Quantcast

VIZIO Co-Star - GTV set-top box

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by revue5, Jun 28, 2012.

1. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    VIZIO Video ​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

VIZIO Co-Star - Specs - see below.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

From what I could gather so far from Vizio Co-Star,

(edit in-progress....)

Key differencesVIZIO Co-StarLogitech Revue
    ProcessorDual-core Marvell 1.2Ghz
    (Specs officially not released yet)
    Single-core Intel Atom 1.2GHz
    Memory1GB RAM + 4GB Flash
    (Specs officially not released yet)
    1GB

A universal remote control
    with Trackpad, QWERTY keyboard
    & Game controls (Bluetooth)

SupportedKeyboard Controller
    (Logitech Wireless Unifying)
    Remote control Voice commandNOTNOT
    Remote IP commands (currently for Dish only)SupportedNOT
    Built-in IR Blaster

In-Remote IR Blaster

External IR Blaster Port
    (In-Remote)

Supported

NOT
    Supported

NOT

Harmony IR Remote (IR URC)UnknownSupported
    24p True CinemaNOTNOT
    3D StreamingSupportedSupported

M-Go (new streaming service)

OnLive (cloud streaming game service)

Netflix

Amazon

VUDU
    Supported (update)

Supported

Supported (native App)

Supported (web App)

NOT
    NOT

NOT

Supported (native App)

Supported (web App)

NOT

Power Off / Stand-by

Auto Power Off (Auto Stand-by)

Quick Power "On" (Quick Start)

Energy Star Compliant
    Supported

Unknown

Unknown

Yes
    ON (always)

NOT

Supported (always ON)

NOT
    Power consumptionUnknown13W (in operation)
    12W (Idle)

CPU CoolingFan-less (heat-sink)Fan

HDMI-CECSupportedNOT

Video Noise ReductionSupported
    NOT
    IP Content Noise ReductionNOTNOT
    Individual Speaker SettingNOTNOT
    Multiple Language DisplayNOTNOT
    Audio Lip-SyncSupportedNOT
    Parental ControlSupportedNOT

Dolby Digital Plus bit-streamSupportedNOT
    Dolby down-mix to 2ch LPCMSupportedNOT
    Dolby Digital bit-streamUnknownVia Optical Only

Optical-out Port (Audio-out)NOTSupported
    USB Port12

Headphones (Bluetooth)SupportedNOT
    OnLive Gaming ControllerOptionalNOT

Instruction Manual (pdf)YesOn-line help
    Updates / Current FirmwareICS (likely) / 3.2ICS (not expected) /3.2

MPEG-2NOTNOT
    DTSNOTNOT

Supported Video formatSee this linkSee this link
    Supported Media - MusicSee this linkSee this link

(edit in-progress....)

Note: Please consider this comparison list obsolete if its not updated within a reasonable time frame.

Sony NSZ-GS7 Vs Logitech Revue - click here...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Any information about an optional full size keyboard that will be available with the Vizio Co-Star?

If not could a Revue keyboard be paired to work with the Co-Star?

I also read that the USB port will support keyboards, mice, etc. However if one just uses a standard keyboard w trackpad attached to the USB port - then wouldn't it have limited functionality? (This is because the controller that comes with the Co-Star has some unique dedicated GTV command keys & functions).

I am interested in purchasing a Co-Star - the only thing that would hold me back is the controller with the tiny keys. I love the keyboard that came with the Logitech Revue. Any suggestions?

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I could not find any information on an optional fullsize keyboard for the Vizio Co-Star. It appears to me this box is considerably stripped down compared to the Revue, we knew Logitech lost a lot with each unit sold at $100 and I was certain a $100 Google TV box would require some real cost cutting. I am sure the Vizio could handle the Logitech K700 Revue Keyboard but only if the unifying software is adapted to work with the box, I don't think there is anyway now and there may never be it is too early to know much in that regard. It does have an optional game controller and it looks to me like this Vizio model will appeal to a consumer wanting internet streaming services and OnLive gaming. For those of us wanting to use Google TV for web browsing, forum participation, email, etc., this sure doesn't look like a good replacement for the Revue to me. It also is not likely going to be well suited for the consumer with local files on hard drives needing playback of a wide variety of file types.

Still being able to offer this product for $100 is quite an accomplishment and I am expecting it to be a success, I just don't expect it to be anything I will buy.

