Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star: How To Watch Hulu Plus On Google TV Using Plex

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Wisdom, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Official Request To "GTV-Issues" For Flash 11 - (Please Vote)
    Hi all. I made an official request for Flash 11 on GTV devices - at the "GTV Issues" web page for GTV code developers. Please go to that page (see link below) and click to "star" that feature request. The stars are in the column on the left side. Just click on the star. The request for Flash 11 is item #87. This is something that will improve GTV for everybody. Thank you: A CATFISHRIVERS PROJECT ...!

Issues - googletv-issues - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

How to watch Hulu Plus on Google TV using Plex

by Tyler Cunningham

[​IMG]
    Last week we asked a question that is surely on the minds of many Google TV users: will Hulu Plus ever make it to Google TV? While there is no foreseeable timeframe for when we may see an answer, there is a way you can watch Hulu Plus on your Google TV using only your computer and a $0.99 app[​IMG] in the Google Play store. With the Plex Media Server and the Plex Google TV app, you can watch Hulu Plus on any Google TV device. Continue reading to learn how ......

Plex is a cross-platform media server application that you install on your desktop or laptop computer and access on a variety of devices on
    your home[​IMG] network. To begin, go to the Plex download page and select your platform (Windows, Mac or Linux). You need to download and install both the Plex Media Center (the interface) and the Plex Media Server (the server) in order to access Hulu Plus on your Google TV .....

[​IMG]

Once both are installed, make sure the Plex Media Server is running and fire up the Plex Media Center application. From the menu on the left-hand side of the application navigate to Channel Directory. From there, you can easily find Hulu under the Most Popular channels ....

Simply highlight Hulu, press enter to bring up the available options, and press enter again to install. Once Hulu is installed, you will find it under the Video Channels option in the main menu ....

[​IMG]
    When you open the Hulu channel you will see a variety of options. Visit "preferences" and enter your Hulu email address and password so you will have access to your Hulu Plus subscription ....

The final step is to visit the Google Play store on your Google TV and purchase the Plex application. It isn't free, but for only 99 cents it's a bargain for the ability to watch Hulu Plus on Google TV ......

[​IMG]

When you fire up the Plex app you are greeted to the settings page. Before you connect to your media server and launch Hulu I highly recommend you go to the bottom of the settings and change the Remote Plex Media Server video quality setting ....

The higher you can set this, the better quality the picture will be. Once you've set your video quality, the final step is to launch the Hulu channel and start watching! (note: if you cannot see your media server listed in the app settings, make sure that both your computer and Google TV are connected to the same network) .....

Obviously a dedicated Hulu Plus app would be a lot more convenient for users. However, if you're itching to watch Hulu Plus on your Google TV this is by far the easiest and least expensive method I have come across. Also, stay tuned for a video version of this walkthrough .......

[​IMG]

In the above photo is what new latest updated Plex server for the PC looks like, so easy to use and getting to the Settings area is a piece of cake .....!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLEX GIVES YOU TOTAL ACCESS TO ALL THE MULTIMEDIA ON YOUR HOME NETWORK WITH DLNA ("YOU ARE THERE ONE TOUCH ACTION"), PLUS YOU HAVE MOBILE ACCESS TO ALL YOUR MULTIMEDIA FROM ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET ....!

First of all, everything (ALL THE APPS) that I am getting via Hulu Plus via Plex via my Vizio Co-Star is "FREE$$$", if I had to use Playon, I would be paying out $$$$ ... Makes dollars and sense to me, yeah ...!(lol)

You see in the top photo above how Hulu is in a neatly UI organized format for easy access to your favorites Hulu Plus Multimedia via your Vizio Co-Star ...

If you have never ever experience Hulu Plus via Plex, then you really cannot speak on which way is best for viewing Hulu Plus ... I had Playon for a long time, it's the pits for me, a lot of stuff don't even work using Playon ...!

I prefer viewing Hulu Plus via Plex, the advantages, all of my multimedia that's on my home network are really accessible via Plex, (With Built IN You are There With One Touch Access) .... I'm not even going to even talk about how sweet the mobile access to Hulu Plus via Plex truly is without a doubt ....

