Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star Recently Gimped?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by rochambeau, May 11, 2013.

1. rochambeau

rochambeau New Member

Just received my new Co-Star today and went through a couple of rounds of updates to get it current.

I found a couple reviews/forum posts that have some really nifty tips/tricks but here's the problem.

EVERY app they reference is listed as "not compatible" in the Google Play Store.

I tried installing Dropbox via the APK; it installs but crashes every time.

DO I have a defective unit or did a recent update totally break this device?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. This is not an indication that you have a defective device. The number of apps especially designed for GTV is relatively small - thus many of the apps mentioned on the forum will only work if they are "sideloaded" onto your GTV device.

Check out this thread for some good instructions for sideloading apps onto your GTV device:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-s-nsz-gs7/7525-sideload-apps.html

* Note: Some apps that are sideloaded (and not designed for GTV) might crash. This could be due to several things including improper orientation or the app being built with NDK. GTV doesn't support apps based on NDK. If you are going to be doing a lot of sideloading - I suggest installing an orientation control app on your Co-Star.

If you read the thread about sideloading (from the link that I posted) - you will see that the recent Dropbox APK version crashes on all GTV devices. So that is not an issue specific to your Vizio Co-Star.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Name the apps and I will tell you if they will work on the Co-Star without problems ...

4. rochambeau

rochambeau New Member

ADW
    Folder Organizer
    Orientation Control
    DropBox

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Also make sure that you properly set up your account with Gmail:

"Set up or add a device to use Google Play

To use Google Play to download Android apps, you'll need to have a Google account with a Google email (either Gmail or a Google-hosted domain) associated with your phone or tablet. Follow these steps to set up or add an existing Google account to your device or create a new Google account for use with Google Play:

Turn on your device and tap the Google Play Store app.

If you haven't added an email account to your device, you'll be prompted to "Add a Google Account."

Follow the instructions on the device, which will walk you through signing into an existing Google account or creating a new Google account.

Once you have signed into your existing Google account or created a new account, you'll be able to use Google Play to download Android apps.

Keep in mind that if you intend to purchase apps, you'll also need to make sure your Google account is set up for use with Google Wallet."

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2521798?hl=en&ref_topic=2803017

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I would not install ADW and Folder Organizer on my Co-Stars, some people say they work on they Co-Star just fine .... Dropbox, install the DropBox in my DropBox thread ONLY, the rest of the DropBox app will not work on the Co-Star correctly ... Also install the Orentation Control app mention in my Dropbox thread ONLY, that's the one that works real well on the Co-star ...