Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star OTA Ultimate v4.6.0 Google TV 3.0 OS, Super Upgrade *(Game Changer)

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Wisdom, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

*(PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE A NEW CO-STAR OWNER, AFTER YOU HAVE DONE THE INITIAL FIRMWARE UPDATES, v2.3.1, v3.5.0, v4.6.0 ....ECT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO A HARD RESET AND GO THROUGH THE START SCREEN SET UP ALL OVER AGAIN IN ORDER TO USE THE NEW v4.6.0 SET UP OPTIONS WITH YOUR NEW CO-STAR START SCREEN SET UP)

(THE USER MANUAL GUIDE WILL NOT GIVE YOU THIS INFO, SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF HEADACHES, DO A HARD RESET AFTER YOU INSTALL THE v4.6.0 UPDATE FIRMWARE, FOLLOW THE VERY SAME PAPERCLIP BOTTOM HOLE METHOD AS DESCRIBED ABOVE FOR RECOMMENED HARD RESETS) See Post # 1 GET STARTED SCREEN SECTION {"The Vizio CO-Star Bible"} http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-reviews-your-hands-experience.html ....

[​IMG]
    Originally Posted by LeadingMan
    I heard we're getting the Co-Star update tonight - did you hear anything?

The new ultimate Vizio Co-Star super Google TV 3.0 OS Upgrade has finally arrive with all the goodies, whiles and bells on board, truly the game changer for the Vizio Co-Star ....

Thanks to Evel for the above photo, as you can see the new Vizio Co-Star Super V4.6.0 Google TV3 OS Update Upgrade has begun rolling out to all Co-Star owners, just be *patient it will be coming to you very soon ....

[​IMG]

I must admit, one of the sweetest new features of the Vizio Co-Star v4.6.0 Google Tv 3 upscale upgrade is the "Google TV PrimeTime Quick Guide" .... You can scroll the "Quick Guide" across the bottom of your TV screen, even during viewing live TV, yeah sweet ....(l0l):cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, if other well known Internet streaming media players do NOT install the high end upscale (Pay-Per-View) movie service "Vudu", this may set the Vizio Co-Star apart as the best Internet streaming media player as far as the best media content ...

Along with several other high end movies services, that were also included in the new upscale v4.6.0 Google TV 3.0 upgrade .....

Another thing, that's not being mention is the new updated added machine like precision horse power of the new v4.6.0 Vizio Co-Star, compared to the old v3.5.0 Co-Star ...!

[​IMG]

The above photo displays some of the new added movie apps, that came with the new v4.6.0 upgrade .... Also the new "Voice Search" app, which brings up a message directing you to Google Play Store ....!
    How to fix Able Remote's compatibility issues with VIZIO Co-Star [video]

by Edgar Cervantes on February 6th, 2013

[​IMG]

Using your Google TV manufacturer's remote can be a pain. Some of these are simply not as great as we would hope they were, and that makes a huge difference in one's experience with a smart TV. This is why I choose to use Able Remote, a great alternative to those bulky, and many times inferior, TV remotes ...

In my
    Able Remote review I mention a specific problem this app has with the Vizio Co-Star. More specifically, an issue that any Google TV device without an IR blaster would have. Being one of them, the Vizio Co-Star can not control other devices like the cable box or TV - only the remote can. This makes it harder for the Able Remote app to control said companion devices ....

There is a way to fix it, though. You can make it so the remote stays active while not in use, then the Co-Star will send Able Remote's commands to the physical remote, which will then send the commands to the cable box, DVR or TV. The remote's power saving mode must be turned off in order to accomplish this, so keep in mind your remote's battery life should be compromised at least a bit ....
    Check out the tutorial video and let us know how this fix works for you! Have you been having issues with Able Remote not being able to control your cable box? If so, we hope you can now enjoy your fully-functional remote alternative .....!

[​IMG]

Since the new v4.6.0 upgrade, Tivo Premiere box set up for cord cutters OTA (Broadcast Digital TV Signals) set up has changed. *Good news, you can now add the sub channels to your *Favorites 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 ....ect

I integrated my Vizio Co-Stars with the Tivo Premiere *(For Cord Cutters Using OTA Digital TV Signals) by using the new v4.6.0 Co-Star update, *(Set Up Your Device)> *( DVR >*(Other Service Provider)> *(Broadcast Digital zip code)> *(Brand, type in Tivo)> *(Model, type in Premiere) and continue following the easy on screen instructions .... As far as the Co-Star remote is concern, it works better than I expected, almost 100% full function ....!

*(For Cord Cutters Using OTA Digital TV Signals), *they are other ways to do this without using the Tivo Premiere at a very low cost, http://www.amazon.com/Kworld-HDmi-E...0422590&sr=1-1&keywords=ota+tuner+hdmi+output !

Please Note: When searching for your local channels and you get a error message, just tap on (Back), retry until you get you local channels, (They Will Come In, See Photo Above), this may take several tries, so be patient ....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The NEW Just Released Vizio Co-Star v4.6.0 Ultimate Google TV 3.0 Super Update Upgrade will include a Prime Time Mini-Guide (an improved, more visual, programming browser formerly called Movies and TV), Voice Search (a remote app for compatible Android devices that enables voice control of Google TV search functions), and YouTube Pairing (allows you organize YouTube videos on either an Android or iPhone and synch your list with the Vizio Co-Star ... Plus a host of movie apps ....!

Also, you will finally be able to use M-GO button on the Vizio Co-Star remote as that app will become active. M-GO is a new pay-per-view digital video rental service that provides an easy navigation interface (Actually You Can Do This Now, Just Install The M-Go App) ......

