Quantcast

Vizio-Co-Star (Reviews), Your Hands On Experience

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Wisdom, Aug 16, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to confirm this? Hisense recently said that they will be updating the Pulse to jellybean within a few monts:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/hisense-pulse/9079-good-news-pulse-owners.html

I think that tends to be good news in general for the other GTV devices. Even though I believe the Co-Star is being discontinued - I still think there's a fairly good chance that it eventually gets the Jellybean update. It might take a while though.....

2. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I hope you are right, but I believe the timeline is (please correct my mistake)

- May 2013: Google announced the JB update for GTV
    - (end of?) Oct 2013: it was allegedly given to OEMs ?
    - Nov(?) 2013: LGTV folks actually got the update

so for the rest of us, it's a matter of how many months the OEMs can take to layer their skins, etc, over it? Too bad LG doesn't make a stand-alone box.. they seem to be the only OEM with more than a part-time co-op working on their GTV products (I'll revise that statement to include HiSense once their new box is no longer vapor-ware)

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would guess only companies with newer models will provide the update to older Google TV models, meaning Sony, Hisense and LG. Vizio, Netgear and Asus would have to spend too much money since none have recent models or upcoming models with Jellybean out of the box. Of course we haven't actually seen the Sony or Hisense Jellybean updates and until we do nothing is certain. It isn't impossible that Vizio, Netgear or Asus will update but considering the cost and the percentage of users that will end up with bricks when attempting the update or claim the update bricked their box and expect a free replacement, I just don't see the benefit justifies the expense for the others.

4. Esalas666

Esalas666 New Member

When I purchase my Vizio Co-Star I already had 1 revue and 1 Sony BRay. The only reason for me to justify the purchase was that Google said that the JB update was going to be applied to new gen devices. And believe it or not the Co-Star is the one that I regret the most. I just sold the sony Blueray for $70.00 to a co worker, by the way, the sony BR was the best GTV experience for me, was quick, almost no restarts required in months. Did try to sell the revue but nobody wants it, will keep it as a Plex box. I even connected one of my GTV devices to my Brand new Xbox One, doing the inception of the STBs. But I,m ready to quit on Google TV. Google quit first than us.

The co-star experience have been the worst. At first it was very responsive compared to the revue, but two months down and the problems started. From black screens to remote pairing issues that at the moment are still happening worst than ever. The remote pair and in 1 minute unpaired. Some days I feel like throwing the Co-star by the window on a three story path to destruction.

For what I needed the GTV platform serve well, but, it is just exhausting and sometimes frustrating. From now will keep both devices in their separate HDMI port and use it when Plex is needed. Got to give credit to my wife for supporting me and the three confusing remotes that I impose on her.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ChrisG8

I also have several Google TV boxes and agree with your assessments of the Co-Star and Sony NSZ-GT1 but I continue to use the GT1 almost daily. I chose to operate all Google TV models except the Co-Star with the Logitech K700 keyboard and therefore the woman I live with can operate all in the same manner and she has never even touched the little qwerty keypads that came with the various models we use now that I retired the Revue. We have no plans to replace Google TV but I can understand why others might want to try the XBox One or something different. She doesn't even know what a Co-Star is, it is small enough she hasn't noticed it.

6. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Heh, I just bought an Asus Cube v2. I have always liked the Cube form factor and Asus makes nice products. The Cube v2 is relatively new. I hope they upgrade it. Nevertheless, neat product even with its paltry 1 gig ram :)

Philip

7. joecitizen

joecitizen New Member

I have this love hate relationship with the vizio co-star. I love it when it works, but, it seems like every month You get that black vizio screen thats just frozen at the boot screen. That's when you know that problem are coming.. It seems it's that time of the month. It seems I can always fix it with a reboot. Now it won't do that, I think it's toast. I haven't had this thing a year and it has more issue's than national geographic. I don't even care if Vizio replace's this F!@#$%g thing I'm tired of it. I'll never buy anything from Vizio again... I wish I could make everybody in the world stop buying from vizio. I hate them. No updates, No flash, and no f-ing nothing... You have to be a damn scientist to make it a presentable system, but, it matters not, because in a damn month your going to have to reboot it and reinstall everything anyways.. Then eventually it won't reboot ever again. Since I've bought this thing it outdated in a matter of 5, months. Websites don't play anymore Plex sucks on this unit too. I've spent countless hours reading upon reading to get some semi satisfactory content on it, but , for what. It's going to S!@# the bed anyhoo. Save yourself the headaches and the heartache don't buy this thing Vizio can careless about this unit anyways. You can tell by the updates. I mean when we all bought this thing it was always bugging us to download somethig we couldn't anyway. The flash. I have a feeling I'll have trouble getting a damn replacement anyhow. thats why I'll never buy anything from that company again. The very few people that did get replacements had to send them back 2-3 times anyway. Save your money.. Their tv's suck too. My brother in law has one Youtube on it s slow. Why did you guy's at vizio attemp to sell this crap when it works like crap?

8. ChrisG8

I am glad to see you have the Cube, we don't have many members here with one, especially the v2. One possibility, if Hisense gets the update out for the Pulse, that might be able to run without problems on the other models that are essentially the same, Netgear and Asus. The Vizio Co-Star doesn't have IR control from the box, a big difference and running different manufacturer firmware won't be optimal if it is even possible.

