts of The Machine that Changed The World (a documentary on the history of computing Miro downloaded via BitTorrent from here), in its own playlist. (Click to enlarge.)
    • [​IMG]
    • Resume where you stopped playing. Like TiVo, Miro remembers where in your clip you hit the "Stop" button, and can resume playing an item right where you left off ....
    Most important of all, Miro seems to be able to play any video file format you throw at it. You can also go full-screen on playback by hitting the Ctrl+F key combination (or choosing Full Screen from the Playback menu) ....

[​IMG]

Adding Channels to Miro

If you're new to watching online video series, some of Miro's terminology can be confusing at first. Inside Miro, a "channel" is actually a feed of clips. So if you're at a YouTube page like the
    Talks@Google page, to subscribe to that channel in Miro you need to copy the video RSS feed to your clipboard. In Firefox you can use the blue RSS icon on the far right of the address bar; in this case that URL is http://www.youtube.com/ut_rss?type=username&arg=AtGoogleTalks. Once you've copied that link to your clipboard, in Miro from the Channels menu, choose Add Channel. Miro will automatically enter what's on your clipboard into the URL entry box, so you can hit Enter or OK to subscribe ......

[​IMG]

By default, YouTube user subscriptions appear in your subscription list named "YouTube :: Videos by So-and-So." To give it a more recognizable name, right click on the sub in the left column and choose Rename Channel, and enter a better name (for easier spotting and sorting).

You can also create a dynamic, keyword-based search channel with Miro. Say you want to see all the videos on YouTube that involve the word Lifehacker. From the Channels menu, choose "New Search Channel" and enter your keyword and source (either an engine, playlist, or URL.)

[​IMG]

Use the Playlist menu to create manual playlists that you can drag and drop individual video clips into. Then you can also use the Channels and Playlist menus to create folders in your subscription list; then, drag and drop videos and subscriptions into those folders to organize them further.

Watch a Web Series Continuously

One of Miro's handier features is its ability to do continuous, consecutive playback on a group of videos. For example, when you want to watch a web series like
    The Guild-each episode of which is just a few minutes-you can sort the subscription from episode 1 through 10, then start playing the first one, and sit back and relax. Once Miro's finished playing back one episode, it can automatically move onto the next till you've watched the entire playlist or subscription.
    [​IMG]

Recommended Channels

While Miro comes with a nice selection of starter channels, here are a few tangentially related to nerds and lifehackers around the internet I really like:

Check out what video feeds your fellow readers suggested in our recent Ask the Readers post about the best video feeds out there.

Of course, subscribing to video podcasts is just one way Miro can download content from the web. Back when Miro was named Democracy Player, Adam detailed how to
    use its built-in BitTorrent client to download your favorite TV episode torrents from the web .....

Two last items of note before getting started with Miro: First, while Miro is relatively stable, on a slower machine it can hog up resources when it's catching up on your subscriptions. On my old PowerBook media center Mac, once in awhile I have to restart Miro to get other things done on the machine. Second, while iTunes does have the ability to subscribe to video podcasts, Miro is a much better tool for the job. Check out this
    comparison of iTunes' video podcatching capabilities versus iTunes ......

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  16. KordKutter

KordKutter New Member

I have a tivo series 3 with ota and considering a google tv as well. But I dont understand yet how the gtv's search and guide work with the tivo. How does gtv get guide info specifically about my local ota channels? Where is that info coming from? Also can the gtv search/display tivo's "now playing list"?

17. ChrisG8

Google TV can not search the TiVo Now Playing List and the Google TV guide of OTA channels comes from the internet. Of course if you have TiVo service, you already have guide information so I only find the Google TV OTA program guide of great importance with the one TiVo I don't have subscribed, I use the Buddy TV Guide app for that TiVo but there are other options. Having both TiVo and Google TV connected to the same HDMI input on AVR and display and controlled by the same remote simplifies operation for the female head of household and makes accessing internet programming much easier.