6. CatfishRivers

Well this is certainly not an optimum solution - but what I might consider doing is adding a lightweight wireless keyboard with trackpad through the Co-Star USB port for basic web-surfing & typing functions - while keeping the original controller near-by if needed for dedicated GTV command functions. It will be kind of a hassle switching controllers/keyboard to pull up my GTV bookmarks for instance - but this is the only solution I can think of for now.

7. ChrisG8

I think there is going to be a full featured Google TV Bluetooth keyboard, maybe even from Logitech, that will work with this box and the Sony box. It might even show up quickly so I would wait before accepting a less than optimum solution in that regard.

8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Also, I think if you planning to control your TV, AVR or Cable/Sat and change input, volume or turn On/Off, then you'll to need use the original remote because the way Co-Star controls those components is different than the way Revue and Sony boxes controls them.

A two-way command communication via RF is activated between the remote and the box whenever any key to control another component (for example the TV) is pushed on the remote then the remote (not the box) transmits IR commands (from its built-in IR blaster) to the TV.

In short, the IR blaster is built into the remote not into the box. So, the user will need to keep the remote within sight facing the HTS when in-use to control other components (at lease that's what looks like, I could be wrong).

Not sure if that would affect the way you planning to use it or not. From your comment you mentioned GTV commands but that's a different scenario anyway since those commands are transmitted from the remote to the box via RF and they don't require the IR blaster.

Some reviews mentioned that future updates may support IP commands via HDMI & the IP commands option is currently supported to control Dish only.

Btw, if you looking for a keyboard to work & perform absolutely perfect like Revue's Keyboard, research high-power proprietary RF dongle/keyboard (w/ antenna) and high-power proprietary bluetooth dongle/keyboard (w/ antenna) and if any would work with the Co-Star.

Congrats in advance

Interesting.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, this article states that the Vizio box has a USB port for connecting keyboards. It didn't specifically state that Vizio has an an optional-purchase, full keyboard for GoogleTV use, available, but it could. Maybe the reason the reason why the Vizio box is only $99 is that a full, Vizio GoogleTV keyboard is extra.

Also, this article mentions that the Vizio box supports HTML5. Anyone care to comment on this, with regard to "Vizio box v. the Revue."?

Vizio Reveals Google TV Box Plans - 2012-06-26 19:20:40 | TWICE

10. CatfishRivers

I would imagine that HTML5 support would currently be the same as the Revue. When browsing in the Chrome browser HTML5 support is a function of the capability of the web browser. GTV currently has some HTML5 support (for various formats) - but not full HTML5 support.

Here is a link to a web site that will give detailed information and a score for your browser's HTML5 capability:

http://html5test.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Eventually the Vizio Co-Star GTV box will have better HTML5 functionality compared to the Revue - this is because the Revue is near the end of the line as far as support for major updates.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  11. Travel

Travel Active Member

Reminds me of the MSNTV2 box, which I still have hooked-up, as well as the Revue.

I was under the impression that GoogleTV, itself, could provide updates independently of Logitech, just through GoogleTV software adjustments compatible with the Revue chrome version. No?

Thanks for the link. I'll check that.

12. CatfishRivers

Yes I think for things such as the YouTube app and the TV & Movies app - they can be updated by Google. But other things such as operating system update (which includes the Flash version and Chrome browser version) are done through Logitech.

By the way YouTube has an HTML5 beta trial that anyone can opt into. The YouTube HTML5 web page says my Revue can play HTML5 videos with "video tag" and h.264 but not WebM. Also the videos with advertisements will not play in HTML5 but rather revert to Flash version. I tried it and it works pretty good:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

13. rdb4133

rdb4133 New Member

Preorders are up! :)

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

A good possibility – I’ll find out for sure once I get my hands on it – for now looks like it’ll be a while.

Hopefully their claim (from specs) for the box to support a universal IR remote control is right on (even if for only the basic commands & the IR codes are available somewhere - like GTV IR codes).

15. MO1991

MO1991 New Member

About the Co-Star, I say it is the cutest Google TV device I ever seen, due to being the tiniest of the Google TV devices. One complaint: This thing only supports 3 video formats: H.264, MP4, MKV. What, no compatability with AVI, WMV, MPG, and such?

16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Co-Star Q&A

Congrats, on your new Co-Star [​IMG]

Would any of you please help answer some of these questions? and if anyone has a question or a tip, please post it.

Apps:

• How many app under "M-Go"?
    • How many native app?

Remote:
    link .

• Does the unit have a remote-pair button? Beside the factory-reset button on the bottom on the unit.
    • Do you known how to re-pair the included remote with the unit? (in-case the remote get disconnected from the unit) Besides performing a full factory reset using the factory-reset button on the bottom of the unit?

