Quantcast

Vizio Co-star freaking out

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by SanDiegoSteve, Mar 3, 2014.

1. SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve New Member

Hi guys. I have 2 co-stars that both started freaking out this weekend. I'll be watching, say the TV Player, and get the "force close dialog" for Google Play Music. I'll pick force close, then get the same pop up 2 more times in the next minute. Then the cycle will repeat about 15 minutes later. Google Drive will also crash like this. This behavior persists through reboot. (Why are these apps even starting up in the first place if I'm not using them?) Does this ring a bell as any kind of known issue?

History and Usage:

Got my first Co-star over a year ago. That early version was missing a few things I wanted from the play store, so I ended up doing what it sounds like many of us have, side-loading what I want. All I really cared about that I couldn't get were Amazon MP3 Player and Google Drive. Other apps that I installed from the Play Store were ES File Explorer, Pandora, Media House (DLNA). And I think that's it. I really didn't do *too* much. Over the year, I had the occasional crash and force-close dialog popup, but never too often or systematic enough to worry about.

Maybe around 6 weeks ago, my co-star got into a wacky state where some apps still had the place holders for their icons, but the icons were not there. I could not launch *or* uninstall these apps. So, I decided to factory reset and re-install what I wanted. I then found this forum and installed some stuff from the "Vizio Co-Star Tools For Performance Enhancements" thread. I added the Unistaller, System Tuner, and Cache Cleaner to my usual set of apps.

I bought my second co-star right around then for another TV. Set it up and it was working great.

I then got the latest OS update, maybe 2 weeks ago?

(I should also note I've never done anything special for cooling it. Other than set it on a cool, flat, clean surface, with plenty of space around it.)

And then, all the weirdness just started 2 days ago.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. jphccfc

jphccfc New Member

I had the same problem following the update on my second co-star, I factory reset my second co-star and it seems to be working better now

3. SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve New Member

Thanks! I did this, and so far, so good.

I guess I just didn't think about the factory reset because I had just recently done one.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am a long term Google TV user and my limited experience with side loaded apps has led me to conclude, many, maybe most not available for Google TV aren't for good reason, they won't run worth a hoot on Google TV and clutter RAM or cache doing background functions which results in approved apps not running properly as well as causing the device in general to perform poorly. I did recently install Wi-Fi Adblocker and use it but I think if it is available in the Play Store at some future date, it will be made available to Google TV. I am sure there are exceptions on a case by case basis but in general, I don't run non approved apps and I never, ever, have the problems I see mentioned here despite running more Google TV boxes than anybody.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve New Member

Sure. I would not be surprised that side-loading apps have a negative effect. But again, I was running with my side loaded apps for about a year before funny things started happening. And then, after the software update, funny things started happening right away. On two separate Co-Stars. So, I guess that's really why I got puzzled, because of the sudden change in behavior.

Maybe, I'll experiment by keeping one of them free of side loaded apps and see what happens. Really the only app that I *need* that I have to side load is Amazon MP3 Cloud Player. At least they have a true Video Player now. But if they would make the Android version of their MP3 player Google-TV friendly, I might not have to side-load anything.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is all that puzzling really. The new update wasn't tested with apps not intended for Google TV, we can assume that much with certainty. You might request Vizio test all operating system updates for compatibility with unapproved apps and see what their response is.

7. depasseg

depasseg New Member

Was the update tested for apps intended for Google TV? I have a new costar with the Plex for Plex Pass app, loaded from the Play store. Running fine for a couple months, and out of the blue, I would get pop ups and hangs just like the OP. reboot it, and now I don't have the plex app, nor the play store. That can't be blamed on side-loading.

8. SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve New Member

I am having similar problems. And for the record, I've not side-loaded anything. I've been trying to keep them close to stock after I last posted, and performing a factory reset of course.

On one of my Co-stars, I only installed 2 apps, both from the Play Store: Plex for Google TV, and Pandora for Google TV. I've had trouble playing movies via Plex. I also noticed that when it tried to update some of the existing apps via the Play Store, I got an error for "insufficient space". Again, I've only installed 2 apps, and no media. Going through all the apps, none display a large amount of data or cache, yet the disk usage says I've used 1.8 GB. So, now I'm wondering if a factory reset is not truly a factory reset. Maybe it doesn't actually wipe everything and can get into a wacky state.

So, I guess my next question is, does anybody know how to really wipe everything off the Co-star to start over?

9. ronnycopeh

ronnycopeh Member

mine started a couple of days ago not booting up, I really have had a great experience with the Costar, few side-loaded apps from my dropbox, plex playing my movies, I finally got it to boot up to an error asking to restart or restore to factory, so I chose to reset and its been running smoothly since, it seem to me like over a period of time your need to clear everything if you have a lot of usage like I have.

10. SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve New Member

I definitely agree with this. Unfortunately, I now seem to be at a point where even a factory reset may not be sufficient.

11. SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve New Member

So, I just got off the phone with tech support. They confirm that my factory reset button is not performing a full reset. But because I'm past the warranty, they wont do anything.

Has anybody been able to flash a fresh rom onto this this? Is the stock rom available anywhere? Any success with remote ADB debugging? Anybody have any other ideas?

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

See the following thread for some suggestions. In post # 10 a Co-Star user said he took his unit apart and found another reset button inside his Co-Star. I dunno if this will work for you - but since your unit is out of warranty it's probably worth a try.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...oot-gets-stuck-when-trying-factory-reset.html

13. SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve New Member

Ok, just tried that. No joy. I found the internal button. It seems to be a reboot button, not any kind of factory reset.

For the record, I also tried rooting it, with the intention of manually deleting whatever is taking up all the space. But the root tool that I found also fails because of insufficient space.

So, I will just hobble along with it using only out-of-the-box apps for a short time and pick up an Amazon Fire TV soon.

14. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

No problems to speak of here,only a few minor issues..like google signing me out,yahoo,amazon that kinda stuff..
    I just go back in and click "remember me",and its 50/50 on a day to day basis.

Feels like return to our webtv/msntv days,if any of you have been there,you know exactly what I mean!
    "we promise to update you with so and so by this date....errr okay well maybe not" LOL

15. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Not giving up google tv by any stretch..but that would be fun to get to Fire TV,just to tinker around with it,and see what it does.
    CNET wasn't all that impressed by it,being its minus a browser just like the Costar LT..before long Roku and who knows who else
    will be on that bandwagon,that will be short lived.

16. SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve New Member

I hear ya. I lived a great year and then some before this Co-Star started acting up. I gave it great reviews before that. In fact, I liked it so much, I got a second one.

Does Roku have a browser? I had thought it didn't? Did the latest version change that?

As for a browser on the Fire TV, it is side-loadable, and I'm ok with that.

I'm not really for or against GoogleTV, per se; I just want a box that does everything I want it to do. :)

17. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Here we go again! Having problems with bad AC cord..how do I know this?
    I traded up to the Isgbo3 aka costar newer model..saved the cord from vap430..I was up and running for a good 6 to 8 months.

I bought an identical ac power from amazon...matched up the serial number..I'll be back on costar in a day or so.the seller is up in SF...so no biggie there..I got my tablet to make amends lol

18. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Not s
    Not sure if roku has a browser or not...I'm not a huge fan of android TV yet..but if I can unify my google TV revue keyboard,then its a thought in process.

my mom asked me about fire TV since she has the Hdx.. I told her I'd look into that for her
    As well