We have Google TV and TiVoHD at each of three HDTVs in the household, I think it is the best combination for a cord cutter but with some content providers not playing nice with Google TV, I recently added Roku boxes. There is a lot of redundancy with Google TV and Roku but Google TV does a lot of things Roku doesn't do and Roku adds some important services not available yet with Google TV, like Vudu and Hulu Plus. If I had to have just one of the two smart TV platforms, it would be Google TV but together the pair have everything I want covered.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

The above now playing search list menu and functions on my Tivos Premiere are done via my Vizi Co-Star remote ...

[​IMG]

As you know in the above photo this function operation is also being done via the Vizio Co-star too ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above bottom two photos of my now playing search was also accessed via the Vizio Co-Star remote, , even to the writing of the letters ... In other words my Vizio Co-Star remote is 100% FULL functional and paired with my Tivo Promiere boxes ....

I have no problems accessing any menu or search now playing list via my Vizio Co-star remote, sweet ...! I cannot speak for others who may have their system set up entirely different ...!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  19. ChrisG8

The OP has a series 3 TiVo, my TiVoHD is a series 3 TiVo although there were two different models as far as Google TV interaction there would be no difference but compared to the TiVo Premiere running additional software there would be a lot of difference.

As far as being able to search the now playing list, I don't think there is any way to get Google TV to do that, regardless of model.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

The OP in this thread does not display any Tivo Series 3 boxes, this info is totally false and 1000% incorrect ....! The Tvio Premiere Series 4 are displayed on the OP of this thread (See Above Photo) .... I wonder where this incorrect false info came from, huh ...! The Tivo Series 3 supports 1080i, while the Tivo Premiere Series 4 supports 1080i and 1080p ....

I don't see why a Google TV remote would not be able to access the now playing list of the Tivo Premiere Series 4 boxes, my Co-Star remote can do it (See Above Photos), so why not the Google TV remote, this does not make any sense to me ...(l0l)

DVR featuresTiVo Premiere/4/XL4TiVo HD/Series3TiVo Series2TiVo Series1
    HD recording capacity (up to)75/75/300 hours20/32 hoursN/AN/A
    TiVo Premiere and TiVo Premiere 4 record up to 75 hours of HD programming and Premiere XL4 records up to 300 hours of HD programming.
    Basic DVR features
    With Premiere, you'll never miss your favorite shows again. It lets you control live TV or recorded shows with pause, rewind, fast-forward, instant replay, slow motion and the new 30-second scan. You can record two shows at once with the TiVo Premiere and four shows at once with Premiere 4 and Premiere XL4.
    New HD interface
    TiVo Premiere's reinvented, visually stunning HD interface gives you the tools to search, explore, browse and discover like never before-on both TV and the web. It's now faster, easier and more intuitive than ever to find more of what you love. And a new multi-column format delivers more information per screen, so all get to all your entertainment faster.
    Search broadcast TV & Internet
    Search millions of titles and multiple sources (including the Internet) and find exactly what you want to watch. Search, discover and explore everything that's available on your Premiere all in one place. Even cooler, you'll see movie and TV show prices from all your sources, so you can do comparison shopping before purchasing.
    Browse by TV & movie posters
    TiVo Premiere's all-new, dedicated Browse feature is the perfect way to make sense of all the great content coming into your home. Not sure what you want to watch? Premiere's visual poster-browse display speeds things up by delivering considerably more information at a glance. Looking for a good movie? Top Picks has all the most popular content from across the TiVo service universe, including online partners like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. And if you're in the mood for a particular kind of movie, drill down instantly by clicking on one of dozens of categories in the new Collections feature and browse away.
    Find shows based on topical Collections
    TiVo Premiere's new Collections feature highlights the best that television and the web have to offer-all grouped into fresh, fun, up-to-date categories. Explore topical collections, event-driven collections, seasonal collections and groups of shows related to something new, interesting or popular. You can even "favorite" a collection and let the TiVo box know what's hitting your sweet spot.
    See similar shows in the Discovery Bar
    The all-new Discovery Bar is a graphic lineup of content that appears across the top of Premiere's stunning HD menus. This display gives you helpful recommendations for movies and TV shows that are similar to ones you already enjoy, as well as titles that are currently popular in the TiVo community. Drop-down menus explain why programs were recommended. Simply click any item to record it. On the right, a new picture-in-menu window enables you to keep watching your show while navigating through the menus of Premiere's HD interface.
    Live video window in menus

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013