Quantcast

Vizio Brings Back $100 Google TV Box with OnLive Gaming Built-in

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Jun 26, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Vizio is reentering the Google TV market with a new product. They just issued a press release announcing this new Google TV Box for just $99.99. It's called the Vizio Co-Star. Additionally, this new Vizio Co-Star Google TV Box will also include OnLive Cloud Gaming built-in. Check out the new Vizio Co-Star Forum on GoogleTVForum.org here: Vizio Co-Star

Here's the press release with full details,

2. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Good price, esp if it comes with the game controller. Anyone plans to get this? I hope the interface is cleaner than the revue as its kinda buggy and slow. Anyone knows the hardware specs of the box?

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is correct to say Vizio is reentering the Google TV market since they never left as a result of never being in the Google TV market in the first place until this product. For $100 if the processor is up to the task, it is a killer deal in my opinion. Hopefully it will use the Marvell Armada 1500 Dual Core ARM SoC but I haven't seen confirmation of that yet.

Is the remote backlit?

4. ChrisG8

I see no way the game controller can be included at that price, most likely a $50 option.

5. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

How much more powerful is that chip when compared to the one in the revue? How much more ram? Can it support ICS?

6. ChrisG8

Different architecture, different approach to task handling, I am not technical enough to know how the Intel Atom CE4100 compares to the Marvell Armada 1500 ARM. Hopefully somebody else with technical expertise can explain why the ARM chip is to be preferred, all I can say is I believe it should be. Eferz, where are you when we need you? I haven't seen RAM specification yet. I believe either chip is capable of ICS and hopefully the first generation boxes get that update as well although when it comes to the Revue, I would say that is unlikely, I would only consider the Sony Google TV devices as likely to be updated to Android 4.0.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I was interested to read this statement from the press release:

"Integrated USB port connects to hard drives, keyboards and other peripherals. "

I don't own a computer so I probably do more typing than many GTV users. I'm not sure if I'll like typing on the tiny keys with the new remote. I understand it's supposed to be done with thumbs? But I don't own a smart phone either so I've never really tried the whole thumb typing thing. Frankly I was perfectly happy with the Revue keyboard. So it's nice to see it mentioned that the USB port on the new Vizio box will support keyboards.

But I'm wondering if Vizio plans on making an optional keyboard available? Wouldn't an ordinary keyboard lack certain GTV functionality - as the GTV controller has certain command keys?

8. ChrisG8

I don't own a smart phone but I do own the previous Sony Google TV and I will say I love the Logitech fullsize keyboard in comparison to the tiny thumb qwerty keyboards.

9. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

At the Vizio website ( vizio.com ) you can learn more about costar. I noticed that on the company website it 's clear that only the keypad (2 sided) and settop box are included. No seperate controller for games in that $100 package.

I'm not a gamer but I'm pretty sure that the included keypad will not give the complete experience that gamers are looking for so be prepared to spend some addtional funds for that functionality.

Here's the image of the 2 sided remote.
    [​IMG]