Quantcast

Vizio Co-Star $99 Dollar Google TV & OnLive Gaming Box Preorders Now; Coming Aug 14th

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Jul 24, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Previously we shared that the Vizio Co-Star $99 Dollar Google TV box with built-in support for OnLive Cloud gaming service would be coming soon. We now have additional details. The amazingly priced little device is already available for preorder, and will be available for retail on August 14th. This could be the most successful Google TV yet, especially with the slew of features packed into that affordable price: It's hardware includes two HDMI ports, one USB port, and one Ethernet jack. It's software includes Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Youtube, and OnLive gaming support. Additionally we will likely see support for both XBMC and Plex for your media streaming needs. It's hard to go wrong for just a "Benjamin."

Source: Vizio - Co-Star

2. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

Hopefully one more clever people will be able to root it and then we realy have something then. :)

3. phoenixskyrider

phoenixskyrider New Member

I guess gamers and multimedia fans are in for a treat. With a range of features, software list and hardware configuration, this is by far the best Google Tv we have ever had.

4. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

does the sony have any real advantage over the co-star at double the price? i can't seem to find any real reason to stick with sony?

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would pay the premium for the Sony personally but we really can't know yet how either product is going to perform over the long run. Based on owning the first generation models, Sony NSZ-GT1 and Logitech Revue, in my opinion the Sony was worth the premium, hardware is better and updates are timely and better and now Logitech has apparently abandoned the Revue. Once again with the second generation the hardware appears superior to me, 2 USB ports and optical audio output for the Sony, and what appears to be a better controller. I expect Sony will do far better in terms of product firmware updates, compare the company's history with Blu-ray player firmware updates, Sony is among the best and I don't think Vizio has a department capable of handling the job. Who makes the Vizio Google TV box, can that company handle proper and timely firmware updates? I have no idea but based on having owned products requiring support over the last few years, I will venture a guess Sony can do it and Vizio can't.

I plan to live with my first gen boxes since I can make them do what I want, assuming there is no killer application available only for the second generation. If there is ultimately a compelling reason to move to the second gen box and I must have it, I will likely buy the Sony Blu-ray/Google TV.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

I have a Vizio 47" HDTV for about 2 years and it was one of their first for this particular model. So I had to call them a few times. I found their support to be top notch. Their reps are very professional and patient.

7. halox

halox New Member

We'll have to see when it comes out. My biggest concern is the fact that the Vizio isn't vanilla GTV ... it's got its own UI and skin. My experience in the past with Android is that sort of stuff really makes updating the software overall slower ... It's my hope that the Sony will be updated with the latest android OS faster than its Vizio counterpart, and that's why I'm sticking with Sony.

Only time will tell.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I also own a Vizio HDTV, mine is about 3 years old now, a 42" model. It has been good so far but it is one thing to have staff to answer questions about HDTVs, the company has sold many millions of those and another to have expertise to develop firmware and address bugs and problems with computers and computer like appliances. I know Vizio is trying to expand into laptops, smart TV and Blu-ray players but there is no track record. Vizio might make $5 per Google TV box sold at $100 after warranty repairs and returns, not much to provide for staff to handle firmware updates. I know I would take my chances with Sony or LG.

9. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

vizio seems to be invested in this though. the reason for slow updates on android phones/tablets isn't so much the skin it's the manufacturer and the approval process. i just wish the nexus q would have been a google tv. would love a nexus google tv.

10. zen2go

zen2go New Member

11. Shaun-ohio

Shaun-ohio New Member

does anyone know when more of these are going to become available? i check everyday on the website and it still says they are sold out of all the stock they had?