In other worlds, I don't have to jump through hoops to access my multimedia (See Above Photos) ...

[​IMG]

In the above photo is the (if you reside outside of the USA), that CatFishRivers was talking about in another thread, so CatFishRivers is right 100% ...!

Check out all the free channels you get with the Plex Server via the Vizio Co-Star via the Plex Google TV App in the above YouTube video clip ...

Published on Dec 21, 2012Plex FREE$ Channels Via The Vizio Co-Star, just think, you would have to pay to get these very same Internet TV channels if you were using Playon. Free$ via the Plex app using the Vizio Co-Star, works like a charm .....

[​IMG]Amazon Instant Video-Google TVAmazon Mobile LLC[​IMG]

Enjoy Amazon Instant Video on Google TV by downloading this free app. Amazo...
    [​IMG]Install

Official Request To "GTV-Issues" For Flash 11 - (Please Vote)
    Hi all. I made an official request for Flash 11 on GTV devices - at the "GTV Issues" web page for GTV code developers. Please go to that page (see link below) and click to "star" that feature request. The stars are in the column on the left side. Just click on the star. The request for Flash 11 is item #87. This is something that will improve GTV for everybody. Thank you: A CATFISHRIVERS PROJECT ...!

Issues - googletv-issues - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I haven't used Plex with Hulu or Hulu Plus but I assume Plex works for the free Hulu service as well as Hulu Plus. I have planned to try Plex but just never got around to it, currently I use PlayOn or direct viewing with a PC for Hulu. I think Hulu Plus is a great service and a good deal but I am happy with the free Hulu service so until something changes, either it disappears or requires a pay TV service subscription, I plan to only use Hulu. Now if a proper Hulu Plus app shows up with Google TV, I will probably subscribe.

3. seanwi

seanwi New Member

No hulu channel on the directory list !!!
    Any ideas?

4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

You have to go to the Plex server on your PC and add the plugins, it's there ... You will see so many plugins, even more than PlayOn, ALL FREE, no need to pay for Playon anymore ....

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I doubt seriously if Plex has more than PlayOn, not even close the last time I checked, the PlayOn community adds plugins almost daily it seems. Also, I haven't seen a DVR like PlayLater for use with Plex, I use PlayLater most of the time when I use a PC for streaming, I like skipping commercials. I did buy lifetime licenses for PlayOn/PlayLater, I think $35 total when I made the purchase ($100 less $65 Amazon giftcard). The deal was promoted to use the giftcard for Roku but I didn't want a Roku box so I used it for something I did want.

Here is one site with PlayOn scripts:

PlayOn Scripts :: Home :: PlayOn Scripts and PlayOn Plugins

Here is the PlayOn site with channels:

What Channels Can I Watch With PlayOn? | PlayOn

I couldn't come up with more than a fraction of the total I found at those sites and others when I looked at Plex.

6. seanwi

seanwi New Member

OK
    Now what?
    I installed the plex apps on my co star
    How does the plex on the co-star see the hulu which configure on my laptop?
    How to set and configure the "setting" menu on the plex apps on the co-star?

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Out of the office now, I will help you later ...

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Plex just came out with a new upgrade version a few days ago with a entire new UI and a lot more plugins than before with the new upgrade, like I said no need to pay for Playon anymore, why pay when you can get it FREE $$$$$ .... Plus Plex is $.99 at the Google Play Store ...!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

SETTING PLEX UP ON YOUR PC FOR THE FIEST TIME

Go to http://my.plexapp.com open an account (A Must Got To Do) .... On your PC right click on the Plex icon,(Plex Server) open "Media Manager" ....

First under "My Library" set up all your media content paths via the plus sign ... Next click on "Directory" and click on the "Channels" you want to add, now click on "install", you can also use the plus sign for adding channels later ... You will see everything that Playon has to offer and a lot, lots more ....

Next click "Manager to the right of My Library, Settings> at a "Friendly name" check out each setting to the right, if you make any chages click on save ... Make sure you are signed in to to Plex ...

