Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star And Google Drive Live (WORKS LIKE A CHARM) NEW!

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Wisdom, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Vizio Co-Star And Google Drive Live (WORKS LIKE A CHARM)
    *BETTER THAN DLNA (WORKS ON ALL GTV DEVICES)
    *A MUST HAVE ON YOUR GTV DEVICE (YOU ASKED FOR IT)

Install Google Drive on your PC first, must be on the same home network as your Co-Star or other GTV device ... Get The PC Version HERE https://drive.google.com/?utm_sourc...ve&utm_term=carousel&usp=about_start#my-drive ..

Next, install Google Drive Mobile app onto Your Co-Star or other GTV device (Side Loading Required) ... Get Google Drive Mobile app HERE com.google.android.apps.docs-1.apk ...

Another easy way to side load app to your GTV device and share files and play video, movies and music on your GTV device, Just Like DLNA, sweet ....

*Please Note: Google Drive has it's own movie player (Video Player) built IN ... I'm testing a DVDRIP now, it looks just awesome, I'm really surprise at how well it looks ... Oh! This is the easiest way to Side Load apps ever ...(lol)

*When you play a Mp3, it will ask if you want to use Google Music or ES File Explorer ...

*Also you can put your files in different folders, if you want too ...

[​IMG]

The above maybe coming soon, keep your fingers crossed ....(l0l)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Thanks Google, Google Drive is just awesome ...!

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

You can get the Android mobile phone Google Drive app here free https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DEsImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLmRvY3MiXQ ....

If using the mobile phone app with the Co-Star or other Google TV devices please use the link in post # 1(Side Loading Is Required) ....
    Description

* With Google Drive, you can store all your files in one place, so you can access them from anywhere and share them with others

* Use the Google Drive Android app to access your photos, documents, videos and other files stored on your Google Drive

* Upload files to Google Drive directly from your Android device

* Share any file with your contacts

* Access files others have shared with you on Google Drive

* Make any file available offline so you can view them even when you don't have an Internet connection

* Manage files on the go

* Create and edit Google documents with support for tables, comments and rich text formatting

* Create and edit Google spreadsheets with support for text formatting, multiple sheets and sorting

* Edits to your Google documents and spreadsheets appear to collaborators in seconds

* View Google presentations with full animations and speaker notes

* View your PDFs, Office documents and more

* Scan documents, receipts and letters for safe keeping in Drive; then search by contents once uploaded

* Print files stored in Google Drive on the go using Google Cloud Print

* Open files stored in Google Drive through Drive enabled apps in the browser

* Optimized experience to take advantage of larger screens for tablet users, Honeycomb (Android 3.0+)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

It's not better than DLNA.. it's just different. Google Drive space is limited (15G free), and would be streamed over your external connection (ie. 10 Mbps)

DLNA would (likely) be from local network.. much faster (I have GbE at home), and presumably much more storage too (3TB drive in my server).

ie. No one is going to upload a large collection of movies to Google Drive. A single BluRay rip wouldn't even fit on Google Drive.

Might be good for pictures... music you should already be sending thru the Google Music app.

Google drive is nice for documents, etc... I fail to see how this is overly useful for HT.

And yes, when they finally update GTV to JB (no rush guys....) we can finally, hopefully run XBMC and VLC.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Wow, here you go again, I can tell you have not tried this yet, because you don't know what you are talking about again ..(lol)

If you want more than 15GB you can get that too ... I have already played a full length movie and music too, dude please ....(lol)

*Almost like DLNA, you are getting files from your network, the folders are on your computer ...

*PlayPoint, Plex, and and Serviio is all the DLNA I need via my Co-Stars ...(lol)

6. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I use google drive every day. If you want more than 15G, you have to pay. Google Drive files live in the CLOUD. You can cache items locally, but with only 4G of local storage, you won't be caching a BluRay rip (unless you downmix), and at that point why did you bother sending them out to the cloud, just to copy them back from the cloud, when you could have just used sneaker-net and connected a local drive. Google Drive will be a nice addition.. but it won't solve the bigger issues with the CoStar. We need the JB update for that.

and regardless it appears you jumped the gun. According to the Play store

7. SolutionsEtc

SolutionsEtc Member

I too see little point in copying vids up to Drive and then down to Co-Star. Huge waste of bandwidth.