9. CatfishRivers

Several people have reported that if you take the Co-Star apart there is a another reset button on the bottom of the motherboard. Pressing that button reportedly has restored several bricked costars that otherwise wouldn't reboot. See post #8 in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-bricked-latest-update-any-suggestions-2.html

From the above link here is lglmorris's post (#8) from that thread:

*** I found a solution to my bricked Co-star. If you disassemble the box, (at your own risk of course) there is a more functional 'reset' button on the bottom of the motherboard. Push this in for 15 sec or so. It will completely rest the co-star. You may have to do this a few times to get it to work correctly. The main issue with the co-stars is the heat they generate when on. I never turned mine off and at a certain point it must have overheated and failed. But, the reset worked. The following link will show you how to disassemble the box:

Vizio Co-Star Teardown - iFixit: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Vizio+Co-Star+Teardown/10187

If this link doesn't work, do a search for 'co-star teardown' to get to the site. It has great photos and explanations. When you disassemble the box you will see the processor and heat sink have a paste. It may be Artic Silver or some other heat paste. I thought about replacing it, but decided not to because the box is working. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Finally, be sure to turn the co-star off when not in use to avoid overheating. You may also wish to add a fan to the bottom when it's on. Kerry ***

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. joecitizen

joecitizen New Member

I want to do that, however Vizio said they'd replace it. I just got the roku 3 and the chromecast yesterday too. What a huge difference. I almost forgot how good Plex worked on Roku... You tube is awesome too. Only thing is I like how I can Hack up my Co-star... I'm also glad to hear someone found another reset button.. Yeah, Vizio would do that. Let see how this replacement goes... Or should I open it up.. I'm really good with tools, it's just I did that to my external hardrive and ruined the warranty.. IDK... Thanks Catfishrivers, You seem to alway's be there...

11. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Keep digging with the tools... borked HDD == powerful magnet to play with :)

12. CatfishRivers

I only suggest opening up the Co-Star for those with a bricked Co-Star and the unit is out of warranty. For those of you with a unit that is out of warranty - still try contacting Vizio first anyway - as I've read in some cases they will still send out a replacement unit.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  13. HDfan

HDfan New Member

I'm thinking of buying the roku 3 or the appletv 3 generation
    To say good bye to my Vizio co Star.

Enviado desde mi iPad Mini con Tapatalk

14. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Might be worth waiting to see if the rumors about next-gen AppleTV come true in the next ~2 months. If true, Apple will finally eliminate one of my greatest objections (lack of apps).

Come 'on Google.. get your act in gear, or watch the market wave bye bye.

15. snow11

snow11 New Member

I here you on the co star I swapped over to a Minix Neo X5 Dual Core Android Media Hub and LOVE it

16. HDfan

HDfan New Member

Well i Think i buy the Roku 3 for now, because i have a nimbleTV account
    and don't work on Chrome in GoogleTV. I don't like watch tv in the small screen in the iPad mini.

17. HDfan

HDfan New Member

and this box have the latest update to Google Chrome? or use the same linux googletv

18. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Of course it depends what you want to do but the Roku 3 is quite a bit underpowered compared to an iPad+ Apple TV. We have both set ups and I the Roku is nice but in personally prefer the ATV.

Philip

19. joecitizen

joecitizen New Member

I Received my new Co-star yesterday from Vizio themselves.. I'm happy to have the box back.. Since it's been away I got the Roku 3, and The Chromecast. Which goes nicely with the Co-Star. I haven't been using the Chromecast because the Wifi Su@#'s on it. With the Co-star it's great because the dongle doesn't have to be on the back of the TV.
    I noticed some changes on My new Co-star. I got the Co-star as soon as I saw it on the shelfs. Now I got a newer one. Now when i was installing all of my apps I noticed I wasn't able to install Google drive on the co-star, and I can't use the Google chrome to phone feature anymore... Why?? I like the Chrome to phone feature for when my box act's up and I need to Save my Links to my home page, it make having to go to all of those sites faster by doing it right from the computer, flinging it to the TV and then saving it. Do I have an option thats disabled? Or do the new boxes come with less option's than the older ones? Why can't you install Google Drive on the Co-star anymore? So those are the 2, thing's I've noticed so far on a new Co-star. No Google Chrome to phone, and no Google Drive... Am I doing something Wrong? They both Worked on the last one.
    I also came across something when I did the 3, factory resets. On one of the resets(because I did 6, in total) I jumped the gun and pressed the factory reset button on the bottom twice and it brought me to a android boot screen. Where you have the choice to boot from SD card, or to restart the machine, and to do a hard factory reset. It was like when you do a hard reset on an Android phone... Why didn't I ever get this option on my older Co-star? Weird.. Am I the only one to experience this? Thanks for reading my Rambling. Citizen

20. joecitizen

joecitizen New Member

there all great boxes for different things, Roku 3, is on to something with the extended Wifi range. It's a wonder why they didn't do that with the chromecast. I think all new boxes should have mandatory extended Wifi.
    The Roku 3, is good for the plex content, epix, usatv(awesome) and more.. While the Co-star is good for Hacking the Sh!@#! out of it, Making it think its a cell phone for content you can't view without a cell phone, texting on your TV, and using chrome to watch movies. What's also good about it is that you can wirelessly connect your bluetooth speakers, connect everything in you house to it and the remote.. It's an awesome box. And you can connect your Chromecast or Roku to it too. Its just that it breaks down every month or so and then you have to repeat all that jazz all over again. No updates either.. With the Chromecast connected it looks like its on life support. I'll make my own box, The VizioRokuCast-Star

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014