Go here for addotional info Google TV - Plex Forums .....

10. seanwi

seanwi New Member

And what about the plex settings on the co-star side?
    What should i have to do there when i fire up the plex apps?

11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Set up everything just like it is in the above photo, just sign into your plex account settings and most of the settings are already preset, but go to "Advance Settings" unchecked mark "Enable DTS" ....

[​IMG] Originally Posted by yorT[​IMG]I'm not seeing Hulu show up in the channel list. I've searched for it and everything. Is it no longer supported?

***It's still supported, open the Plex server on your PC/Laptop, click on "Directory", you will see a screen that say "Channel,Directory", click on "More" .... Now click on "All Available Plug-ins", just click on the channels you want to add, you will see Hulu there .....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  12. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Can you tell me where i can find the DTS setup?
    I can't see it

• Like Like x 2
  13. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Are those setup shown on the server side?
    or on the co-star side?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

They are on the Co-Star .... Open "Adavance Settings", there you will find the "DTS" setting ...

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Do you have the Plex server set up on your router via "Port Forwarding" ... You can save yourself a lot of connection headaches by setting up the Plex server via "Port Forwarding" on your router ...

[​IMG]

Do you have the Android smartphone/tablet Plex app ...? The Plex smartphone/tablet app is just super sweet, you can watch your digital copied movies/Plex TV channels from anywhere on the planet, where you can get a Internet connection, it works like the SlingBox ...(lol)

*By the way, did you know that Plex on your smartphone/tablet can communicate with the Co-Star via DLNA via PlayPoint, it will be listed on your handheld mobile device as (VAP-430) ... DLNA must be checked marked in the Plex server are on your PC (enable) via the Plex Server ....

16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

In the above photo is what the new latest updated Plex server for the PC looks like, so easy to use and getting to the Settings area is a piece of cake .....!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  17. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Wisdom,
    having used both plex and playon , I usally recommend playon to new google tv users that want access to hulu. I have recommended plex as well to people and do not want to count how many times I have helped people set plex up.

The most important step is making sure to create a https://my.plexapp.com/ account and then making sure when the person installs plex media server on their computer or nas that they sign in to the plex media server before opening up the google tv plex media center and publish their server.

Doing that one step is what messes up a lot of folks and gives them trouble if they do not do it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

First of all, I don't understand really where you are coming from guy, I am not recommending Plex to anyone .... All I'm saying you can access and play Hulu Plus via your Co-Star ...!

Now one thing I'm also 100% sure about Plex, you cannot access Plex via your Co-Star to your Plex server on your PC/Laptop and play movies/TV without signing first into your Plex account .... If their is another ways to do this, then I'm not aware of it .....(lol)

How can you sign into your Plex server on your PC/Laptop or on the Co-Star without a Plex account ...?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  19. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

lol)

I am not sure about how the costar worked but when I first set up plex for my computer, i did not create a my.plex account. In other words I just let the plex media server run on my computer and installed the google tv plex app and clicked find nearby servers on the google tv app and it did all the stuff without needing to make a my.plex account .

The only reason I ended up finally creating a my.plex account was so I could use the plexit! bookmarklet to send online videos to the plex queue when signed in to the plex account.

In other words it found my server due to being on the same network as my google tv when I selected search for nearby servers the first time without creating a my.plex account.

Sorry if I came off wrong as I was not trying to say you were recommending plex to anyone , I was just pointing out a step a lot of new plex users miss when they first try installing and using plex as I recommend plex and playon to anyone that wants to watch hulu with a google tv. Go back in my past messages and you'll see I used to help alot of people with plex problems before this thread was created.

I am glad you made this thread and was only trying to point out some of the problems that arise if the steps are not followed.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have the new just released Plex server running on my PCs/Laptops, If I'm not logged into the Plex server on my PC/Laptops and Plex on my Co-Star, the whole set up is useless ... I cannot connect to the server nor play any media content from my PCs or other my other media content devices on my home network ... All I'm saying is I had to create a Plex account before I could run Plex real smooth ....

• Like Like x 2