Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star and HDHomeRun Prime with DLNA (beta)?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by ssp, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ssp

ssp New Member

I have HDHomeRun Prime (3 tuners with CableCard) with DLNA beta firmware.
    This one works well with XBMC installed on Nexus 7 32G. I added HDHomeRun Live folder under DLNA source of the XBMN and able to see the live TV feed from the HDHomeRun box DIRECTLY. SD works very well. I need to be very close to my WI-Fi Router (FiOs) to run the HD channels smoothly. Unfortunately, Nexus 7 is not an appropriate STB for TVs. Therefore, I am trying Co-Star. But, I had lot of trouble with Co-Star. It does not recognize HDMRP as appropriate DMS for contents purpose. Eventually, I was using a UPNP controller on Nexus 7 to force HDMRP as a source toward Co-Start build-in player. It worked to some extent but bad choppy video quality even for SD channels. I was so excited and happily accepted the firmware upgrade (which I believe to upgrade to GoogleTV 3). But after that upgrade, it always has trouble to display any channel. On the HDHRP log, it indicated that Co-Star is not compliant with the DLNA spec now. Has anyone ever tried this type of combination with whatever the Co-Star firmware built? I also installed XBMC on Co-Star, but every time it started with fatal error, I have to uninstall it eventually. I also tried to use MediaHouse UPnP on it, but can not find a good video player to pair with it. The buildt-in on does not work.

2. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I will give it another go on mine, I am running the same set up, I don't use the combo much because I don't have a AVR to provide audio, last time I tried I was able to view channels ok using ViMu(GTV Box) but no audio so I didn't do much. I also am running the original project connect firmware on the prime. Is your co-star connected wifi or wired? Wifi doesn't seem to funciton well for me from the prime to any device there is simply just too much overhead in raw mpeg video, but when wired it functions flawlessly.

3. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Well, I got bad news my friend....I suspect mpeg playback has been either broken, or removed. I am getting the same experience you are getting at this point, no go on any channel on any player. Even my recordings from WMC no longer will load. I plan on further testing to see if its a WTV file issue or if mpeg is truly broken now. As for XBMC, its currently not supported on GTV at all, until google releases NDK support for GTV we will not see XBMC :(

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  4. ssp

ssp New Member

I am able to make it work last night. Co-Star with the newest firmware, the PlayPoint is broken and the HDHomeRun Prime log indicated the followings.

HTTP: rejecting video request from 192.168.1.15 due to range tag - DMP/DMR is not compliant with DLNA 7.5.4.3.2.10.7 MT HTTP Header requirements (Dec 2011)
    I gave up PlayPoint the download BubbleUPNP and ViMu Lite. The combination of these two works together for me to get both SD and HD channels showing reasonable well.
    My Co-Star, HDHomeRun Prime are all hardwired to the FiOs router 1G Ethernet ports.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Interesting, I have the full version of ViMu and cannot get it to show as a device on my BubbleUPNP, For some reason I have had a lot of problems with DLNA and my co-star, sometimes if connected via WiFi nothing will show, others it works fine, now wired, I see PlayPoint but no ViMu running or not, must be time for a new router.

6. ssp

ssp New Member

The Renderers list in BubbleUPNP would not list ViMu, you have to choose Local Renderer.
    After that I move to Library, then go to Cable (or Premium Cable) TV folder to select the channel
    After that, it ask me to choose the Video Player, I select ViMu also make it the default, to not ask next time.
    Then ViMu ask me Open HTTP link as, I select Live stream. There you go, it shows the live TV feed.
    I am new to Android, live in the comfortable Apple iOS for so long, not really good on Google TV at all.
    I assume you are very experience with Android, Google TV, anyway to make channel hopping easier? I don't think my family member would be happy need to go many steps to channel.
    What's the best way to make the Channel up/down (either the Co-Star remote or a Google TV remote app on Nexus 7) works like we do with a traditional Remote with STB box?
    Please provide details to setup, I am really new to Android. BTW, I intend to ditch the FiOS STB when this Co-Star is setup to friendly to other family members, who do not want to really learn new steps just to watch the traditional TV channel.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  7. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Ok so you are using bubble upnp on the co-star itself? I was just using from the phone I will have to try that, I know it wont load from ViMu Direct in my environment.
    Right now there is NO easy way of dealing with channel changes, essentially the dlna device see's the stream as any other "video" in dlna not as a tv tuner. About the only "Easy" solution would be to actually add more equipment unfortunately. If you are using the Prime with WMC as a DVR you could pick up one of the Ceton Echo boxes to replace the Fios STB, then the Co-Star to provide the "Smart" features WMC does not have, Or one could use a Pivios Xios DS unit with XBMC installed in combination with the TV guide plugin for xbmc for a "backend less" solution. That will take some serious set up though. I feel your pain though, I too am looking for a replacement solution for my providers STB for live tv with the Co-Star at this point. I honestly think I am going to build a second low end HTPC for use with the co-star.