• Did you try to use a Harmony IR remote or IR universal remote control with the unit?
    • Did you try to use the CoStar remote to control a (bluetooth enabled) PC, Mac, Laptop or other device? Try these steps

Keyboard:
    link .

• Did you try to pair Logitech Revue' keyboard (K700) with the unit? see these steps

• Did you try to pair Logitech Mini controller with the unit? see These steps

• Did you try to pair any (Bluetooth/RF) keyboard/remote/mouse with the unit?

Headphones:

• Did you try to pair a Bluetooth Headphones with the unit?

STB:

• Did you try to connect & setup any "TiVo" STB with the unit?
    • Did you try to connect & setup any "cable/Satellite" STB with the unit?

Video:

• Did you test an "MPEG" file via media app? (there are several apps and they may give out different results).

Audio:
    1. Audio via streaming Apps:
    Does Netflix app bitstream (pass-through) "5.1 Dolby Digital Plus" (5.1DD+) from HD [5.1] titles? If you have Netflix acc & AVR w/DD+ decoder. Now supported in Firmware version U2.3.1-R
    Does Amazon web-app bitstream (pass-through) "5.1 Dolby Digital" (5.1DD) from HD [5.1] titles?
    Does VUDU app/web bitstream (pass-through) "5.1/7.1Dolby Digital Plus" from HDX titles?

2. Audio via media app:
    DTS audio support,
    - Test a file containing DTS via usb & media app (there are several apps and they may give out different results).
    - Test a file containing DTS via network & media app (there are several apps and they may give out different results).

5.1DD/AC3 audio support,
    - Test a file containing 5.1DD/AC3 via usb & media app (there are several apps and they may give out different results).
    - Test a file containing 5.1DD/AC3 via network & media app (there are several apps and they may give out different results).

DD/AAC audio support,
    - Test a file containing DD/AAC via usb & media app (there are several apps and they may give out different results).
    - Test a file containing DD/AAC via network & media app (there are several apps and they may give out different results).

HD audio support (5.1 DTS-HD Master / 5.1 Dolby TrueHD / 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus),
    - Test a file containing HD audio via usb & media app (there are several apps and they may give out different results).
    - Test a file containing HD audio via network & media app (there are several apps and they may give out different results).

3. Audio HDMI pass-through
    (HDMI-in / HDMI-out)
    :
    Connect a Blue-ray player through the Co-Star and test the following audio format:

DiskAudio-in (soundtracks)Co-StarAudio-outVideo display

BD

DVD

BD

DVD

DVD
    with 5.1 DTS-HD Master

with 5.1 DTS

with 5.1 Dolby TrueHD

with 5.1 Dolby Digital

with 2.0 Dolby Digital

pass through/ transcode / no sound

pass through/ transcode/ no sound

5.1 DTS-HD/ DTS/ PCM

5.1 DTS/ PCM

5.1 TrueHD/ DD / PCM

5.1 DD/ 2.0 DD/ PCM

2.0 DD/ PCM
    1080p/24p /1080p/60 (native / up-scaled)/ no video

1080p/60 (upscale)/
    no video

1080p/24p /1080p/60(native / up-scaled)/ no video

1080p/60 (up-scaled)/ no video

4. Audio HDMI pass-through (HDMI-in / HDMI-out):
    Connect Cable/ satellite/ OTA - STB/ DVR/ PVR through the Co-Star and test the following audio format:

Audio-in Co-StarAudio-outVideo display

with 5.1 DTS

with 5.1 Dolby Digital

with 2.0 Dolby Digital

5.1 DTS/ PCM

5.1 DD/ 2.0 DD/ PCM

2.0 DD/ PCM
    1080p/60 (upscale)/ no video

5. Audio HDMI pass-through (HDMI-in / HDMI-out):
    Connect a Streaming/Media player through the Co-Star and test the following audio format:

Audio-in Co-StarAudio-outVideo display

with 5.1 DTS

with 5.1 Dolby Digital

with 2.0 Dolby Digital

5.1 DTS/ PCM

5.1 DD/ 2.0 DD/ PCM

2.0 DD/ PCM
    1080p/60 (upscale)/ no video

Enjoy ur new gadget ......:)

(edit in progress ...)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  18. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

btw, the Blue text is by "RandomBlue" :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  19. ChrisG8

I have seen confirmation from several that the Co-Star uses the Marvell Armada 1500 although I haven't seen a picture of the box with the top off. I would still put that chip in the comparison chart at this point, believing it is a verified fact.

20. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Done :D

See updated comparison chart - here.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012