Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS And AC3 Via Optical Audio OutPut Settings

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Wisdom, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

"A Home TV With A "Optical Audio OutPut" To A AV Receiver, We Can Play Movies With/Via "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" Right From Your Co-Star" ....

"If You Don't Know The "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" Are Already On Your Vizio Co-Star Built In On Board" ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Optical Audio OutPut Settings"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BY THE WAY, THE ABOVE DIAGRAMS ARE FROM VIZIO CORP

"Built Into The Vizio Co-Star" According To Vizio Co-Star Support This Setting Would Not Be On The Co-Star If It Did Not Work"

Some people actually think because they don't know about or have knowledge of a certain "thing" then it cannot work, be true or even exist, because they have no knowledge of it .... Some people actually limit their thinking to this kind of mentality (If I Don't Know About It, It Cannot Work) ...

Pay No Attention To The Man In The Above Picture, Behind The Curtain, Because He Is The Great And Power Oz ...

1.\ PCM

2. \ Dolby Digital

3.\ DTS

I just got of the phone with Vizio Co-Star support, minutes ago, sometimes in the near futures a support person from Vizio Co-Star will be coming here to this thread to further explain and verify that the above "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" works via the Co-Star ...

*After my discussion this morning with Vizio Co-Star support, their is a post on the Vudu Forum stating the 5.1 audio is not supported when playing a supported movie with 5.1 audio via the Co-Star, according to Co-Star support this is not TRUE, they have tested this already (Again Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain) .....

*Another thing Plex is not needed in order for this to work, Plex is just one way this will work ... Notice certain people are in this thread already telling you, according to their limited knowledge this does not work, but this discussion will be kept in a civil minor, their will be no arguments with anybody in this thread ...

After talking with Co-Star support I will have to make changing in the above OP, concerning the set up to make this work ...

We do not have debate if the Co-Star has a Optical Audio Output connection port ... Neither do we have debate can the Co-Star play PCM, Dolby, DTS or AC3 audio, but the Co-Star has great HDMI audio/ video pass through .....

Thanks to Plex for Google TV (Plex Is Not Needed, But It Can Be Used), a home TV with a "Optical Audio OutPut" to a AV receiver, we can play movies with/via "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" right from our Co-Star .... If you don't know the "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" are already on your Vizio Co-Star built in on board ..

If you want the "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" to work via the Co-Star, you must have HDMI 1.4 cables on your Co-Star, this will not work with HDMI 1.3 cables ...

*Audio Return channel allowing audio from an HDMI 1.4 TV

HDMI CABLES:

USE HDMI CABLES 1.4 ONLY WITH YOUR NEW VIZIO CO-STAR AND (CAT #6) ETHERNET CABLES ONLY*(Save Yourself A Lot Of headaches)

"You can think of HDMI 1.4 as the successor to 1.3. Specifically, it adds 4 new features to your HDMI connection "

1.\ Higher resolution capabilities (allowing for Ultra High Definition 4K x 2K which is about 6x the resolution of 1080p)

2.\ Support for 3D video at 1080p with compatible Blu-Ray Players, Set-top Boxes, PCs and TVs ...

3.\ *Audio Return channel allowing audio from an HDMI 1.4 TV to be "passed back to the receiver though the HDMI cable, rather than having to run a separate audio cable to the TV" (According To Vizio Co-Star Support This Is What Makes Everything Works And Why No Optical Output Port Is Needed By The Co-Star) ...

(Yes, HDMI 1.4 cables can carry (PCM, AC3, Dolby Digital and DTS Pass Through) Please No Argument, No Debate ...!

*Please Note: A optical digital cable is required between the TV and your digital A/V receiver ...

4.\ Ethernet link channel allowing all of your HDMI 1.4 devices to connect to the Internet though an existing HDMI cable provided that just one of your 1.4 devices is connected to the Internet via Ethernet or WiFi .....

The photos are from the Co-Star, I keep telling people the Co-Stars's v4.6.0 Google TV 3 update is far superior to the NSZGS7 REL07 update ...

The top photo is from the Vudu app on the Co-Star ....