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Dude please, you don't know what you are talking about man ...! you are trying so hard to criticize something you don't even have knowledge of nor understand ...

Are you in your right mind, do you actually think I'm going to post something that doesn't work with the Vizio Co-Star ...?(l0l) :cool:

Did you actually take time and read the above post # 1 ... I have already tested Google Drive on the Co-Star already (WORKS LIKE A CHARM) ...

Guy truly, I don't have time for your mess ...!(l0l)

9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

They are lots of other things you do besides videos, movies and music, these are side benefits, come on now guy ....(l0l)

10. SolutionsEtc

SolutionsEtc Member

Although my comment was purely in the context of media, I still don't see the point. While I like Drive for accessing files on the road and collaboration on documents, neither of these apply to my Co-Star.

From the Co-Star, I can access (and stream) any file on my lan using File Explorer. What more is needed?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I was speaking purley in the context of media also ... Another thing Google Drives offers, it's the easiest way of all time for Side Loading apps to your Co-Star or other GTV devices ....(lol)

12. SolutionsEtc

SolutionsEtc Member

How is uploading an apk to Drive easier than just opening it directly from your lan?

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Dude it basically the same, it's already there, but it will be a faster install direct from the folder ...

Some people think they are real smart, they don't think about, what if I have to do a hard reset, then I will have to Side Load all my apps from "Lan" all over again, takes a long time too ...(lol)

That's why I have all my Co-Star Side Load apps in a folder, where I can reinstall them at UFO light speed if needed ... If I have to do a hard reset and reinstall my Side Load apps, it can be done very fast, but to each his own ...(lol)

14. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

We have thought about it.... you are too busy trying to make a mountain out of a molehill new feature... a feature that seemingly isn't available to anyone else yet anyway (Google play still says Drive is not compatible with the Co-Star)

A folder on your LAN will be faster than a folder on Google Drive. The folder on your LAN will more easily also have more space.

With the JB update (whenever the heck that happens) we hopefully won't be sideloading anyway.. I dislike loading apps someone else has had the chance to tamper with.

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Ok, thank you very much for you opinion, take care dude ...

16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

*Side Loading Apps

Just because a app will (Side Load) on to your Co-Star does not meant it will be good for your Co-Star ...

If you decide to (Side Load) a app to your Co-Star, ONLY install one at a time, never ever (Side Load) several apps at one time ...

The way to install (Side Load) a app to your Co-Star is test the app for several days first, if no problems proceed to the next app and do the same for several days ...

This way you will know which app is causing your Co-Star to act in a erratic behavior if you should encounter issues ...

Installing (Side Loading) several app at one time has caused a lot of Co-Stars to be returned to Vizio, nothing was wrong with the Co-Star, the problem was a incompatible app, even though the app loaded perfect, yet it was incompatible with the Co-Star ...

Always install the "Orientation Control" apk FIRST with this app you can delete all the other screen orientations, you are ONLY interested in the "Landscape Mode" .... *Get Complete instructions and software for (Side Loading) apps on to Your Co-Star HERE The Easiest Way To Side Load Apps On To Your Vizio Co-Star ......

*A list of apps that can be install (Side Loaded) on to the Co-Star by "TomTheMan", can be found HERE Working Apps for Google TV ...

*PLEASE NOTE: Install (Side Load) apps on to your Vizio Co-Star at your own risk, I take no responsibilty for what you do with your Vizio Co-Star* ....!

17. joecitizen

joecitizen New Member

My First Co-star worked with Google Drive, however, The Co-Star kicked the bucket and Vizio sent me a new one. Now, Google Drive Doesn't even Show in the Play store. Vizio said It doesn't support it any longer. It's Google? Now answer me this... Was it ever in Play store or did I side load it? If it was in the play store before and they took it off in a months time.. I'm not Side loading that app. Because if I side loaded it before. It screwed up my last Co-star(Maybe) I can't remember for the life of me wether I side loaded it or if I got it from the Play store.

18. dellb

dellb New Member

A Google search for Vizio Co-Star Office App or Office Suite brought me here. The Google Drive app mentioned above worked, but also successful was a sideloaded copy of "Docs To Go". Three that failed were Microsoft, WPS Office, and OfficeSuite7.
    Cheers...