I am using my HTPC connected to the GTV through HDMI in conjunction with a flirc ir reciever programmed with the codes from my cable STB to control WMC with the GTV remote as if it was a set top box, WAF is way up from what things were, I have even been able to mostly put away my harmony remote, the only thing I use it for at this point is additional control of my AVR.

8. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Ok, got it back up on my co-star following your instructions, but as I suspected no audio, glad to know it was just a communication issue most likely, still odd that ViMu wont pick it up without being forced by BubbleUpnp.

9. ssp

ssp New Member

Do you have a way to set ViMu to NOT ask "Open HTTP link as" question? I like it to work in the least steps.
    I am look for simple STB box replacement solution with LOW energy consumption. I notice that WMC is very user friendly, but don't like to run a high power HTPC, as I only watch TV maybe 2 hours a day and like it on/off easily (not waiting for a PC to start up) and we have 4 TVs with only two persons. Maybe I'll try Raspberry Pi loaded with XBMC as the next possibility. Do you have other mini/low energy HTPC hardware candidate?

10. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Raspberry Pi would be an alternative although its not going to be your easiest set up, and I know there are bugs with it. I haven't used it so I can't confirm really anything for sure. I think your best bet really would be the PIvios Xios, loaded with XBMC/TV Guide Plugin and then you can point the "channels" in the guide to .strm files you create for the prime. Of course this is all in theory, I know it works on my HTPC without problems but might not be so great on the Pivios, you might check out the forums over there to see if anyone is running it in that configuration. I am kinda in your boat right now looking for a low power/easy setup/high WAF solution but I really don't think there is anything right now, I suspect in time Project Connect will include some sort of guide or at least an app that will provide the data, it would be really nice if Primetime would intergrate with the Prime.

11. ssp

ssp New Member

When you said Pivois Xios, did you mean using Prime on DLNA capability or the the standard capability before the Beta project? In XBMC v12, it seems to need a backend to support the live TV Channels, which I am not sure can run on the same box with enough CPU power. I was experimenting NextPVR on PC and couldn't get it up. I am looking for single box solution instead of another backend PC. Just don't know whether some has experience to make the DLNA (Prime Live folder) easily integrated with the standard TV Channel switching GUI, up/down, numeric channel number entry, etc. TV guide is nice but not necessary for me.

12. randykc

randykc New Member

Have you heard of an MK808 dual core Android TV box? I just picked one up for around 50 bucks on amazon and was able to successfully load and run the XBMC Android build on it. I was quite surprised for such a small device.

13. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Currently there is no "easy solution" without a backend or some involved configuration. That being said:

You can trick Xbmc into playing Live TV without a backend, To do this you would need to install the TV Guide plugin Add-on:TV Guide - XBMC This addon uses XMLTV(which will need to run periodically on a pc to retrieve the guide listing data and transfer to your android, or a webserver somehwere) to produce a Guide of your listings. Once that is done you can point each channel to a "source" either the dlna on the prime, or you can create .strm files representing each channel. Using this method from what I understand you can even create guides for online "channels" and incorporate those into your guide.

this is what is inside my channel 8 strm file, it will auto pick a tuner not in use for tuning and return the stream to xbmc.
    Code:
    http://192.168.1.5:5004/auto/v8
    Once you have every channel set up and pointing to a source you can browse the guide and change channels.

Really need to keep in mind Project Connect is still in its infancy, and there just aren't a lot of developers working on things for it just yet.

14. ssp

ssp New Member

I was experimenting on a Windows 7 machine with XBMC, preparing myself for a possible Rasperry Pi install.
    I did something like you described, manually created SOME of the *.strm files and saved them all in a directory, then I enabled the TV Guide add-on and get to it. When I clicked on the program, it promoted me to choose the *.strm, and I did. That channel then would be tied to corresponding Prime channel. However, I found that I am tired of editing all the *.strm files (Google around to find some utility to do that for me, not running well). I then found that I can do add source under Video -> Files and browse to the Prime under the UPnP and select the Live folder. This will basically create all the *.strm file for me, just don't know where they are located. I then went back to TV guide to do the click again, but NOT select strm file from my own local folder but from the source that was created when I added Prime UPNP Live folder. This way, we do not need to manually create our own *.strm files. Now, the question to you, how do I UPDATE the channels that I already assigned strm file earlier? There seems no way to update the channel with a new strm file --- I would like to abandon all the *strm files I created and assign ALL the channels with the ones from the Live source.

15. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Highlight a the channel in question and press C on your keyboard to bring up the context menu, it will allow you to "watch", "choose stream" or "remind" :) Personally I feel your pain as far as creating the stream files, it is a pain but, so is having to reconfigure the streams because the dlna connection to the prime has been lost. At least in my environment I have had to re-connect xbmc to the prime's dlna server for one reason or another. Needless to say the WAF of this solution was below par and I ended up using WMC.

I truly hope you have better luck then I did, and please keep me posted how the experience with the Pi goes. I have been considering one for some time now for this very project, but the wife is very tired of my Attempts and just wants a solution that works, hence the WMC.