To access the bottom photo "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" on your Vizio Co-Star, go down to the Widget app on your Co-Star, open it, and open the Add Widget side .... Next click on the "Menu" button on your remote, located on the right hand side of the "V" button ....

Scroll down, click on "Settings" .... Scroll down again, click on "Picture & Sound", scroll down to the Sound area, just below the Volume, Sound effect, Notification sounds and you will see "Optical audio output" settings, click on it, you will see the info in the above bottom photo ....

PCM, Dolby, DTS or AC3 audio will work with the Co-Star, if you have the correct/right audio equipment with (Select Optical Output Encoding) ... You will now be able to play your movies with/in PCM, Dolby, DTS or AC3 audio .....(l0l):cool:

Here are the instructions "Optical Audio Output" for PCM, Dolby and DTS audio to work .....!

Via optical out from the TV to your AV receiver, speakers connected.

1. open Picture & Sound as described above.

2. Select Optical Audio Output under Sound.

3. Pick Dolby or DTS (it seems that PCM also works).

4. (Using The Plex App For Google TV) Open Plex and under advanced settings, disable AC3 "(This Is Basically The Optical Audio Output Workaround)" the disable AC3 setting.

This is the basic procedure how it works and from optical out via your TV to your AV receiver (Speakers Connected), you will select optical output encoding ... Play your movie with PCM, Dolby, DTS or AC3 audio ....

They are lot of guys, that's suppose to be in the know, when it comes to Google TV Set Top boxes, they will dispute/debate/argue, that the Co-Star can actually do this (They Will Say The Co-Star Has No Optical OutPut), no arguements with anybody, but this works 1000% ...

This is the reason these settings are in the Vizio Co-Star ....

How to test the new Vudu & Amazon Apps Surround Sound (7.1/5.1DD+ & 5.1DD) on your Vizio Co-Star set-top box with Google TV 3 update?

Assuming your setup as in Figure (5) or Figure (3)

Co-Star > HDMI > AV Receiver > TV

or,

STB > HDMI > Co-Star > HDMI > AV Receiver > HDMI > TV

Also, (for Vudu app) you have an AV Receiver capable of decoding Dolby Digital Plus (DD+).

Note: if Netflix app on your Co-star produces true 5.1 surround sound (& your AV Receiver displays "3/2/0.1 Dolby+" or "Dolby Digital+") then Vudu app should do the same.

Vudu app test :
    ---------------------
    You don't have to have a Vudu account to test this, btw.
    Just launch Vudu app, Select [browse] and stream 2 Min Preview.

Try the following 3 titles from Vudu app:
    1. "Pirates of the Caribbean": On Strange Tides
    Select [browse] > search for the title "The Hobbit" > select 2 Min Preview > select HDX > try it.

* This title is encoded in 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus (7.1DD+).
    * Your AV Receiver should display > "4/3/0.1 Dolby+" or "3/2/0.1 Dolby+" or "Dolby Digital+" (where "+" indicates "Plus").

2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Select [browse] > search for the title "The Hobbit" > select 2 Min Preview > select HDX > try it.

* This title is encoded in 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus (5.1DD+).
    * Your AV Receiver should display "3/2/0.1 Dolby+" or "Dolby Digital+" (where "+" indicates "Plus").

3. "Punsher: War Zone",
    Select [browse] > search for the title "Punsher" > select 2 Min Preview > select HDX > try it.

* This title is encoded in 5.1 Dolby Digital (5.1DD).
    * Your AV Receiver should display "3/2/0.1 Dolby" or "Dolby Digital" (no "+"indicates legacy).

Amazon app test:
    ------------------------
    Try the following titles from Amazon app:
    "Into the Wild" title:
    Launch Amazon app > search for the title "Into the Wild" > select [Watch trailer]

Note: this title is encoded in 5.1 Dolby Digital (5.1DD).
    * Your AV Receiver should display "3/2/0.1 Dolby" or "Dolby Digital" (no "+"indicates legacy).

-------------

On a un/related side note,

link .

FYI,

* "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) is one of "HDMI 1.4 specification" features. It basically eliminates the use of a separate digital audio (optical or coaxial) cable to send audio signal from a TV to an AV Receiver (AVR).