Additional updates include the inclusion of
    Vudu, as well as a new interface for Amazon Instant Video ......
    These (and more) updates will be available for download in the coming weeks. If you own a Vizio Co-Star, to find out if the updates are available, just go the System Settings Menu and click on System Update ....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. bdcfam

bdcfam New Member

Just received the update how do I get the voice control to work

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

I believe their is a new Voice Commenad remote app coming very soon to the Google Play Store, that will give us full access via our Android smartphones/tablets to search via voice commands, now I could be wrong too ...(l0l):cool:

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[h=2]How to fix Able Remote's compatibility issues with VIZIO Co-Star [VIDEO][/h]by Edgar Cervantes on February 6th, 2013

[​IMG]

Using your Google TV manufacturer's remote can be a pain. Some of these are simply not as great as we would hope they were, and that makes a huge difference in one's experience with a smart TV. This is why I choose to use Able Remote, a great alternative to those bulky, and many times inferior, TV remotes ...

In my Able Remote review I mention a specific problem this app has with the Vizio Co-Star. More specifically, an issue that any Google TV device without an IR blaster would have. Being one of them, the Vizio Co-Star can not control other devices like the cable box or TV - only the remote can. This makes it harder for the Able Remote app to control said companion devices ....

There is a way to fix it, though. You can make it so the remote stays active while not in use, then the Co-Star will send Able Remote's commands to the physical remote, which will then send the commands to the cable box, DVR or TV. The remote's power saving mode must be turned off in order to accomplish this, so keep in mind your remote's battery life should be compromised at least a bit ....
    Check out the tutorial video and let us know how this fix works for you! Have you been having issues with Able Remote not being able to control your cable box? If so, we hope you can now enjoy your fully-functional remote alternative .....!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  6. kingzope

kingzope New Member

Did this update enable AC3 audio natively?

• Like Like x 2
  7. bongohawk

bongohawk New Member

Is anyone else having issues with this new update of the "TV input" being black when I first turn on my TV and Cable box? My setup of HDMI goes Costar > Cable Box > Yamaha Receiver > to TV. Before this update it worked, but since the update I can hear what is on but nothing is displayed. If I unplug the HDMI cable on the Costar and plug it back in, then the Screen will reappear. I also discovered if I power it down and then power it back up then it will display correctly. Any ideas of what I might be able to change either on the Costar or my Yamaha receiver?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Set your cable box screen resolution exactly like you see in the above photo, you should have HDMI 1.4 cables, make sure all HDMI cables are plugged in correctly ...

9. bongohawk

bongohawk New Member

I have Verizon Fios and the only option is to select which Display format and I set it to 1080i, and then set the Costar to 1080i as well, instead of Auto. I powered everything back down and powered it back on and it still gives me a black screen with audio.

Hmmm. Any other ideas?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The Co-Star should always be set to "Auto", set the cable box display to 1080i, just like you see in the above photo, and power cycle your Co-Star ...

11. chopper

chopper Active Member

Did the upgrade add codecs that were not prev. supported?

• Like Like x 2
  12. bongohawk

bongohawk New Member

I found the service menu and set to pretty much the same way of your picture. That didn't seem to make a difference. I notice if I power off and on my Yamaha receiver with HDMI pass through the screen goes black and there is audio. This all worked prior to the update last night. I wonder if there is a setting on my Yamaha that I am missing from HDMI?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

This time try reversing your HDMI cable ends, it's a pass through problem, it can also be faulty HDMI cables too ....

14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Chopper have have not done any real testing of the new upgrade yet, but I will be getting around to test different codecs very soon ....

• Like Like x 2
  15. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

As Wisdom said below, set Co-Star to Auto. Is there a 1080p option on your FIOS, if so can you use that rather than 1080i?

• Like Like x 2
  16. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

Also, shouldn't the flow be Cable Box->Co-Star->AVR->TV?

• Like Like x 2
  17. bongohawk

bongohawk New Member

Well I found in the FIOS service menu and option for 1080p 24fs and 1080p 30fs, so I checked both those and the video settings now list as Native, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I even tried another HDMI cable and that didn't fix anything.

What I have found if i unplug the HDMI cable on the back of the Costar that goes the cable box and then plug it back in, it will display. Something weird is going on with the handshake. Again, I never had this problem prior to last nights update.

I will keep messing around with it and I really do appreciate everyones help. If you guys can think of any other things to try, let me know.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bongohawk

bongohawk New Member

You are correct. I was just looking at my physical setup and my Costar is literally sitting above my Cable box.

• Like Like x 2
  19. bdcfam

bdcfam New Member

[​IMG] Jacob: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class customer support and all of our support is U.S. based, and I can assist you with that.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Since the Costar is a second generation GTV device there is no Microphone on the the Costar to use Voice Control.

Google will soon be updating their GTV remote application for Android Phones and Tablets (Possibly Apple devices also) to support the new update and bring Voice Control to devices without a Microphone.

• Like Like x 2
  20. bongohawk

bongohawk New Member

Well I have an update. After all of the tinkering I finally got it working although something with the HDMI handshake has changed, but that is now a separate issue. I forgot to mention that I have a Harmony remote that turns on ALL of my devices. Well since I have had the CoStar I learned to just leave it on and not worry about powering it off because it would either lock up or act weird. Plus, I didn't want my wife to bug me every time she went to turn TV on and the CoStar wasn't powering up properly. Anyways, I found that someone or maybe it was Harmony themselves updated the CoStar remote codes so the IR command would work and now I have it set to turn off the Costar when I am powering off everything and then turn on the Costar when I power up to "Watch TV". For some reason, the Harmony remote settings for the old firmware didn't support the correct Costar IR commands and I think the new update may have fixed that.

Just wanted to give you all an update and thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and tricks to try and get this working again.