Quantcast

Vizio Co-star + 5.3.0 updt + MKV with sound

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by guigow, Nov 3, 2013.

1. guigow

guigow New Member

Just bought a Co-star, updated to 5.3.0 and then tried to watch a MKV from my USB drive.

I've got NO SOUND. I tried tons of MKV's and all of them played without sound.

I passed 2 hours reading the forum trying to find the solution, but i couldn't find.

Anyone has a simple solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

MKV is just a container and that tells us nothing about the audio codec being used. Here is the list of codecs handled by the Co-Star.

Video and audio formats - ViMu Player - Your Google TV Media player

DTS audio for one example can't be played by the Co-Star. Let us know which codecs are being used and we should be able to figure out whether or not the Co-Star can handle the audio.

3. guigow

guigow New Member

Hi Chris..

Basically, all MKV files i have are using AC3 codec for the audio.

I can play all MKV's just fine, but all of them without audio.

I will not give up on the co-star, even if it's a very disappointing failure, i know that it's fixable. So let's play.

4. ChrisG8

According to the link I provided for you above, AC3 MKV is pass through only, you must have the Co-Star connected to a Dolby Digital decoder by HDMI if that is correct and I have no reason to believe it isn't. The Co-Star audio out setting must be correct as well:

Settings>Audio>Auto (not PCM which would require the Co-Star be able to decode AC3 MKV audio).

I haven't tried it personally so I have no first hand experience, I don't have much in way of files to play with Google TV.

5. guigow

guigow New Member

I bought the Co-star just because the keyboard side of the remote control.. To use youtube and Google chrome.

But my main usage is for MKV playback, so i'm not using the device for now.

I have a WDTV Live that is still being my media player. As soon as i fix this, i'll change to the Co-star.

6. guigow

guigow New Member

I figured out that the only solution for me is buying an APP called Vimu player.. It's supposed to play mkv's with ac3 sound.

Is that really the only solution??

7. ChrisG8

The link above was provided by the ViMu developer, ViMu is a great app in my opinion but I don't believe it is the only media player that will allow playback of files with AC3 audio, assuming the Co-Star is connected to the proper decoder. It will not allow you to play anything connected directly to your Co-Star that isn't handled according to the ViMu link I provided above. If the Co-Star is updated by Vizio to Android 4.2.2, things may change. There is a thread here in the general Google TV section on the Vimu player app, you might read it to decide whether or not to install the player.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/4075-gtvbox-vimu-player-support.html

The developer is active in that thread and unlike me, he has a good technical understanding of the ability of the Co-Star to play various audio codecs used with MKV files.

8. guigow

guigow New Member

Thanks Chris, i'll check it out.

9. kaiguy

kaiguy New Member

If you have a large library of media that won't play nice on your Co-Star, without having to re-encode everything, you can utilize Plex to transcode your media.

The only drawback is you'll need to run the Plex Media Server (free) on a running computer (Windows, Mac, Linux) that can handle real-time transcodes (any of the Intel "i" processors, for example, and even some old Core2 Duos and above to be on the safe side) and a $1 Google TV Plex app and you're up and running.

Personally, I serve all my media through Plex, to multiple devices (Co-Star, Sony Google TV, Roku 2, HTPC, iPad, iPhone, etc.), and it works flawlessly, either at home or on the road. The majority of my MKVs are 1080p with DTS, and Plex only transcodes the audio for the Co-Star. The video comes through untouched, also requiring less CPU power.

10. guigow

guigow New Member

Hi kaiguy, thanks for your reply.

The app called vimu, seems to work for my MKVs with ac3, without any kind of conversion and i don't need my computer to be ON, being a server.

But the fact is that i feel like a loser having to buy an app to play my files. I trust the co-star capability as hardware.

11. kaiguy

kaiguy New Member

Ehh, the GTV isn't the best as far as supporting all formats under the sun. You'd probably be better off with a Popcorn hour or some other video-centric device in that case. The Co-Star does a bunch of things, but nothing exceptionally well IMHO. But the fact that you can get (buy) apps to suit your needs makes it much more versatile, albeit not all that many Android apps are compatible with the Google TV. Just my opinion.