* Both the TV and the AV Receiver must support "ARC" (currently not all do).

* Mostly, "Arc" is to pass audio signal from the TV's internal tuner (or Smart Apps) to the AV Receiver.
    However, "ARC" may pass audio signals coming from an external device connected directly to the TV's (hdmi/ARC) port (over HDMI cable) to the AV Receiver. But in most cases not without (TVs) firmware limitations preventing surround sound, such as:
    • TV may downmix 5.1 audio (that is coming from an external device) to only Stereo (2ch PCM) audio, before it passes it to the AV Receiver.
    • TV may not pass HD Audio/HF Audio (e.g., DTS-MA, True-HD, Dolby Digital Plus (DD+).
    * Digital Optical Audio cable does not carry HD Audio/HF Audio signals (e.g., DTS-MA, True-HD, Dolby Digital Plus (DD+).

In short, if you connect your Google TV box directly to the TV, Netflix app will only be available in stereo sound (not surround sound).

Unless, your connection as in "Figure (1)" and your Google TV box is capable of transcode Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) to either 5.1DD or 5.1PCM then passes the audio signal to the AV Receiver over an Optical cable. ( see; Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GT1 & Revue).

hope this helps [​IMG]

Thanks to Revue5

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You are right about several things. First, we do not need to debate whether or not the Vizio Co-Star has optical audio out. It does not, no reason for debate. Second, we do not need to debate whether or not the Co-Star can handle DTS audio. It can not, no reason for debate. Third, the picture you show is of a Vudu network speed test and you say it is from a Vizio Co-Star, I accept that is the truth. That is about where the major points of agreement will end. I also know with absolute certainty a Vudu network speed test has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not any given device can handle various audio codecs.

Personally, as far as I know, I have never owned a display that will take an HDMI input and pass DTS audio out through the optical audio output. I believe that would require DTS licensing for DTS pass through and no mainstream company will do that without paying the license fee. I think several people here will agree with me, even if you do have a display that will take an HDMI input and output audio from that source over optical audio output because you want optical audio from your Google TV box input to your AV receiver, a better solution is to just use a Google TV box with optical audio output in the first place and connect that directly to your AV receiver.

The discussion in this thread has its origins in another thread where I asked you if the Vizio Co-Star can play Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus from Vudu. You didn't ever give me an answer but someone else found the answer, the answer is no. Are you claiming you can overcome this limitation by using other equipment and software, a display with HDMI>optical audio pass through, Plex Google TV app, and apparently a computer running a Plex server? There is one big non starter before your explanation about how this could be possible. Dolby Digital Plus can not be handled by optical audio to an AV receiver, Dolby Digital Plus and various other advanced audio codecs require greater bandwidth than optical audio provides but if this set up can handle the legacy Dolby Digital from Vudu, I would like to understand how that is possible.

Please in detail provide how to set up handling Dolby Digital from Vudu over optical audio with the Vizio Co-Star.

• Like Like x 10
  3. googlethis

googlethis New Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. amartin

amartin New Member

If you turn off the ac3 settings from Plex, then run a movie through the Plex app, the sound is converted to pcm before it gets to the Co Star. Are you claiming now that the co star will then re-encode the audio back into dolby digital?

5. ChrisG8

Do you know how to bring up the Co-Star audio option showing optical audio and DTS as choices? I don't know what he is saying personally although I asked in the first thread he made these claims and now have asked again here trying to understand. I am pretty sure none of what he is saying has anything whatsoever to do with handling Dolby Digital audio from Vudu, the question I asked when he first responded with these pictures.

6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

"Optical Audio OutPut Settings"

"Built Into The Vizio Co-Star" According To Vizio Co-Star Support This Setting Would Not Be On The Co-Star If It Did Not Work"

Some people actually think because they don't know about or have knowledge of a certain "thing" then it cannot work, be true or even exist, because they have no knowledge of it .... Some people actually limit their thinking to this kind of mentality (If I Don't Know About It, It Cannot Work) ...

Pay No Attention To The Man In The Above Picture, Behind The Curtain, Because He Is The Great And Power Oz ...

