Quantcast

Vizio-Co-Star (Reviews), Your Hands On Experience

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Wisdom, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I like the browser on the TV because it opens up so much more content and things we can do with the box, but it never should have been used in lieu of App support.

Certainly GTV is more complicated by the addition of a touchpad and a keyboard, but it sure is a lot easier to search on my GTV than say on my Apple Tv or Roku.

2. joecitizen

joecitizen New Member

Hello, I use a mac, and I own a Vizio Co-Star. When I go to install the Orientation Control app, It say's its incompatible with my device. Also, What could I use to Mirror the internet from my Mac to my Co-star to my TV? Thanks..

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. You probably need to sideload the orientation control app.

As for mirroring content from your mac - here is a link to an interesting review comparing the Chromecast to the Tronsmart T100 Wireless Display adapter:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...tronsmart-t1000-wireless-display-adapter.html

4. joecitizen

joecitizen New Member

Does any body know of any way to have the Co-star recognized by airplay? All I find is IOS compatibilities, is there any OSX 10.9.1, capabilities??? You can IM me here or in private.. Any serious help would be appreciated..

5. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Well you could buy a software AirPlay receiver from the Play store. It's called Airtight. It's quite good but doesn't handle mirroring. I've been using it for over a year.

Philip

6. CatfishRivers

I've heard good things about Airtight - but as pmcd mentioned it doesn't do mirroring - also content protected with DRM won't 'fling'. I suggest that anyone considering purchasing Airtight read the reviews first in the Google Play Store.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  7. davekaz

davekaz New Member

Today it froze. Had fan under it ..tried to reset it and it just stays frozen...oh well. Had since it started selling on vizio..worked great until .....it froze$ guess I have to look at a new box. Any suggestions on frozen vizio deserts or new android box or stick?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If it has been unplugged for a few days and still can't be reset, I don't really have any fix suggestions. If you know Google TV is the smart TV platform you want, you might be able to find a Sony NSZ-GS7 or GS8 at a great price today. The Sony models are the same with the exception of the remote, the GS8 includes a voice control remote, similar to the Co-Star remote otherwise except the Sony remotes are backlit. In my opinion the Sony models are better, the differences have been detailed here many times but I can offer a quick summary of some key differences from memory.

Sony has 8GB Flash Storage, Co-Star 4
    Sony has 2 USB ports, Co-Star 1
    Sony controls IR devices from the box, by use of emitter cables, Co-Star from remote

The consensus is the Sony models are more likely to be updated to Android 4.2.2 but nothing is certain in that regard as far as I know, both Sony and Vizio could be updated.

9. csrini1

csrini1 Member

Using paper clip reset costar an retry. Push the paper lip in the bottom hole until your costar goes off and restarts, generally this should wok.

10. ponghclub

ponghclub Member

my co-star touchpad on remote not work anymore but keyboard still work after i have to do factory reset.... i try to pair but unsuccessful ( the remote in sleep mode) how can i fix this problem? any help i appreciate..... thanks

sent from sero 7 pro using tapatalk2

11. CatfishRivers

Have you tried changing the batteries?

I suggest looking at Revue5's tips in post #2 of the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/5958-co-star-tips.html

Try this tip:

"If the touch-pad of the remote is not operated for a while, it may not sense any attempts at operations. When you want to use it again, Hold the remote up, or
    After clicking the touch-pad, lift your finger off it for a few seconds."

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  12. HDfan

HDfan New Member

this is sad Ustream doesn't work anymore on Vizio Co Star :mad:

i always watch Ustream via Google chrome, but now says need flash or something i feel so unhappy because now i miss the CES2014

what happend with this box, any sugestion a new box? ...... yes a new tv box but with last google chrome update.

13. CatfishRivers

I believe UStream updated to Flash 11. It doesn't work on my Logitech Revue either. However Livestream.com has some good content and most all of it works on my Revue.

The GTV Jellybean update removes Flash from the browser - so UStream still wouldn't work after the Jellybean update. Some GTV Jellybean users have tried Flash workarounds - but mostly they are reporting the video quality isn't very good.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  14. ponghclub

ponghclub Member

i follow your instructions.... i get my bluetooth back....... thanks

send from my b&n nook hd+

15. CatfishRivers

Just a heads-up - the following article (from January 7th) mentions that the Google TV Co-Star has been discontinued:

The Evolution Of Vizio Internet Apps (click for full article)

From the above link:

"remaining Google TV-powered Costar inventory is working its way through the sales channel, with the newer, sleeker Costar LT ($80) acting as its Yahoo-powered replacement"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  16. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

I did an online chat with Vizio a few weeks ago and asked if the original Co-Star was being discontinued and they said no. Oh well, that sucks as it has such great potential.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using some version of Tapatalk that maybe works sorta some of the time perhaps (I think)...

17. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

Per an online chat with Vizio right now they are saying it is still a current product and not being discontinued. He says that is based on the latest info he has. As far as a Jellybean update - still no info at all.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using some version of Tapatalk that maybe works sorta some of the time perhaps (I think)...

18. CatfishRivers

I cannot confirm the validity of that Dave Zatz article that I posted - but IMO it's probably true. The first and biggest clue was that Amazon stopped carrying the GTV Co-Star months ago. Recently Walmart stopped re-stocking the Co-Star also. Next the big price drop to $78 at some retailers along with poor sales figures. I've seen some other internet retailers offering the Co-Star as a "closeout" item recently.

IMO Vizio doesn't want to make the news 'official' because they still need to sell the remaining inventory - (making the news 'official' would make it more duifficult for Vizio to unload the remaining inventory). I think the writing is on the wall - but nothing 'official' has been announced yet.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  19. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

Sadly I suspect you are correct. I've had overall good success with my CoStar units but I guess it didn't generate the sales figures they had hoped. My biggest disappointment will be lack of future updates once they officially kill it off.

20. HDfan

HDfan New Member

No more update for the original Vizio Co Star.... I lost $ 120 dollars :/

Enviado desde mi iPad Mini con Tapatalk