1.\ PCM

2. \ Dolby Digital

3.\ DTS

I just got of the phone with Vizio Co-Star support, minutes ago, sometimes in the near futures a support person from Vizio Co-Star will be coming here to this thread to further explain and verify that the above "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" works via the Co-Star ...

*After my discussion this morning with Vizio Co-Star support, their is a post on the Vudu Forum stating the 5.1 audio is not supported when playing a supported movie with 5.1 audio via the Co-Star, according to Co-Star support this is not TRUE, they have tested this already (Again Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain) .....

*Another thing Plex is not needed in order for this to work, Plex is just one way this will work ... Notice certain people are in this thread already telling you, according to their limited knowledge this does not work, but this discussion will be kept in a civil minor, their will be no arguments with anybody in this thread ...

After talking with Co-Star support I will have to make changing in the above OP, concerning the set up to make this work ...

New Instructions

If you want the "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" to work via the Co-Star, you must have HDMI 1.4 cables on your Co-Star, this will not work with HDMI 1.3 cables ...

*Audio Return channel allowing audio from an HDMI 1.4 TV

HDMI CABLES:

USE HDMI CABLES 1.4 ONLY WITH YOUR NEW VIZIO CO-STAR AND (CAT #6) ETHERNET CABLES ONLY*(Save Yourself A Lot Of headaches)

"You can think of HDMI 1.4 as the successor to 1.3. Specifically, it adds 4 new features to your HDMI connection "

1.\ Higher resolution capabilities (allowing for Ultra High Definition 4K x 2K which is about 6x the resolution of 1080p)

2.\ Support for 3D video at 1080p with compatible Blu-Ray Players, Set-top Boxes, PCs and TVs ...

3.\ *Audio Return channel allowing audio from an HDMI 1.4 TV to be "passed back to the receiver though the HDMI cable, rather than having to run a separate audio cable to the TV" (According To Vizio Co-Star Support This Is What Makes Everything Works And Why No Optical Output Port Is Needed By The Co-Star) ...

(Yes, HDMI 1.4 cables can carry (PCM, AC3, Dolby Digital and DTS Pass Through) Please No Argument, No Debate ...!

*Please Note: A optical digital cable is required between the TV and your digital A/V receiver ...

4.\ Ethernet link channel allowing all of your HDMI 1.4 devices to connect to the Internet though an existing HDMI cable provided that just one of your 1.4 devices is connected to the Internet via Ethernet or WiFi .....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  7. ChrisG8

I will look forward to seeing Vizio support explain how audio via HDMI to display and optical audio out form the display works and how that can have anything to do with getting the Vizio Co-Star to handle Dolby Digital when using Vudu. As I stated, optical can not handle Dolby Digital Plus, at least not with any equipment I have ever owned. If the only Vizio Co-Star users that can use Dolby Digital are the ones that run HDMI from the Co-Star to the display rather than to the AVR and also have a display that can take audio input over HDMI and output over optical, it is going to be a very small percentage of users that can do it would be my guess. Here are the requirement for Dolby Digital Plus HDMI 1.3 or above, not optical audio although it can be converted to Dolby Digital and processed over optical.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus.html

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. amartin

amartin New Member

Honestly, you don't have to be such a d**k about things. You're mixing up two issues.

What you're saying is that to get around having an optical output from the co star you can buy a tv with optical output. If you don't want to buy a TV, a less costly way would be to just buy a receiver which takes in hdmi and decodes it.

The co star still doesn't decode the dts/dd. If you have local files or a server, you need to use a computer running Plex to downrez the audio to pcm first.

9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

No debate, No argument, some of the things you said in your above statement are simply not true ... Vizio Co-Support will be coming to this thread to explain things further concerning the "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" On the Vizio Co-Star ...

Chris8, baby don't waste your time, because you did not read what I just posted above correctly ... Like I have said, we will not have any arguments in this thread, not one ...!

10. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Unless the TV supports DD5.1 over hdmi this is not going to work, I have confirmed this in my own tests with my LG G2(which does not support DD in over hdmi, but will decode AC3/and DTS direct) The optical out settings are present in the vizio i suspect simply because the marvel armada 1500 supports it, in fact this chip was designed for use in TV's, and even supports 4 hdmi inputs, I would be willing to bet one could take apart the costar and pipe in a spdif out off the chip direct, or even a an optical out. vizio opted to leave most of these feature out to cut costs, in fact once my warranty is expired I intend on looking into this option.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

You are the only one here making sense, basically you are saying same thing as Vizio Co-Star support said this morning, that you need a TV with the optical digital output port, also you would need the optical digital cable running to your A/V receiver ... Thanks for your input ...

12. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

So to make your $99 box do what other boxes can do... you just need to invest in a new $1000 TV.... (and as Chris pointed out, many/most/? TV's will NOT output multi-ch audio on their digital audio out).

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have two giant screens 55 inch TVs with the optical audio output and paid way less than a $1000.00 for each one two years ago ....(l0l)

14. ChrisG8

What make and model numbers?

15. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Well I am glad you think I am making sense, however just because a tv has optical out does not mean this is going to work, the tv MUST support DD5.1 in over the HDMI and be capable of passing that thru to optical which I would venture a guess that at least 90% of the TV's on the market will not do, the costar will not support DTS, Vizio never said it would and I doubt it ever will, not because the hardware is not capable but because a license was not purchased by Vizio.

The changing of the Optical Audio out settings, which are in my opinion only available via a glitch in the firmware, do not make ANY changes to the audio out of the HDMI port. The settings dialog you reference is what appears to be the stock GTV settings dialog, its identical to the main settings on my LG GTV, and considering its as buried as it is by vizio, I am sure it has no impact on the function of the unit(optical audio out settings, picture settings i believe work) I am begging for someone to prove me wrong with a video, as nothing would make me happier to see this stuff supported on the costar. I just don't want to see people getting confused trying to make this work, then coming here and complaining. I would like to think we are ALL here to try and help others experience GTV in a positive light and help bring GTV to the masses.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I know one thing now, Vizio Co-Star Corp would not have the "Optical Audo Output Settings" on the Vizio Co-Star if it did not work ...

Another thing, the tech support person I talked to this morning, he has the "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" set up on his home system ... This is the reason why he was so knowledgeable about this subject and playing Vudu supported 5.1 audio movies via the Co-Star ... By the way, my TVs DD5.1 ready, good to go ...!

17. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Well considering the convoluted steps one must take to access that setting tells me it is in effect "hidden" by vizio, if it was meant to be accessed wouldn't they have it in their settings dialog? There is not much more I can say, not going to try and convince you, I just want other readers to understand they may encounter problems when following these directions.

18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to access the "Optical Audio Output Settings", it's very easy, plus I'm going to redo post # 1 ...

To access the "Optical Audio OutPut Settings" on your Vizio Co-Star, go down to the Widget app on your Co-Star, open it, and open the Add Widget side .... Next click on the "Menu" button on your remote, located on the right hand side of the "V" button ....

Scroll down, click on "Settings" .... Scroll down again, click on "Picture & Sound", scroll down to the Sound area, just below the Volume, Sound effect, Notification sounds and you will see "Optical audio output" settings, click on it, you will see the info in the above bottom photo ....

PCM, Dolby, DTS or AC3 audio will work with the Co-Star, if you have the correct/right audio equipment with (Select Optical Output Encoding) ... You will now be able to play your movies with/in PCM, Dolby, DTS or AC3 audio .....(l0l):cool:

19. ChrisG8

So the Co-Star can tell that it is connected by HDMI>Optical by some conversion method as opposed to just knowing audio is being handled by HDMI, the only way to output audio? You are saying the Co-Star can play DTS audio by this method assuming you have a device in the chain that can convert HDMI>Optical that supports DTS, no computer required? Direct HDMI to an AVR with DTS decoding doesn't work, you must use the convoluted HDMI>Optical conversion which most people can do since that is a very rare device? If you are saying the audio processing is done by a computer running Plex, so what? The computer can do that without the Co-Star but the reverse wouldn't be true.

This same method works to handle Vudu Dolby Digital? I still have no idea what you are actually claiming.

20. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

ChrisG8, I'm sorry please wait for the Co-Star tech support to visit this thread and explain everything, thanks for you input ...